Cravens, Doctson & Long updates

turtle28

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Define, "can't stay healthy?" Is, can't stay healthy = Jordan Reed type seasons in your opinion? Because, if that's what it us then he's still going to be a very productive and good to great player for us. I personally think last year was a fluke and this years hamstring was just a routine hamstring strain, just like what Crowder had. If had been the regular season and not the preseason, Doctson would have played in week 3. 

If Doctson ends up being the equivalent to Reed with injuries for his career then he's going to develop into a guy who plays 13 to 16 games a year, catches 70 plus passes a year for 1000 plus yards a year and 5 plus Tds a year. We should all be able to live with that, especially because at the time being he's the #4 option after Reed, Crowder and Pryor.

From his posts referencing Kelly, I'm assuming he's saying "Malcolm Kelly" and not "Jordan Reed" levels of "can't stay healthy".

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Doctson may not play this week due to tightness in his hamstring. At this point he's just taking up an unnecessary roster spot. Just IR him and cut him next year. Admit the mistake and move on. This is just crazy now. 

My first thought was this. Apparently during Czabe's show they said it was a "precautionary measure".

However, Jay is on record saying that Doctson needs to put together strings of practices and show in practice more so he can play more in games.

With them keeping him out as "precautionary measures" he's not gonna get the chance to put together strings of practices.

Might as well pencil Ryan Grant in as the starter for the rest of the year

8 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

My first thought was this. Apparently during Czabe's show they said it was a "precautionary measure".

However, Jay is on record saying that Doctson needs to put together strings of practices and show in practice more so he can play more in games.

With them keeping him out as "precautionary measures" he's not gonna get the chance to put together strings of practices.

Might as well pencil Ryan Grant in as the starter for the rest of the year

The sad thing is Doctson has game-changing talent but if Gruden has ZERO intentions of putting him on the field, why even have him? I understand Grant puts in the effort, he runs great routes and he's a tremendous teammate but he's not good. Not putting Doctson on the field because Gruden loves Grant is absurd. 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Doctson may not play this week due to tightness in his hamstring. At this point he's just taking up an unnecessary roster spot. Just IR him and cut him next year. Admit the mistake and move on. This is just crazy now. 

Cutting Doctson doesn't make much sense, now trading him for a running back who is started quality but stuck behind an established starter, that makes sense. Trade Doctson to the Titans for Anthony Henry! Done & Done!

while I can understand the frustration wit his continuing injuries (and its incredibly frustrating) we cant do anything now. They let DJAX and Garcon go and we're now forced to count on Doctson and Pryor and an increased role for Crowder. Pryor, Crowder and reed had poor games stemming from Pryor being new at receiver, Crowder and Reed injuries and the timing with Cousins was poor.

You may recall my thinking on Doctson this offseason where I said counting on him was incredibly risky with his contact injuries that nobody seemed to ever definitely say what they were.  We have built an offense based on him and its hard to completely change offenses in a season- If you recall Gibbs did this. He was like 0-4 using the San Diego Chargers Blast Passing attack his first few games and smart and bold enough to realize he needed to change his system to accommodate his players strength- that's when he started running Riggo with his  excellent run blocking offensive line a lot more and setting up easier play action passes. The next few years they added more players to help them with their new identity and then when Riggo was winding down they went with a lot more passing having built their team in that fashion. 

We have a fundamental structural l problem that stems from poor leadership- Who are the Redskins? A Team needs to have an  Identity created from leadership that then gets the right players to execute on the identity. On offense are we a passing team, are we a running team, whats our identity? If we are a passing team, than Chris Thompson should be starting and playing the most plays because he is our best pass receiving threat and can mix in a few runs. Spell him with Prine and that Texas A&M kid because Kelly is no threat in passing game.

We don't have the personnel to be a great running team. They  haven't built it that way. We have at best 2 offensive lineman who excel and run blocking, no tight ends that can block and our wide receivers are poor blockers.Of course we dont have a dominant running back either, but I share the view that thats not as important as they are easier to get. Our major problem with running is not Kelly, its the blockers and the scheme and of course we dont spend anytime on it anyway. Our line is above average pass blocking especially  if we change our our left guard and get our center healthy.We are built for passing at this point so we should play it out using an offense like the Saints and Packers instead of the schitzo offense we have now. 

Here are the plays I would focus on to maximize our current strengths on offense:

* Screen or flair passes to Thompson- he should get at least 8 a game 

* draw plays to Thompson and Prine - 10 a game

* Choice routes to Reed- at least 10 targets a game 

* Crowder crossing routes over the middle- at least 5 a game

* Deep outs to pryor- the dude is afraid to get hit over the middle and has suspect hands. You could run him deep, but no way he will get double coverage like DJax did and that clogs up the middle of the field with another defender

Plays to reduce or discontinue

Straight power inside runs or dive plays

Deep routes- go to more of a short quick hitting passing attack where Cousins drops back and the ball is released in 2.6 seconds

its not going to be pretty this year on offense. the defense is better but the offense is much worse than a year ago. 

@Doc Draper I love it Doc! Great post man.

I guess the only thing I'd disagree with out of all your ideas is that:

1. We built the offense on Doctson, I guess you mean we let two 1,000 WRs go because we counted on him? And not that we actually thought he was going to be our number one? Right?

I guess that I agree with, we were counting on him but we didn't build the O around him. The O is built 1st through Jordan Reed, then either Crowder or Pryor and last I think would be Grant or Doctson. That's the way I've always felt at least or the way it should be.

2. We don't have a Pierre Garçon type blocker at wr - that's true - but Crowder and Grant are good blockers and Pryor has such great size that that in itself is better than Djax as a blocker, at least Pryor tries, let's put it that way.

Now Davis and Reed, ugh! Many of us said this since last year that relying on these two as blockers in the run game was a mistake. They needed to sign or draft a TE who was the size of a slightly smaller OL, like a 270 to 280 pound guy, like a Paulsen type. I like Sprinkle's potential as a future TE who could block better than the guys we have and be a decent receiver but he wasn't really the kind of TE I was looking for them to add in the draft or sign as a FA or UDFA.

To me, not having a Paulsen equivalent on this roster has hurt the run game the last two years. A TE who can be a receiver but isn't exactly great as a receiving option but can still get you 15-20 receptions as a 3rd TE.  Remmeber in 2015 when we signed Alex Smith our run game got a little better? But then we didn't retain him or get another like him, not even on a vet min contract.

We need a guy like that, maybe Sprinkle develops into that, but I think he is far away from being that guy that the coaches can trust.

Everyone wants to kill Doctson, but Gruden's being hypocritical here. They keep keeping him out for precautionary reasons but then kill him for not practicing? When he is active and willing to play, they don't throw him the ball or give him any plays, and then they kill him for not giving them anything?

They're just being petty as **** because he's a Scot guy.

Archived