Owners to vote on 4th and 15 on-side kick alternative [Vote Failed To Pass]

wackywabbit

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024006/article/john-mara-only-no-vote-for-onside-kick-alternative

Seems this has already passed a vote of the competition committee with only one vote against it. The new rule would allow a team to attempt to convert a 4th and 15 from their own 35 instead of kicking off. It can only be done once a game and only in the 4th quarter, which IMHO seems pretty arbitrary. 

I think this is pretty huge. The on-side kick is pretty much dead with the new rules and this could add a good bit of intrigue and strategy. I would expect to see it happen fairly often and it will be interesting to see the type of plays teams use to try to convert or defend it. Likely to see a lot of 5 DBs at the sticks and it'll tough to convert, but the late game desperation may lead some teams to try to just bomb it over the top. Could be really stupid if we get something like a 5 yard illegal contact "converting" for the offense though.

I like this, but as others have stated, seems too likely that there will be a controversial penalty call to give the free first down. 

Either that, or a bad non call. 

Screw the 15 yards, if I was calling plays I'm calling a hail Mary everytime. Force defenders to start playing deeper and that will open up everything else. Does the clock run at the snap? imagine scoring a touchdown with one second left down 16 and going for two then scoring a touchdown on this play and then going for two again and scoring 16 points in like 5 seconds lol 

I wish they would just let you have a running start and bring back the regular onside kick. You could just allow the kicking team to have a normal running start once a game in the fourth quarter. 

The old version was random enough that it wouldn't greatly alter the outcome of the game but also give you a punchers chance. 

25 minutes ago, N4L said:

I wish they would just let you have a running start and bring back the regular onside kick. You could just allow the kicking team to have a normal running start once a game in the fourth quarter. 

The old version was random enough that it wouldn't greatly alter the outcome of the game but also give you a punchers chance

This. Not sure why this had to be changed  in the first place.

Even if this rule is excepted, they should still allow onside kicks if a team decides to utilize it out of the blue. No reason whatsoever to do away with the possibility of it occurring. 

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

This. Not sure why this had to be changed  in the first place.

Even if this rule is excepted, they should still allow onside kicks if a team decides to utilize it out of the blue. No reason whatsoever to do away with the possibility of it occurring. 

They wouldn't prevent a team from kicking an onside kick before the fourth quarter, but without a running start it's basically impossible. 

They did have to do something 

(This is going to really screw over some gamblers, you watch)

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

I like it but not the once per game. I think inside 5min in the 4th/OT it should be repeatable. 

What if it's repeatable, but you increase the distance for conversion on the 2nd attempt? Like 4th and 20. 

BTW, 4th and 15 in 2019 isn't that tall of an order it would seem. You can get a PI to go our way fairly easily. I guess it would depend if the officials in that situation are trigger happy or not, I'd guess no. Still, I think it should be 4th and 20 from your own 20 yard line. 

Another idiotic change, but the game is so ruined at this point that it's not even worth getting upset over.

But why on earth would you want to make it even easier for teams to come back from large deficits? Yeah, let's make the NFL the equivalent to a Warriors game. 

"25 point deficit? Oh, look, Curry and Thompson just hit 8 consecutive 3s, 24-0 run in 3 minutes). 

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I like it better than the onside, those were basically a once a season it works level thing regardless so why not. Make it a real football play instead of "lets just pray we get a 1/10000 bounce".

It's not supposed to work very often. If you need an onside kick, you deserve to lose. 

I don’t like it. Feel like they should be lax on penalties for it, like passing on a fake punt. Also it’s a long shot you need to earn to put yourself in a game you took yourself out of, so 4th and 20 or so makes sense. Make it harder to attain if it does happen. 

Archived