Exposing the NFL's market inefficiency

British

I think getting 3 first round picks for a OG and a CB is dreaming.  Look at Marcus Peters....cheap contract went for a 4th.

These players are also on a crap team that depresses their market value some.

You should list the players drafted, figure in a 50% hit rate for first round picks.  Assume your picks are in the playoff range of picks as you are likely trading these players to contenders.

21 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Look at Marcus Peters....cheap contract went for a 4th.

I think that's mostly because he was in the last year of his cheap rookie deal and the chiefs were negotiating from a position of significant weakness - everyone knew they needed to dump him since he didn't get along with Reid.

ODB just got more than a 1st for a really expensive fully paid contract.  Sammy Watkins got a 2nd round pick in the last year of his rookie deal from the rams.

We can swap Osemele for Okung if you like.  I just preferred signing the guy who at the time was the clear best player at position and would retain that value over time.  Okung was much riskier, but probably would have paid off better.  If you think there's a better position to do this at (contract market rates relative to trade value), that's another interesting conversation.  Nate Solder is probably a pretty good example of how I would do this last year - premium position, high end talent at the position.

Being a good player on a bad team doesn't depress your market.  I don't agree with that.

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

I think getting 3 first round picks for a OG and a CB is dreaming.  Look at Marcus Peters....cheap contract went for a 4th.

These players are also on a crap team that depresses their market value some.

You should list the players drafted, figure in a 50% hit rate for first round picks.  Assume your picks are in the playoff range of picks as you are likely trading these players to contenders.

Peters was cheap for 1 year. He then became a 5th year option player/a guy KC didn’t trust, so getting a 4th for a guy who’d net a third round comp pick guy in2 years made sense 

On 3/23/2019 at 2:27 PM, Packerraymond said:

The Bengals themselves are irrelevant, the point I'm making is it isn't easy to find good QBs. Teams go decades in between them and they're supposed to trade away one when they get it? The moment the Rams traded Goff and end up with a QB like Jamies Winston, Josh Rosen, Marcus Mariota etc... caliber QB with your next high draft pick, you as a GM would be fired and forever known as the guy who traded away a franchise QB and set back the franchise. Doubt there would ever be a GM job for you again in the NFL.

This is a fairytale, Madden-like scenario that seems great on paper but would be nearly impossible to pull off in actual practice.

The key is you have to have a purported genius like McVay (or an actual genius like Belicheck) to pull it off and both identify and coach up the young guy. 

Since Belicheck has been unwilling (or perhaps, unable due to Robert Kraft's loyalty to TB12) to make this move, even with legit NFL QBs Jimmy Handsome and Jacoby Brissett sitting behind Brady, one is tempted to think it's extremely risky.

On 3/25/2019 at 4:00 PM, Spartacus said:

I haven't seen it mentioned here yet but even if this idea had a 100% success rate your forgetting how copy cat the NFL is. It wouldn't take more than 5 years before half the league is trying to do the same thing. This would blow the strategy up completely. 

The NFL is copycat up to a point. If they can (try to) copy a team while not veering too far out of their lane, they're all for it. When something gets a little weird, wellllllll.....

Look at the success that the Run and Shoot had as an offense with shaky teams in the lates 80s/early 90s - the Lions were fairly competitive despite having garbage QBs and Wayne Fontes as HC; the Oilers were damn near elite despite having Jerry Glanville as HC for a chunk of their usage of the offense; Glanville moved on and took perennial sad-sack Atlanta into something resembling relevance....yet NFL teams derided it and said you can't win with those concepts. Of course, a decade later, EVERYONE had glommed onto those concepts, and now you can't find an offense that isn't using at least some principles of the R&S. Same with the spread. 

But it takes one person to show up with the idea, and a few others to also be successful with it, plus a 10-15 yrs of seeing it work before the bulk of the NFL will move on it. 

29 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

The NFL is copycat up to a point. If they can (try to) copy a team while not veering too far out of their lane, they're all for it. When something gets a little weird, wellllllll.....

Look at the success that the Run and Shoot had as an offense with shaky teams in the lates 80s/early 90s - the Lions were fairly competitive despite having garbage QBs and Wayne Fontes as HC; the Oilers were damn near elite despite having Jerry Glanville as HC for a chunk of their usage of the offense; Glanville moved on and took perennial sad-sack Atlanta into something resembling relevance....yet NFL teams derided it and said you can't win with those concepts. Of course, a decade later, EVERYONE had glommed onto those concepts, and now you can't find an offense that isn't using at least some principles of the R&S. Same with the spread. 

But it takes one person to show up with the idea, and a few others to also be successful with it, plus a 10-15 yrs of seeing it work before the bulk of the NFL will move on it. 

You're using examples from 30 years ago. 

It took 2 seasons before everybody was running McCarthy/McAdoo/Philbin's 3x1 with an isolated split TE. 

It took about the same time before everybody was copying Harbaugh's motion H-Back/TE lead run plays.

Probably took 4 years between success and everybody running at least some of Zimmer's cover-6. 

Carroll started running the Cover-3/1 only defenses and all of a sudden anybody that was 6'0 or taller and ran faster than a 4.45 was getting deep looks at first round CB.

I'm not even sure it's less of a copy cat league and more that coaches get hired and fired so much faster that ideas spread quicker. 

Archived