Post FA Mock Draft

Trentwannabe

Now that the first and mostly the second wave of Free Agency has come and gone I have decided to do another mock draft. As usual this is mostly based on what names have been linked to the Bills and what players have had credited scouts at their games. 

Round 1:
Pick 9. Bills select DT Ed Oliver Houston.
During the season we all wanted to tank for Bosa or Oliver ( and for good reason). The fact that the Bills finished 6-10, got some meaningful snaps for young players like Allen, Foster and Wallace and have a very real shot at Oliver makes me so happy. Even if Kyle Williams didn't retire, a 3 Tech was going to be a need. Jordan Phillips is only on a one year deal and Harrison Phillips is more of a 1 gaping Run stuffer and not a true disruptive force like Oliver. Mr. Oliver is not only a fit for the defense and great value at 9, he is also going to love Buffalo and what they offer him and his horses. 

Round 2:
*Trade!* Bills send pick 40, 113 and pick 182  to Arizona for pick 33.
Bills select TE Irv Smith Jr. Alabama
The Bills may seem a tad crazy trading up just 7 spots and having it cost them a 4th and a 6th but the Bills right now need quality over quantity IMO. If the Bills don't come away with one of the top 3 TE's I will be very disappointed. Smith Jr. is a glorified WR as he is just a modest blocker right now. But knowing some Daboll terminology and how to create separation from defenders will be a nice added weapon for Allen. 

Round 3:
Pick 75. Bills select OG Dru Samia Oklahoma
Though the Bills have currently added 5 (!) new offensive linemen in free agency, I feel the Guard position is still a major question mark. Long and Teller could be solid option while Felicino adds nice depth. But none of the above scream mauler or true game changer. Samia has been closely watched and talked to by Bills brass every step of the way. He may not actually fall this far and if they don't trade up in round 2, but rather trade back, I could see Samia be the selection then. He is a plug and play RG at this level.

Round 4:
Pick 132. Bills select Edge Maxx Crosby Eastern Michigan. 
Maybe not the sexiest name or pick and maybe considered a reach by some, but Crosby is a guy the Bills appear to be very interested in. He may need a bit of a red shirt year to get into the weight room and fill out his body more. But he is a disruptive force in the backfield (41 TFL and 20 sacks in 37 career games.) With Murphy, Lawson and Yarborough all set to be free agents in 2020 the Bills will need to address this position. The Bills are bringing him in as part of the pre draft 30 visits.

Round 5:
Pick 148. Bills select LB Tyrell Dodson Texas A&M
Depth at this position is really a must. Zo won't be around after this season most likely and though Dodson may never be more than a solid depth player, at least getting someone in there will help for next seasons evaluation. He is a fairly explosive player but doesn't always feel the run well and can be late to diagnose plays. Has a good feel for a zone scheme however.

Pick 159. Bills select WR Hunter Renfrow Clemson
He may not be as quick as Beasley but there are a lot of similarities outside of their pigmentation. His character and work ethic are completely inline with the way McDermott wants to run this team. At this point of the draft, taking a player who was productive in college is never a bad idea.

Round 7:
Pick 227. Bills select RB  Bryce Love Stanford.
Met with the Bills at the combine and will be looking for a redshirt season which is something the Bills can offer. Once said he would love to play and learn from LeSean McCoy. His Senior season may have been a disappointment in comparison to his Junior year, but this kid is a talented back and grabbing him in round 7 would be an absolute steal. 

Pick 230. Bills select C Jesse Burkett Stanford
Why not double up on two of the smartest players in the draft. A flier on a proven C in round 7 is never a bad thing. Morse concussion issues are hopefully a thing of the past but regardless, depth and competition for camp is needed. 

Depth Chart: *Note if a player isn't there assume they were cut*

QB: Allen, Barkley, Anderson
RB: McCoy, Gore, Ford, Love
FB: Dimarco
TE: Kroft, Smith Jr., Fisher
WR: Brown, Foster, Beasley, Jones, Williams, Renfrow, Roberts
LT: Dawkins
LG: Long, Teller
C: Morse
RG: Samia, Feliciano
RT: Nsekhe, Waddle

DE: Hughes, Yarbough
3T: Oliver, J. Phillips
1T: Lotulelei, H. Phillips
DE: Lawson, Murphy, Crosby
WLB: Milano, Alexander
MLB: Edmunds, Stanford
SLB: Alexander, Dodson
CB: White, Wallace, Johnson, Johnson, Rice
FS: Poyer, Bush
SS: Hyde, Marlowe

K: Hauschka
P: Bojo
LS: Reid

Key PS Names:
Ray Ray McLoud
Ike Boetteger
Jesse Burkett
Siran Neal

I like it. The only things I'd change is I'd start Felciano at RG. Much safer than a 3rd round rookie starter. And instead of Renfrow I'd go with a guy with more speed like Isabella and Bills seem interested in him at the combine. 

I like the draft my only concern is that Oliver being there at 9 the more and more it seems like he wont last. Also I would hate to move up to get Irv Smith I am just not sure bills will want to push that hard for a TE. If they are there at the original pick then yes but overall for Irv I dont see the point of moving up hes not a game changer. I can see Fant or Hochenson maybe but not Smith. Hunter Renfrow is questionable as they need some height on the offense and he is essentially what you described as him being close to beasley in attributes and stature.

I do like the Oliver pick if he is there and big fan of Samia. The rest of the picks outside of Irv are solid. If the bills stay pat at 40 and Irv is there I am good with that or good with them going with a WR who will likely have size and is available. 

21 hours ago, marshawn lynch said:

I like it. The only things I'd change is I'd start Felciano at RG. Much safer than a 3rd round rookie starter. And instead of Renfrow I'd go with a guy with more speed like Isabella and Bills seem interested in him at the combine. 

Isabella would be a really good option too. 

I think Samia is a day one starter and most years is a 2nd round pick but this draft is too deep on defense that some guys are going to be pushed down.

1 hour ago, soflbillsfan said:

I like the draft my only concern is that Oliver being there at 9 the more and more it seems like he wont last. Also I would hate to move up to get Irv Smith I am just not sure bills will want to push that hard for a TE. If they are there at the original pick then yes but overall for Irv I dont see the point of moving up hes not a game changer. I can see Fant or Hochenson maybe but not Smith. Hunter Renfrow is questionable as they need some height on the offense and he is essentially what you described as him being close to beasley in attributes and stature.

I do like the Oliver pick if he is there and big fan of Samia. The rest of the picks outside of Irv are solid. If the bills stay pat at 40 and Irv is there I am good with that or good with them going with a WR who will likely have size and is available. 

Its hard to say how the Bills are viewing the TE position. IMO Irv Smith is a game changer in the sense that he moves the chains. He would be too fast for LB and to big for S to cover when he is split out wide. I just think he would add such a nice wrinkle for the O. But they may be satisfied with Kroft.

I view Renfrow as the future slot. Or least a key ST contributor. I don't really agree that the Bills need size. I think it is incredibly overrated. Getting open and route running are far more important (part of the reason I am cooling on a guy like Metcalf).

If we were to move up to grab Irv Smith, I'd say go two picks higher and try and grab him at 31. Get that 5th year option in there for him down the road. Doubt NE trades with us and vice versa for 32 but we have always had good connections with the Rams.

Archived