Preseason Wk 4: 49ers v Chargers - Backup Bowl

Forge

5charger.jpg&f=1

It was a disappointing loss last week, but the first team offense really came out firing which I really liked. Now it's time for those roster bubble guys to really do something and make it hard to cut them. Bolden and Bourne at the receiver spot. Magnuson on the line. Does Pita flash enough to force our hand into keeping him? Can we please just have one game where we aren't completely  a disaster on special teams? Just to go out on a high note? 

Might be big game for the o-line battles and especially for RB.  I know Shanny must love Hightower's experience in his system, but if it were me making the call I'd keep both Breida and Williams and probably add Mostert as a 4th RB who can return kickofffs and maybe be groomed over the course of the season to be a gunner on the punt team. I see no reason to keep a 7 year veteran RB who's not very good and has no upside.

Could happen.  Might depend on how well they think they know what Barkley has to offer.  If they want to find out if Beathard is good enough to let Barkley go and only keep 2 QBs on the roster then they should play Beathard as much as possible.  I think that's what I'd do since I'm really hoping Beathard is that good, and because I think Barkely offers little other than a warm body to  play QB. Also only keeping two QBs let's us keep one more position player with some potential - Pita, Hikutini, Magnuson, D. Williams are all guys that could be the guy we keep if we can get by with only 2 QBs.  I have to keep reminding myself though that Beathard wassn't rated highly for a reason.  Doesn't mean everyone was right and our FO was wrong.  Just need to keep my epxectations in check.

20 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'd like I CJ Beathard play this whole game, start to finish and see what he looks like in a full game. 

Im also curious to see which of our many depth WRs steps up and looks deserving of a roster spot or practice squad.

I actually was thinking the other way - that Barkley would get most of the time to see if he's worth holding on to lol. 

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

I actually was thinking the other way - that Barkley would get most of the time to see if he's worth holding on to lol. 

I honestly think the only way Barkley proves he's worth holding onto is whether or not Beathard seems capable enough as the back up haha. Basically Barkley has no say either or not he makes the team, all dependent on Beathards play.

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

I honestly think the only way Barkley proves he's worth holding onto is whether or not Beathard seems capable enough as the back up haha. Basically Barkley has no say either or not he makes the team, all dependent on Beathards play.

I actually prefer that method. I don't see why you wouldn't cut him anyway. Are we really terrified that someone is going to scoop Barkley up if we cut him? I somehow don't think it likely. And even if they do, who cares. It's not like he's had 4 years in Shanny's system or anything. You can find comparable talent off the street. They won't be as well versed in the system, but I don't thikn it's likely that Barkley has it all down either. I just don't see much of a reason for keeping him at this point to be honest. Just roll with Beathard, if Hoyer gets hurt, so be it. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I actually prefer that method. I don't see why you wouldn't cut him anyway. Are we really terrified that someone is going to scoop Barkley up if we cut him? I somehow don't think it likely. And even if they do, who cares. It's not like he's had 4 years in Shanny's system or anything. You can find comparable talent off the street. They won't be as well versed in the system, but I don't thikn it's likely that Barkley has it all down either. I just don't see much of a reason for keeping him at this point to be honest. Just roll with Beathard, if Hoyer gets hurt, so be it. 

Agreed.  If we keep just two and one gets hurt there will be plenty of guys likely as good as Barkley, maybe even including Barkley, that we could try to sign.

Archived