First Mock ever. Only mock

JaireAlex

i would never defend simmons's actions, but if were a GM i might be willing to put him in my organization if he has good/credible character references since the incident and i had a chance to talk to him 1 on 1 about it.  big part of this for me is that he was 18.  most of us did things in extremely poor judgement at 18 that we wish we could take back.  his got caught on tape.  not trying to minimize what he did at all, but i do believe the adult simmons could be a different person than the 18 year old simmons.  from a maturity perspective (not a legal one), 18 is still a kid in my eyes.  i think most people have a different maturity level at 24 than at 18, and different still at 27 (i sure did).  especially when you have something to lose like a nice job.  if i could somehow conduct sufficient due diligence on his character since the incident, and it came back good, i would probably be willing to take him.

Some GM will take a chance on him.  After seeing that video, I hope it isn't GB.  He hit a woman who was on the ground.  Think about that for a minute.  He.  Hit (repeatedly). A.  Woman.  Who. Was.  On. The. Ground.  Sorry, but some actions aren't excusable in my book.

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you don't consider Ferrell or Burns 1st round caliber prospects, you can't have more than 15 first round caliber guys on your board. First round caliber doesn't equate to perfect. 

Simmons should be number 1 on no one's board so long as Bosa or Williams are still breathing. Even before you take into account his injury and hitting a woman.

Where the **** are you getting plus character from? Because his highschool coach said so? Get real.

http://www.clipsyndicate.com/video/play/6288848/jeffery_simmons_fight

Such self defense. Sure. Even ignoring the part about him hitting her, watching him strut around as his sister continues to harass the woman on the ground is a little stomach turning.

But let's overlook that because Ed Oliver wanted to wear a jacket on the sideline when injured. 

Get the **** out of here.

Pettine trys to generate pressure from the interior, that does not mean that he values interior guys extensively more. They're both premium spots. 

I feel terrible for all the little kids in that video watching the adults act worse than school children.

4 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. Pretty sure he was 18 when it happened and an adult.

2. Who has strongly supported his character? All people with a vested financial interest in him succeeding.

3. There's no reason for him and his sister to be punching a woman who is lying on the ground. **** that. As for the court records, definitely going to trust the guy's entire family was there to lie for him. And the word of police when it comes to high profile college players are basically inconsequential when it comes to football players when there's actual video. 

4. Roethlisberger definitely should have been charged. Just like Simmons should have been charged. And if there was video of Roethlisberger, I'd have the same stance. There's plenty of gray area with Roethlisberger, there's very little with Simmons. If you're looking for someone to support Roethlisberger, it isn't me. 

5. Ask yourself the question, if he had been hitting an attractive white woman, instead of an obese black woman, how does this situation change in your mind?

6. **** off with your morally Superior stance. You're the one talking about how a guy and his sister hitting a woman on the ground is an elite character prospect. If you wanted to say that it's an issue you're willing to move past, fine. But Williams or Oliver have never been in trouble for putting their hands on women.

1. He was convicted. It's finished. He didn't "get off."

2. Four others were charged. That alone should should give you pause. No one has denied his story. 

3. Many many more have backed his character. Everyone in fact.

4. I listened to him and read his side. Nothing gives me reason to believe he is lying.  So he paid his dues. I have absolutely no reason not to believe him. Nor do you. Please, provide any contradictory evidence of testimony. He said he blacked out and didn't know what he did. Given the circumstances, that is totally believable. It was a one time  incident. 

Why do you think he is lying?

(And color is totally impertinent to me. I don't say he was right but only that I have no reason to disbelieve what he said happened.)

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Some GM will take a chance on him.  After seeing that video, I hope it isn't GB.  He hit a woman who was on the ground.  Think about that for a minute.  He.  Hit (repeatedly). A.  Woman.  Who. Was.  On. The. Ground.  Sorry, but some actions aren't excusable in my book.

Did you read what he said happened?

I cannot disbelieve his story. .....He said he blacked out. As far as I'm concerned the moms behaved much worse. I have no reason not to believe Simmons take. And that doesn't sound like he started it. He blacked out.....that means he DID NOT  know what he was doing. Never happened before or after. Need to look past the video.

3 hours ago, JaireAlex said:

I cannot disbelieve his story. .....He said he blacked out. As far as I'm concerned the moms behaved much worse. I have no reason not to believe Simmons take. And that doesn't sound like he started it. He blacked out.....that means he DID NOT  know what he was doing. Never happened before or after. Need to look past the video.

