It appears Landon Collins will wear #36

turtle28

22 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t care what Sheehan said. There’s more to it with Sean than just winning and I’m kind of shocked people don’t understand this? The kid died protecting his family the least the organization can do is honor his number. There’s a ton of other numbers available, pick one. 

I don’t care what you say!! Sean is and will always be a legend in DC. Some one wearing his number in no way tarnishes his legacy. Finishing above .500, winning a playoff game, having an organization that is not a perennial dumpster fire is what I care about. NO ONE under the Snyder years deserves their number retired. Not Portis, Samuels, Moss, Bailey....not even Taylor! We are in our 3rd decade of losing, and people are outraged about a jersey number! 🤦‍♀️ 

2 minutes ago, Marcus21 said:

I don’t care what you say!! Sean is and will always be a legend in DC. Some one wearing his number in no way tarnishes his legacy. Finishing above .500, winning a playoff game, having an organization that is not a perennial dumpster fire is what I care about. NO ONE under the Snyder years deserves their number retired. Not Portis, Samuels, Moss, Bailey....not even Taylor! We are in our 3rd decade of losing, and people are outraged about a jersey number! 🤦‍♀️ 

Some things are bigger than football.

19 minutes ago, Marcus21 said:

Yeah, you don’t get it at all. It’s not just about football. This is what you’re failing to understand. 

On 3/24/2019 at 12:45 PM, lavar703 said:

Yeah, you don’t get it at all. It’s not just about football. This is what you’re failing to understand. 

There's an argument to be made that it should be just about football though, not about - sorry to say it this way - the best marketing job Dan Snyder's ever done.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

Huh? 

Snyder has marketed the hell out of Sean Taylor’s death. 

What I’m saying is that there's an argument to be made that retiring jerseys should be about just what a player does on the field, not how tragic their death was.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Snyder has marketed the hell out of Sean Taylor’s death. 

What I’m saying is that there's an argument to be made that retiring jerseys should be about just what a player does on the field, not how tragic their death was.

Sean Taylor was a game changer at the S position. Very unique in his skill set. Not sure there is an argument there. Is there any coincidence that just about every safety coming up in the league admires and wanted to be ST, and not any other safety in the league? You dont get that kind of rep without being something on the field. 

22 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Sean Taylor was a game changer at the S position. Very unique in his skill set. Not sure there is an argument there. Is there any coincidence that just about every safety coming up in the league admires and wanted to be ST, and not any other safety in the league? You dont get that kind of rep without being something on the field. 

No doubt but the only number the Redskins ever retried was Sammy Baugh who was one of the inovoators of the game. 

I just don’t know that a number gets retired because he was going to be a hall of famer if he didn’t get killed.

I also agree with Lavar and E that even if we did let someone wear it that it would be a lot of pressure on them. 

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

No doubt but the only number the Redskins ever retried was Sammy Baugh who was one of the inovoators of the game. 

I just don’t know that a number gets retired because he was going to be a hall of famer if he didn’t get killed.

I also agree with Lavar and E that even if we did let someone wear it that it would be a lot of pressure on them. 

Not only more pressure to perform, but that aslo opens the door for others to wearing the number. I just don't think its good business to allow Collins to wear it over anyone else. 

In terms of jersey sales, Taylor is still the best selling jersey of all Redskins players. So why change that. 

32 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Not only more pressure to perform, but that aslo opens the door for others to wearing the number. I just don't think its good business to allow Collins to wear it over anyone else. 

In terms of jersey sales, Taylor is still the best selling jersey of all Redskins players. So why change that. 

Yes, it's Snyder's best marketing job ever.

40 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yes, it's Snyder's best marketing job ever.

Well, Sean was loved by the fans and the fans knew how special of a player he was. I think Dan has carried a bit far, but Sean was the marketing, cause he could play football. He was the iconic name in DC and frankly still is outside of Kerrigan and Trent. 

14 hours ago, turtle28 said:

As I said before, Washington has only retired one number (as turtle points out): Sammy Baugh's.

However, there are certain numbers that are not given out unless the person associated with that number says okay: 21 (Sean Taylor), Darrell Green (28), 44 (John Riggins), 81 (Art Monk)

In ST's case, since he can never say "okay," it is de facto retired. I also said, that if any player wants to honor ST, he should wear 36 (the number Taylor wore in his rookie season), which is what Collins has apparently chosen to do. I would be curious of what he gave (if anything) to Alex Carter, the guy who technically had 36 before Collins was signed.

@turtle28, I will also ignore the rest of your message and the posts in this thread.

10 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah man, weird he sighed that ball 36. I actually was hoping he'd wear. Hell look better in that bc he's always wearing 21 since HS.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-announce-landon-collins-will-not-take-over-sean-taylors-number-after-all

No. 20 will be the third different number Collins has worn since the beginning of his collegiate career, as he was No. 26 at Alabama. 

Archived