Pace Named 'Executive of the Year' by Sporting News.

soulman

Bears general manager Ryan Pace named 'Executive of the Year' by Sporting News

usatsi_9034492.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

Almost three months after the Chicago Bears’ breakout 2018 season, the accolades continue to roll in.

Matt Nagy was already named Coach of the Year, and now the man who hired him is bringing home an honor of his own.

D2c3BhVUYAAJvV9.jpg

Sporting News named Bears general manager Ryan Pace the Executive of the Year.

The award was voted on by executives around the league who agreed Pace had the best year.

It started with hiring Nagy, followed by a strong free agent group and a draft class that contributed from day one.

Then he put the cherry on top with the Khalil Mack trade in September, setting the Bears up with their best season since 2006.

The success the team had on the field was a direct reflection of what Pace accomplished in the offseason prior, culminating in an Executive of the Year caliber season.

I think the best debate overall is: Would you rather have Pace or Ballard?

IIRC, we interviewed Ballard before we hired Pace. Ballard has done a pretty incredible job in Indy IMO, and would have had insight into a hire such as Nagy or even Dave Toub. Ballard has done a great job in drafting the last 2 years, seemed to have picked a good coach in Reich, and has the cap managed pretty well for the future, even with Luck's big cap number.

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I think the best debate overall is: Would you rather have Pace or Ballard?

IIRC, we interviewed Ballard before we hired Pace. Ballard has done a pretty incredible job in Indy IMO, and would have had insight into a hire such as Nagy or even Dave Toub. Ballard has done a great job in drafting the last 2 years, seemed to have picked a good coach in Reich, and has the cap managed pretty well for the future, even with Luck's big cap number.

I think Ballard's done a good job but I wouldn't say "incredible." Darius Leonard was a good pick, yes, but Luck coming back had nothing to do with Ballard and he's the main cog there.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

I think Ballard's done a good job but I wouldn't say "incredible." Darius Leonard was a good pick, yes, but Luck coming back had nothing to do with Ballard and he's the main cog there.

You have a top franchise QB and still keep getting high draft picks at very top of draft is a lucky combination.  

10 minutes ago, soulman said:

After struggling through the Fox era and a project of undoing the damage Phil Emery had done it's nice to see Pace get this kind of recognition.

By anyone's standards he had one helluva year in 2019.

In fairness to Fox he didn't get a lot of help.

While we are all giddy with the foundation Pace has built with the roster now comes the hard part. He now has to manage the roster with less CAP space, draft capital, and turnover. I am happy as hell but we will have some heavy lifting to do in the coming years. 

33 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

In fairness to Fox he didn't get a lot of help.

He got a lot of help here in Denver.  Elway gifted him a SB winner and still he failed to get the job done.

If you want fairness for Fox you're addressing the wrong guy.  He's an arrogant old fool and nothing will persuade me otherwise.

8 hours ago, soulman said:

He got a lot of help here in Denver.  Elway gifted him a SB winner and still he failed to get the job done.

If you want fairness for Fox you're addressing the wrong guy.  He's an arrogant old fool and nothing will persuade me otherwise.

Agree. He was a donkey here in Denver. 

Archived