The Aggressive Mock Draft

WindyCity

Free Agents [5.25]

OLB Cassius Marsh [San Francisco] 1 year 3.5 million/1.5 guaranteed [3.5]

*250k/4+ sacks

*25k/game

The Bears need a 3rd OLB and this is why I like Marsh for the Bears, he is coming off a 5 sack season and has been pretty consistent as a pass rusher, he has also been a core special teamer player, and he is was released and would have no impact on comp picks. I would offer him a 1 year deal at a little less than Bruce Irvin with incentives and give him a chance to earn the 4 million that he was set to make with the 49ers. Marsh gives the Bears some added speed off the edge and core special teams player for a unit that sucked last season.

8122508.jpg

S Deandre Houston-Carson 2 year 2.2 million/500k guaranteed [1]

He is very good on special teams and was integrated onto the defense last season without looking lost or out of place. I think you bring him back for 2 years like Braunecker and incorporate him into the 2020 safety competition if he can continue to grow. He also had reps covering the slot and that versatility is nice to have.

LS Patrick Scales 1 year 750k/100k guaranteed [.75]

I had no specific issue with Scales last season. I do not remember snaps being an issue on many kicks and he has experience with O'Donnell which is worth something.

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[2020], 4[126] [246] to the New England Patriots for 2[64] [270]. This is pretty much the exact trade from last season, but the picks are later in each round and the Patriots can expect the Bears 2nd round pick to be around the same spot.

2[64] RB Darrell Henderson [Memphis] 5'8" 208lbs, 4.49 [40], 22 reps, 33.5", vert, 10'1" broad

Henderson appears to be the ideal back for the Bears. He is an explosive runner, he had 1909 yards with 8.9 YPC in 2018, in 2017 he also averaged 8.9 YPC. He scored 36 TDs in 3 seasons at Memphis. He has the homerun ability that the Bears clearly want, he had runs of 35, 39, 43, 47, 54, 60, 61, 61, 78, and 82. He has produced big plays in the passing game as well. In 2018, he had 19 catches for 295 yards, 15.5 YPC, and 3 TDs, including catches of 20, 26, 43, 62, and 71. In 2017 he averaged almost 10 yards per catch on 24 catches. When it comes to explosive plays Henderson is one of the most productive players in the draft. If the Bears want to get more explosive and generate more big plays from the RB spot then Henderson should be the target. It is not worth risking a lesser offensive jump in 2019, when the Bears are very much going to be competing, to hold onto a 2020 pick.

D2Osn6tWkAAprtf.png

8744865.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 3[87] [155] to the Los Angeles Rams for 3[99] and 4[133] [143]. The Bears can move down and recoup their 4th round pick and ensure that they add a volume of picks and developmental players at key spots.

3[99] TE Josh Oliver [San Jose St] 6'5" 249lbs, 4.63[40], 22 reps, 34", 9'9 broad

The lack of a 2nd passing game weapon at TE is holding the offense back and when Burton was out it was downright crippling. The Bears can believe that Shaheen will develop, but they cannot rely on that based on what we have seen and his injury history. The Bears need a player who is athletic enough for defense to account for in the passing game and that can threaten the defense enough that they actually cover him. Oliver has the size to compete at the inline TE and the athletic ability to fill in the flex position. He gives the Bears a player who based on athletic ability can threaten the seam and vertically, which will open up things underneath. In 2018, Oliver averages 12.7 YPC and showed that he can generate big plays and YAC, something Shaheen just has not shown that he can do. Best case scenario is that Oliver and Shaheen both play well and perhaps you can save 8 million on the future on Bennett.

sjm-sjsufbc-0917-02.jpg?w=554

4[133] CB Isaiah Johnson [Houston] 6'2" 208lbs, 4.4 [40], 36.5" vert, 11'1" broad

Johnson has elite physical tools, but some serious rough edges as a CB after converting from WR in college. The Bears do not need Johnson in 2019, knock on wood, he can hopefully get an entire year with Pagano and Townsend before being entered into the competition in 2020 to replace Prince. At a minimum he should immediately step on to special teams and give the Bears a big athletic gunnner to replace Bellamy.

Isaiah+Johnson+Lamar+v+Houston+--ygve27r

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade RB Jordan Howard to the Philadelphia Eagles for 5[163]. With Henderson and Davis on board I do not think that the Bears need to keep Howard any longer. I think a 5th round pick is solid compensation for him.

