Which is More Valuable: Interior or Edge Rush?

HoboRocket

I see the benefits of both, but I'm an interior guy. If I'm picking a player who will get 14 sacks and a ton of pressure, I would rather have it be the 3-tech than edge rushers, just because I believe it affects the QB more and wrecks gameplans more to lose the pocket. It's also just so rare to get that type of production from an interior defender versus an edge rushers.

This whole thing came up because of a Josh Allen or Quinnen Williams debate for the Jets. In my opinion, if Allen is playing just base end (which I think he would in a Gregg Williams defense), then he'll still be good, but not as productive as he would be in a 3-4. I expect 8-10 sacks a year in that case, and Williams could offer the exact same production, but as a 3-tech. 

That issue/prospect evaluation aside, how do you value edge rush versus interior pressure if the production is about even?

• Like 1

For me it's interior because a QB hates nothing more than pressure up the middle.  If your interior sucks not only do you allow more in the run game easier which later sets up play action and makes the QB's life alot easier.  But not giving the QB a pocket to step up into and making them roll out to throw is usually where alot of mistakes can happen.  It's hard to find a very good one who can do both run stuff and pass rush but when you do they impact the game more than any other position on defense to me.

• Like 2

If it's the same amount of pressure being generated, interior. But interior pressure is harder and the guys that are great at it are rarer, so you may still be better off and have more production from say, the 10th best edge rusher, than you would from the 10th best interior rusher.

• Like 1

I really think the quarterback matters in this scenario. I think guys that are legit threats to run the football out of the pocket I'd prefer to have edge rushers against. Keep them contained between the tackles if at all possible (or they have to double back around), and keep them shuffling through the scrum of bodies. If we are talking about guys like Rivers and Eli who aren't going to move, i want interior all day. But against Wilson / Allen / Jackson /etc? I think I'd prefer it from the outside. If they see that interior pressure get through and then break containment, that's going to create all sorts of problems for a defense. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2019 at 9:05 PM, Daniel said:

Edge rush is more important.  There's a reason there's more of a premium on edge rushers than interior D-line.

Well yeah that’s because there’s only one Aaron Donald. And there way more edge rushers than Donald’s.