Trib Columnists Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer talk Bears FA.

soulman

Trib Columnists Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer talk Bears FA.

Rich Campbell and Dan Wiederer break down the Bears' start to free agency, starting with the Bears-Packers swap of safeties Adrian Amos and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (2:31 mark). They discuss the role of sports media in the wake of Bradley University's restrictions on the Peoria Journal Star's longtime basketball beat writer (21:44) and use that incident to discuss the dynamics of Bears media coverage (28:09). They examine the free-agent additions to the offense, specifically Mike Davis and Cordarrelle Patterson (37:51), and what they mean for Jordan Howard and Mitch Trubisky (48:14). They crown a coach who helped develop two unheralded secondary prospects and, by extension, improved the Bears' chances of earning a compensatory draft pick in 2020 (55:26).

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-bears-free-agency-ha-ha-clinton-dix-podcast-20190318-htmlstory.html

I can't listen to it due to the data protection issues between the US and the EU. Other journalism sites such as the Suntimes & Daily Herald allow for content to be published in Europe. I don't why the Trib has not fixed this issue. It has been almost 9 months since the restrictions went into effect.

25 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I really like the Hoge and Jahns podcast that they put out

Agreed,  honestly I think most of you guys do better numbers and analysis than the local beat guys, but Hoge and Jahns do a good job on stories and the podcast is really entertaining.  The thing I recall most from it was in the preseason and camp they were pushing two themes that turned out to be true

-Watch this offense, as it's going to be extremely creative

-Be prepared for a learning curve in the passing game

On a macro level I think they have the best handle on this team.  

5 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

I really like the Hoge and Jahns podcast that they put out

I can post their latest as well but this week Campbell and Wiederer had better content.  Hoge and Jahns seemed more distracted and out of new things to discuss so they start out talking about Hoge's dog tangling with a skunk long before they get to football.  Might turn some listeners off.

4 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Agreed,  honestly I think most of you guys do better numbers and analysis than the local beat guys, but Hoge and Jahns do a good job on stories and the podcast is really entertaining.  The thing I recall most from it was in the preseason and camp they were pushing two themes that turned out to be true

-Watch this offense, as it's going to be extremely creative

-Be prepared for a learning curve in the passing game

On a macro level I think they have the best handle on this team.  

I've said it before but it bears repeating I think Adam Jahns is the sharpest analytically of any of the Bears beat guys.

59 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Where do you guys think Brad Biggs ranks among the beat reporters?

I think he's a good source for info and commentary but he's seldom critical in print thereby staying on the good side of Bears management.

I always thought David Haugh was a more astute critic but he's on radio now more than anything so his role has changed.

I cross over a bit and think that Jahns and Wiederer both of whom I believe are Chicagoans seem to hone in on what's most important to disseminate to fans which makes them more valuable for knowledgeable fans but possibly less so for those who seek more entertainment or conflict.

I seldom if ever watch other media because it's all scripted for entertainment value not for analysis or debate.  The podcasts are much better for that.

Archived