It appears Landon Collins will wear #36

turtle28

21 needs to just be retired. For me it’s just the way in which he passed, being a hero to his family and that means more than anything he ever did or could’ve accomplished on the field. I want the number retired to honor him and the human being he had become. No one should ever wear that number in the burgundy and gold again. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

21 needs to just be retired. For me it’s just the way in which he passed, being a hero to his family and that means more than anything he ever did or could’ve accomplished on the field. I want the number retired to honor him and the human being he had become. No one should ever wear that number in the burgundy and gold again. 

I can go either way on it. Part of me wants it retired, part of me doesn't feel his career was long enough to earn a retired jersey. The way he died was tragic.

Does that mean his Jersey should’ve been retired?

I don't know. It seems weird to retire a jersey for a guy who never reached his potential even though the reason he didn't was bc he was shot. I mean basically, Sean has become more loved after his death than before. 

Does that earn a jersey retirement? Do you earn a retired jersey after your playing time is up? 

Seems odd.

I mean Lavar Arington had a great first 4  years of his career and his career ended tragically bc of a motorcycle accident in NY - after Gibbs cut him - but he doesn't get jersey retirement basically bc why... He didn't die? 

Snyder, Redskins public relations, Redskins Nation and the fan base have done a great job keeping Sean’s legacy alive but retirement of his jersey just seems odd to me bc his career was cut short.

I actually was thinking about a great way to honor Sean the other say. We should let the best playing DB wear #21 during the season. They do that in college when a player dies tragically or gets catastrophically hurt.  Seems to me that could be incentive for the DBs to play better, to earn the right to wear Sean's jersey.

Sean was my favorite player.....the only Jersey I own is a Taylor throw back. Kevin Sheehan made this point on his podcast. I couldn't care less who wears 21 as long as we win. No one in the Daniel Snyder era deserves to have there Jersey retired. Start winning and run a respectable organization...then we can talk about what jersey numbers matte r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just now, Marcus21 said:

Sean was my favorite player.....the only Jersey I own is a Taylor throw back. Kevin Sheehan made this point on his podcast. I couldn't care less who wears 21 as long as we win. No one in the Daniel Snyder era deserves to have there Jersey retired. Start winning and run a respectable organization...then we can talk about what jersey numbers matte r!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t care what Sheehan said. There’s more to it with Sean than just winning and I’m kind of shocked people don’t understand this? The kid died protecting his family the least the organization can do is honor his number. There’s a ton of other numbers available, pick one. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I can go either way on it. Part of me wants it retired, part of me doesn't feel his career was long enough to earn a retired jersey. The way he died was tragic.

Does that mean his Jersey should’ve been retired?

I don't know. It seems weird to retire a jersey for a guy who never reached his potential even though the reason he didn't was bc he was shot. I mean basically, Sean has become more loved after his death than before. 

Does that earn a jersey retirement? Do you earn a retired jersey after your playing time is up? 

Seems odd.

I mean Lavar Arington had a great first 4  years of his career and his career ended tragically bc of a motorcycle accident in NY - after Gibbs cut him - but he doesn't get jersey retirement basically bc why... He didn't die? 

Snyder, Redskins public relations, Redskins Nation and the fan base have done a great job keeping Sean’s legacy alive but retirement of his jersey just seems odd to me bc his career was cut short.

I actually was thinking about a great way to honor Sean the other say. We should let the best playing DB wear #21 during the season. They do that in college when a player dies tragically or gets catastrophically hurt.  Seems to me that could be incentive for the DBs to play better, to earn the right to wear Sean's jersey.

Oh turtle, don’t compare Sean and LaVar. Please don’t do that. 

26 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Oh turtle, don’t compare Sean and LaVar. Please don’t do that. 

It was an example of a career cut short by injury and bc of that potential wasn’t reached, not a comparison of what they meant to the fan base.

8 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

What do you think of my idea of the best DB during the year earning the right to we're #21 say the second half of the year?

I think there’s probably some issues with picking a “best DB.” How do you determine it? Best metrics? Big plays? Highest effort? Most leadership? Who was better in last year’s first half, Swearinger or Dunbar? I think it was Dunbar, but many would say otherwise. Does it take into account the fact that Dunbar covered a lot of #2 WRs and Norman traveled with some of the best guys? Does it take into account that it’s harder to play CB on the outside at a high level than, say, SS or slot corner? Does it affect team chemistry or morale for the coaches to come out and announce “we think player X is better than player Y”?

To me, 21 should be retired. It means too much to too many people, and it’s become almost mythologized at this point. Why put that sorta pressure on somebody, to try to live up to the legend of Sean Taylor? Even I agree that the “legend” is much bigger than what the player himself actually contributed — but the heart of the legend is about what could/would have been had he not died protecting his family. 

It’s a 53-man roster and there are 90+ numbers that the Redskins have no reason to worry about assigning to any new players. I think it’s okay to allow  

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think there’s probably some issues with picking a “best DB.” How do you determine it? Best metrics? Big plays? Highest effort? Most leadership? Who was better in last year’s first half, Swearinger or Dunbar? I think it was Dunbar, but many would say otherwise. Does it take into account the fact that Dunbar covered a lot of #2 WRs and Norman traveled with some of the best guys? Does it take into account that it’s harder to play CB on the outside at a high level than, say, SS or slot corner? Does it affect team chemistry or morale for the coaches to come out and announce “we think player X is better than player Y”?

To me, 21 should be retired. It means too much to too many people, and it’s become almost mythologized at this point. Why put that sorta pressure on somebody, to try to live up to the legend of Sean Taylor? Even I agree that the “legend” is much bigger than what the player himself actually contributed — but the heart of the legend is about what could/would have been had he not died protecting his family. 

It’s a 53-man roster and there are 90+ numbers that the Redskins have no reason to worry about assigning to any new players. I think it’s okay to allow  

True

Archived