Owners to vote on 4th and 15 on-side kick alternative [Vote Failed To Pass]

wackywabbit

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001024006/article/john-mara-only-no-vote-for-onside-kick-alternative

Seems this has already passed a vote of the competition committee with only one vote against it. The new rule would allow a team to attempt to convert a 4th and 15 from their own 35 instead of kicking off. It can only be done once a game and only in the 4th quarter, which IMHO seems pretty arbitrary. 

I think this is pretty huge. The on-side kick is pretty much dead with the new rules and this could add a good bit of intrigue and strategy. I would expect to see it happen fairly often and it will be interesting to see the type of plays teams use to try to convert or defend it. Likely to see a lot of 5 DBs at the sticks and it'll tough to convert, but the late game desperation may lead some teams to try to just bomb it over the top. Could be really stupid if we get something like a 5 yard illegal contact "converting" for the offense though.

Well shoot. I was all ready to support a kickoffless, all offense, Chiefs team.

Something needs to be changed but I would honestly say go back to the rule from a couple of years ago where the onside kick had a 9-11% success rate instead of the 4-5% it has with this current rule because th onside kick is a spectacular play every now and then when it does work and I don’t want that gone but I don’t really know what to do since the change was put in place for safety and they won’t backtrack on that. 

This new proposed idea seems dumb to me. 

31 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Too gimmicky 

Exactly. It's an arbitrary down and distance, at an arbitrary point in the game, an arbitrary number of times a game. Why fourth quarter and not end of half? Why one time and not two or three? Why 15 yards and not 14 or 16? I get that they probably chose the distance based on percentages in order to make it similar to the onside kick success, but how do you measure the element of surprise in the onside kick that surely affected those percentages?

It honestly feels like a playground rule made up by 10 year olds.

6 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Gaining 15 yards seems way easier than getting a successful onside.  All these changes are dumb.

Exactly, another way that offense will outweigh defense in this league. Not to mention the bogus PI/roughing calls on this "onside kick 4th and 15 thing"

5 hours ago, Tyty said:

I don’t like it. Feel like they should be lax on penalties for it, like passing on a fake punt. Also it’s a long shot you need to earn to put yourself in a game you took yourself out of, so 4th and 20 or so makes sense. Make it harder to attain if it does happen. 

While I dont like the possible change I agree it needs to be more than just 15 yards. In this NFL completing a 15 yard pass isn't THAT hard, although my team cant but still it should be very tough because you weren't good enough for 55-59 minutes of football, you shouldn't be allowed to get something easy.

If there was a penalty they shouldn't get the automatic first like if it was illegal contact downfield during a regular play.  They should get the 5 yards but not the automatic 1st.  Only way they should get the free first is PI beyond the 15 yard mark.  PI inside 15 should be yardage and replay the attempt from the spot of the foul.

Adding to this they should then make all plays able to be reviewed.  Meaning any PI calls should be confirmed via video replay just to make sure a ticky tack PI isn't a game changer. 

8 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I like it better than the onside, those were basically a once a season it works level thing regardless so why not. Make it a real football play instead of "lets just pray we get a 1/10000 bounce".

What about if you kickoff and the ball goes through the uprights you get it at your own 35.

Or you kickoff from the 35 and you have to hit the opponent's players with the ball and if it goes out of bounds or you recovery, your ball.

Or what about make it take it tbh.

Archived