2019 NFL Draft V4

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

Just now, Jerry said:

I'm still surprised when people say us taking him with our second is too high.  The guy is going to be good.

QB, Edge, and CB are the premium positions in today's NFL, if you can get a good one you have to take him. 

Oliver is an elite run defender who still has a ton of development to do as a pass rusher. He’s slightly above average in that department. Forget Quinnen Williams, anyone calling Quinnen 1a and Oliver 1b seriously needs to explain themselves better to make such an outrageous claim. Oliver should be compared to Wilkins as a 1a and 1b. They are in the same class, and I prefer Wilkins. Oliver is not on Jeffery Simmons level. If he didn’t tear his ACL he’s a Top 5-10 pick and easily the 2nd best DT in this draft. Simmons tape is absolutely amazing. 

I didn’t wanna get involved in the Oliver debate but some of the claims in here are pretty bold and nothing to really back it up. 

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The guys crapping on Oliver are hilarious.

Who's crapping on him? He's a good prospect but very limited in what he'll be able to do at the next level. At 3T we already have Hurst (who graded out as a similar prospect to Oliver) and Hall (who's bigger and a better athlete than Oliver), he just doesn't fit with what we already have. Quinnen Williams is bigger, longer, and more versatile which is why he's a better prospect and a better fit here. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Oliver is an elite run defender who still has a ton of development to do as a pass rusher. He’s slightly above average in that department. Forget Quinnen Williams, anyone calling Quinnen 1a and Oliver 1b seriously needs to explain themselves better to make such an outrageous claim. Oliver should be compared to Wilkins as a 1a and 1b. They are in the same class, and I prefer Wilkins. Oliver is not on Jeffery Simmons level. If he didn’t tear his ACL he’s a Top 5-10 pick and easily the 2nd best DT in this draft. Simmons tape is absolutely amazing. 

I didn’t wanna get involved in the Oliver debate but some of the claims in here are pretty bold and nothing to really back it up. 

He graded out as the 20th best DT against the run last season according to PFF. Are there 19 other elite run defenders in the class? If so why take a chance on Oliver early? 

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

His physical tools are off the chart if you take him early you have to hope that you can coach him up. A number of top pass rushers were meh in college. 

Which ones were meh in college but got drafted top 15-20 (gary’s Projection)

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

The guys crapping on Oliver are hilarious.

I just don't want him because I view him as being a lot like M. Hurst.  I feel like Williams provides a different set of skills that would be more valuable next to Hurst than Oliver.  I don't think Oliver would be bad, I just think we'd be less likely to use him as often as we would Q. Williams.  Plus I made the point that Q. Williams is about an inch taller and 15 lbs heavier so he'd be safer to play alongside Hurst when playing against the run (possible audible).  That's just my opinion though.

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Which ones were meh in college but got drafted top 15-20 (gary’s Projection)

They got taken later in the draft but guys like Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter, and Chris Jones fell in the draft and weren't dominant as pass rushers in college but have been double digit sack guys in the league. 

1 minute ago, Jerry said:

I just don't want him because I view him as being a lot like M. Hurst.  I feel like Williams provides a different set of skills that would be more valuable next to Hurst than Oliver.  I don't think Oliver would be bad, I just think we'd be less likely to use him as often as we would Q. Williams.  Plus I made the point that Q. Williams is about an inch taller and 15 lbs heavier so he'd be safer to play alongside Hurst when playing against the run (possible audible).  That's just my opinion though.

Oliver showed up at his pro day at 280 as well and will probably play closer to 275 during the season. So Quinnen is actually an inch taller, 30 pounds heavier, and his arms are almost 2 inches longer. Plus Williams has played DE/3T/NT in college and will be able to move around with his size, length, and athleticism. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

They got taken later in the draft but guys like Frank Clark, Danielle Hunter, and Chris Jones fell in the draft and weren't dominant as pass rushers in college but have been double digit sack guys in the league. 

Uhhh you’re wrong about Chris Jones. He was an absolute dominant pass rusher in college and didn’t finish, usually a step away. I had him as a Top 10 prospect and was pounding the table for him at 14 most of the off season. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Oliver showed up at his pro day at 280 as well and will probably play closer to 275 during the season. So Quinnen is actually an inch taller, 30 pounds heavier, and his arms are almost 2 inches longer. Plus Williams has played DE/3T/NT in college and will be able to move around with his size, length, and athleticism. 

Thanks.  We are on the same page. We get Williams at 4 I'm partying.

Just now, BayRaider said:

Uhhh you’re wrong about Chris Jones. He was an absolute dominant pass rusher in college and didn’t finish, usually a step away. I had him as a Top 10 prospect and was pounding the table for him at 14 most of the off season. 

Chris Jones had 8.5 sacks in 38 games at Mississippi State. 

3 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I think what most posters that like Oliver (and I am one of them) see is someone who on tape flashes some elite traits. That at times, he demonstrates a rare quickness and burst and can beat double teams. I, like a number have stated (and quite a few pundits too) feel that Houston did him a disservice playing him at nose and that he has upside as a pass rusher if he goes to a team who can use him right. I like his fit with Guenther's D. I think he has more upside than Wilkins for example, who I think is a very good prospect, a good all rounder, but conversely played on an outstanding dline and had a really good chance to shine.

That doesn't mean I like him more than Williams. I haven't seen anyone say that once. But I have also seen lots of posters on this forum, the draft forum, other forums and media pundits say he is a top 10 and even too 5 prospect. It really isn't as outlandish as so many seem to making out.

Archived