Matt Ryan vs Philip Rivers: Prime & All-Time list

ClutchDJ

Ryan had/has a higher prime and I have no idea who will retire favorably compared to the other. I mean, Matt Ryan is relatively young as far as QBs go. 

Since I'm proud of this program I wrote to compute this stuff easily, and I'm super trigger happy with it, here are the corresponding QB's careers standardized into 16-game seasons along with their respective efficiency stats. 

Rivers:

347-538, 4204 yards, 28.8 Touchdowns, 13.7 Interceptions, 95.6 passer rating
64.5 CMP%, 7.81 Y/A, 5.34TD%, 2.54 INT%, 95.6 passer rating

Ryan:

372-570, 4296 yards, 27.1 Touchdowns, 12.2 Interceptions, 94.9 passer rating
65.3 CMP%, 7.53 Y/A, 4.76TD%, 2.14 INT%, 94.9 passer rating

Edited by C0LTSFAN4L1F3

4 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Rivers for Bias reasons, Matt Ryan for playoff success even though he's kind of a choke artist.

No he really isn'tsince he has been in the league he has more 4th quarter comeback wins than any QB in the nfl.  This with having O-line thats usually below avg most of his career, a Defense that is rarely ever in the top 20, and a receiving core that has been in the bottom 5 in drops multiple times in the last decade or so.   I'll give you early in his career he wasn't quite that clutch in the playoffs but over the last half of his career so far and in the playoffs he has been about as clutch as you can get and is one of the highest rated playoff QB's of all time.   Even in the superbowl when his o-line failed him not once but twice he got us back into FG range after the sack and jake matthews decided choke a mofo out that put us out of FG range and in a 3rd and like 25+   The person who choked that game away was Kyle Shannan and for as smart as he is and by god he is a genius on offense on that day in the 2nd half he was one of the worst play callers i have ever seen.  3 to 4 runs over an entire 1 1/2 quarters up 25 is just dumb for anyone to call in a game when your RB is carrying the ball at a 5 ypc clip and almost 100 yards already.

Edited by FalconFan13
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2019 at 10:07 PM, BayRaider said:

If it wasn’t for 2016, it’s Rivers easily... but that season was so dang good and one of the best QB seasons of all time and they had a SB berth that year. I’d put them even. 

Whenyou adjust for teh inflated numbers in that season compared to other historic QB seasons, it really isn't one of the best QB seasons of all time. 

• 2 weeks later...

Both dudes are good. But you remember Ryan in the Super Bowl, then pause and wonder out loud "has Rivers actually won a playoff game in his life?" Even though he just did this past season, but that's sort of the point...no one remembers as he instantly fades after.

Playoffs: 14 TD's, 10 INT's. Ouch. When it's crunchtime, find another QB, Rivers ain't the guy. 

On 4/11/2019 at 6:25 PM, FinSting said:

Playoffs: 14 TD's, 10 INT's. Ouch. When it's crunchtime, find another QB, Rivers ain't the guy.

This. You bring up his playoff ineptitude, despite having some great teams around him and people shrug it off like no big deal. "It was the coaching" or "[this] unit let him down." No other QB gets so many passes. He's entering his 14th year as a starter and has 5 playoff wins. Ryan had the better prime and should finish higher on the all-time list, barring some unexpected downward spiral.

3 hours ago, TENINCH said:

With the same supporting staff I take Rivers 100 out of 100 times. Ryan has had talent around him for years and continues to fail.

Im not sure why you think that as Ryan has continuously put up some of the best numbers in the league every year and is even better in the playoffs when they come around.  If you think a below average O-line and legitly possibly the worst rated defense since he has been in the league is the way to success i don't know what to tell you.  I would trade Ryans skill psitions weapons all day long for a top 10 O-line and top 10 defense every year and watch Ryan win multiple superbowls.  He has proven he can make avg skill players look good already so he doesn't need elite level skill position players to me. 

Over Matt Ryan's career (08-18) ATL D ranks...

-22nd in passer rating allowed
-26th in comp% alolwed
-26th in Y/A allowed
-27th in total yrds allowed
-27th in 1D allowed
-29th in Y/C allowed
-30th in pass yards allowed
-32nd in sacks
-32nd in 3D conv % allowed

The only time Ryans defense was in the top 15 or so was in 2016 and he went to the superbowl gave the defense a 25 point lead with the highest QB rating of all time in a superbowl and they in turn once again crapped the bed giving that lead right back while our OC refused to run the ball to protect the lead 4 fricken times up 25 points in a quarter and a half. 

I want to know if their is really anyone who would rather have a top 5 offensive skill position group  over a top 10 O-line and top 10 defense? 

On 4/20/2019 at 1:56 AM, FalconFan13 said:

I want to know if their is really anyone who would rather have a top 5 offensive skill position group  over a top 10 O-line and top 10 defense? 

You don't even need to consider the O-line, as far as quarterback's overall support, having a top 10 defense is more valuable than top 5 skill position players.