Gronk Retires

goldfishwars

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Obviously there are certain players in the HOF who don't deserve to be a HOFer either. These outliers prove nothing as you can use them to make an argument that anyone who is at least somewhat decent is a HOF quality player.

Fact is there's a ton of more players outside of the HOF with only a few seasons of elite production than players inside it.

But you're the one using his longevity as the basis (and some basis as far as I can tell) for keeping him out. As though it were an arbitrary cut off point, when it's clearly not. The hof committee has shown that it will still enshrine dominant players with shorter careers

Just now, Forge said:

Gronk has 7 seasons, not 4. He just only played 4 full seasons. This is an important distinction 

But Mike ditka. Kenny Easley. 

Ditka had only four elite receiving seasons but was still a respected blocker for many more  years to come.

Easley was a great player from when he started until when he retired.

These are both borderline cases. As is Gronk's.

The only time I've felt genuinely sad when a Pat retired. Part of me was hoping to see him comeback to his old-self this year. Oh well.

He's been passionate about giving his all since the draft, when he got excited and danced in a Pats helmet instead of just holding up the jersey. He has been beaten half to death helping the Patriots win football games. He broke his arm twice, he tore his ACL, knackered his ankle, had at least one concussion, and has had back issues since college - and despite all that, right until the end, he laid his body on the line for that 3rd down catch, that one extra yard....and most of the time he got it.

When he was healthy he was simply an unstoppable force on the field. Only injuries ever held him back.

He's probably my favourite football player ever. Will miss him.

Will look forward to his Canton speech. Should be pretty epic, if not exactly poetry.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

But you're the one using his longevity as the basis (and some basis as far as I can tell) for keeping him out. As though it were an arbitrary cut off point, when it's clearly not. The hof committee has shown that it will still enshrine dominant players with shorter careers

Then, again, why is Sterling Sharpe not in the HOF?

14 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Why is Sterling Sharpe not in the HOF, then? What non-RB is in the HOF with only four seasons of production?

He'll get compared to other tight ends and as of now, he's played in the league 9 seasons, been all pro first team four times and had 5 seasons of 10 TDs or more. He was the best blocking and receiving tight end of his generation and the most unplayable player in the league for a long stretch. This is such a bizarre argument.

5 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Then again, why is Sterling Sharpe not in the HOF?

They've always been hard on receivers and there is a back log. Maybe the voters don't vote his career as kindly as you do. Positions are not treated equally

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Sterling Sharpe was definitely considered by some to be the best ever WR when he played, or at least way up there.

Sharpe was indeed great but did not transcend his position by his greatness the way Gronkowski did. Plus the Gronk, as I said, made a huge impact on the league which gets taken into consideration too even if he can only be enshrined as a tight end. Gronk is one of those figures who represents the NFL and is an ambassador to tbe sport for an entire generation of little kids who will someday try to play in the NFL themselves. That's a huge impact globally that I think helps his case.

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

He'll get compared to other tight ends and as of now, he's the only one in league history with a 1,000 yard season and he's done it four times. He's played in the league 9 seasons, been all pro first team four times and had 5 seasons of 10 TDs or more. He was the best blocking and receiving tight end of his generation and the most unplayable player in the league for a long stretch. This is such a bizarre argument.

What? No he isn't LOL. Gonazalez and Witten both have four 1000 yard seasons, Kellen Winslow, Shannon Sharpe, and Todd Christenson have 3. Ozzie NEwsom, Antonio Gates, Jimmy Graham, and Greg Olsen have two. It's been done 40 times in total. Unless I'm misundersatnding you, you are flat out 100% wrong.

6 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Ditka had only four elite receiving seasons but was still a respected blocker for many more  years to come.

Gronk has long been considered one of the best blocking tight ends in the NFL. That argument doesn't fly.

Ditka and Easley may have been borderline, but neither was remotely as dominant as Gronk, either

19 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Both probably shouldn't even be in. Well, probably Terrell but definitely not Gale. Even still, they're RBs so a shorter career is expected. TEs typically have a long career.

Sayers shouldn't be in the HOF? Pass the crack please. 

Archived