Owners to vote on 4th and 15 on-side kick alternative [Vote Failed To Pass]

wackywabbit

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah I think they would continue from where they converted the 4th down.

If that's the case I would assume if the offense scores on the play, it counts as a TD.  If you score with seconds left in the game to make it a one possession game, you essentially get a free play now to try and score instead of needing to recover an onside kick first.    

15 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

It wouldn't be a conversion attempt it would be a 4th down where the clock does run. It is more like a kickoff than a conversion attempt and the clock runs on a kickoff once the ball is in play.

Where are you seeing this?

I haven't seen anything suggesting this will be the case. But if true, that would be dumb, since not running the clock for that snap would be a purely better idea.

25 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Why would the clock run? It doesn't run on any other kickoff/after-score try plays. Otherwise the same problem would exist with 2-point attempts where you could just run backwards for 10 seconds.

The clock does run on kickoffs after they touch the ball.

18 minutes ago, EL Guapo said:

I think it would be a normal drive that starts 4th and 15. Everything would work the same 

Yes that is my assumption as well. There could be a conversion, a turnover, a TD, you may even be able to try an 83 yard FG if there is hurricane winds.

21 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Where are you seeing this?

I haven't seen anything suggesting this will be the case. But if true, that would be dumb, since not running the clock for that snap would be a purely better idea.

Not seeing anything, just assuming. Not sure why it would be a dead clock, the game is continuing. I don't think this is a try that if you succeed then you get the ball at your 20 or some other spot it is just a continuation of the game.

They certainly should try it in preseason and get feedback before considering it for regular season. Right now I don't like it but I'm a traditionalist so I usually don't like new rules but if they do want to try it I think we deserve to see it play out in a preseason game before they implement it so we can cheer or jeer the idea.

36 minutes ago, EL Guapo said:

I think it would be a normal drive that starts 4th and 15. Everything would work the same 

I love that for some reason they have to still call it 4th down instead of saying an untimed down where you turn the ball over if you don't get 15 yards.

We should give each coach a set of Uno cards that let's them skip downs. That's what football needs.

27 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I love that for some reason they have to still call it 4th down instead of saying an untimed down where you turn the ball over if you don't get 15 yards.

We should give each coach a set of Uno cards that let's them skip downs. That's what football needs.

Saving all those reverse cards for the 4th quarter turnover 

1 hour ago, EL Guapo said:

I figure this is the eventual endgame in which the kickoff is replaced completely.  After a score you line up on whatever yard line and you face 4th and 15, most of the time in that situation an NFL team will punt, which effectively replaces the kickoff (and is a safer play.)

I mean, punt returns for touchdowns still happen, so we can maintain the fiction that the "kicking of the ball which transfers possession after a score" is an exciting play in some sense other than "it features large people running into each other at high speeds".

Archived