Let's ask the next question then, do you want a guy who is "Blacking Out" in high stress situations?

When the **** did "Blacking Out" (My apologies) become an excuse?

1 hour ago, JaireAlex said:

I don't care if he "blacked out".  It is a control thing.  He.  Hit (repeatedly).  A.  Woman.  While.  She.  Was.  On.  The. Ground.

I'm not looking past that, I doubt our front office is either. 

And really, it doesn't sound like he "started it"?  "It" was an altercation that involved a woman.  Inexcusable in my book.  

You are entitled to your opinion, and I do value your voice on here, but it's a "no go" for me.    

41 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Let's ask the next question then, do you want a guy who is "Blacking Out" in high stress situations?

When the **** did "Blacking Out" (I'll once again leave the irony of that turn of phrase to others) become an excuse?

Only time it ever happened to him

I won't hold an out of character incident for which he paid. It's a misdemeanor. It was in defense of his family. The other adults imo were far more to blame like that woman (and his mom perhaps).

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't care if he "blacked out".  It is a control thing.  He.  Hit (repeatedly).  A.  Woman.  While.  She.  Was.  On.  The. Ground.

I'm not looking past that, I doubt our front office is either. 

And really, it doesn't sound like he "started it"?  "It" was an altercation that involved a woman.  Inexcusable in my book.  

You are entitled to your opinion, and I do value your voice on here, but it's a "no go" for me.    

Again. It involved several women including  his mom and sister. I've had to break up fights between women before, not my family members and one was really strong. I certainly could have been charged with assault but I had to use force because innocents were getting hurt. I didn't get angry or black out of use excessive force.

But you are not seeing anything but the end here.

Context is everything. He seems like a really good kid that loves his family. That's my take. And listening to him, he seems super high character actually, as everyone else says of him. That's especially why I am defending him. Plenty of low character guys in the NFL like Hernandez -- very different and they well knew about him too. Looking at the video that looked like a really messed up situation all around. From reports, the two families are at war. I can't put the onus on him unless someone contradicts what he said happened as well as everyone else. Why I don't judge on videos without context.

Moreover, HS. I don't think he has a dad, just his mom and sister.

Character is NOT what happens once in your life in a moment of stress when you are just a kid. The courts do take anger as mitigating.  His trying to break it up also is mitigating. You don't see video of what happened earlier. I take it all into context. That a GM is defending Simmons actually says lot about his character. Plenty of NFL bad characters that should be let loose.

It's just about image  and PR to them. Pure hypocracy.

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm glad that at least you didn't say 'a lady'.  The video only starts at the point he was striking her, I would bet there was an interesting scenario that led up to that point.  Not defending him in the least, but at least he owned up to it and form what I've read, has followed and completed everything asked of him since.  It's a different world than most of us grew up in.

In memory of MM though.....he maintained nice pad level.....too soon?  It was three years ago.

Again. It involved several women including  his mom and sister. I've had to break up fights between women before, not my family members and one was really strong. I certainly could have been charged with assault but I had to use force because innocents were getting hurt. I didn't get angry or black out of use excessive force.

But you are not seeing anything but the end here.

Context is everything. He seems like a really good kid that loves his family. That's my take. And listening to him, he seems super high character actually, as everyone else says of him. That's especially why I am defending him. Plenty of low character guys in the NFL like Hernandez -- very different and they well knew about him too. Looking at the video that looked like a really messed up situation all around. From reports, the two families are at war. I can't put the onus on him unless someone contradicts what he said happened as well as everyone else. Why I don't judge on videos without context.

Moreover, HS. I don't think he has a dad, just his mom and sister.

Character is NOT what happens once in your life in a moment of stress when you are just a kid. The courts do take anger as mitigating.  His trying to break it up also is mitigating. You don't see video of what happened earlier. I take it all into context. That a GM is defending Simmons actually says lot about his character. Plenty of NFL bad characters that should be let loose.

It's just about image  and PR to them. Pure hypocracy.

You make a lot of excuses for him.  I could tell you what I think excuses are like.....

"His trying to break it up" is a very funny statement.  I saw him punching a woman on the ground, not breaking anything up.

As I said earlier, some GM's will overlook this.  As a few have done in other cases.  Doesn't mean I have to agree with it, or say I'm good having that sort of character on the team that I enjoy watching.

Archived