5[162] S Darius West [Kentucky] 5'11" 209lbs, 4.39 [40], 19 reps, 33.5" vert, 9'5" broad

The Bears seem set at safety in 2019, but they need help on special teams and they need to start developing someone for 2020. HHCD is a free agent an unlikely to fit into the Bears budget. Bush will be a free agent and probably looking to start somewhere. The Bears can add West who has a nice athletic, size and play style profile for the SS spot. West had 47 tackles, 3 INTs, and a FF last season, which is pretty good ball production for a SS. He has experience close to the line of scrimmage and has the tools for the Bears to develop. In 2019 West can be a core special teamer, before competing to start in 2020.

Darius+West+Kentucky+v+Mississippi+State

5[163] WR Mecole Hardman [Georgia] 5'10" 187lbs, 4.33 [40], 17 reps, 36.5" vert, 9'11" broad

The Bears were clearly on a mission to add speed to the offense with Patterson and Hall, but neither of them is more than a gimmick guy or a backup WR. The Bears need to look at developing a player that can be more on offense that has elite speed. The offense struggled vertically in 2018 and some of that is on the QB, but the Bears need to threaten more down the field. Hardman has truly elite speed and can be developed as a sub package guy in 2019 and possible long term replacement for Gabriel.

8674506.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

7[222] OG Phil Haynes [Wake Forest] 6'4" 322lbs, 33.5" arms, 5.2 [40], 33 reps, 31" vert, 9'2" broad

The Bears need a starting RG in 2020 as Long's deal is really just a one year deal. The Bears also need to start getting some people who can move people in the power run game, which they struggled at last season. Haynes is a big, long armed, people mover. He is a physically imposing player that thrives in the power run game and in putting people on their backs. Haynes gets a year with Heistand to develop and compete with Coward at RG in 2020.

p-505x400.jpg

7[238] K Matt Gay [Utah] 6' 230lbs.

I know the Bears could wait to UDFA to add a kicker, but my concern is that opens you up to 32 other teams bidding on and recruiting your guy. Gay is the guy I think the Bears should target. He has a big leg, has been accurate in his career, and has kicked in the weather in Utah. He was 84% last season on his FG attempts, with a long of 55. he was 3/5 on 50+ yard FG attempts and 7/10 on 40+ yard attempts and missed 0 kicks from inside of 40 yards. Gay can come in and compete with Redford Jones, the winner is the kicker and the loser goes to the PR squad in case the winner struggles and needs to be replaced.

7935796.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

2020 Picks

2-Oakland

4-Amos

5-Oakland

5-Callahan

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Daniel

RB: Henderson, Davis, Cohen, Mizzell

WR: Robinson, Gabriel, Miller, Wims, Patterson, Hall/Hardman

TE: Burton, Shaheen, Oliver, Braunecker

LT: Leno, Sowell

LG: Daniel

C: Whitehair, Larsen

RG: Long, Haynes [PR]

RT: Massie, Coward

RE: RRH, Bullard

NT: Goldman, Nichols

LE: Hicks, Williams

OLB: Floyd, Marsh, Fitts

ILB: Smith, Iggy

ILB: Trevathan, Kwitkowski

OLB: Mack, Irving

CB: Fuller, Prince, Skrine, Johnson, Tolliver, McManis

FS: Jackson, West, DHC

SS: HHCD, Bush

K: Gay

P: O'Donnell

LS: Scales

I haven't watched him, but I like that you guys keep drafting Gay.  I like big kickers. Seems like you can improve accuracy, but power is something the  smaller guys can't  achieve. 

I think Henderson may be there in 3rd if you want him. In any event I really don't see Pace trading up in this draft. Especially for a RB.  At least not into 2nd. Maybe into 4th or something. 

I really like tightend @Madmike90 pointed out. SDST kid. Warring that was his name.  There was another one I pointed out a long time ago and I cant even remember who it was now.  Real good receiver, bad blocker.  Maybe it will come to me later.  

Agree that we really need to add a TE.

I was reading about some of the TEs in this class yesterday, I liked the sound of Oliver a lot. Read about Warring too but got the feeling he might be gone by the time we pick in the 3rd.

I was intrigued too by the sound of Kendall Blanton from Missouri as a later round pick, he has freakishly good size and athleticism.

Disclaimer: I'm by no means a draftnik, I literally just read about these guys to see what type of player they are.

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Free Agents [5.25]

OLB Cassius Marsh [San Francisco] 1 year 3.5 million/1.5 guaranteed [3.5]

*250k/4+ sacks

*25k/game

The Bears need a 3rd OLB and this is why I like Marsh for the Bears, he is coming off a 5 sack season and has been pretty consistent as a pass rusher, he has also been a core special teamer player, and he is was released and would have no impact on comp picks. I would offer him a 1 year deal at a little less than Bruce Irvin with incentives and give him a chance to earn the 4 million that he was set to make with the 49ers. Marsh gives the Bears some added speed off the edge and core special teams player for a unit that sucked last season.

8122508.jpg

S Deandre Houston-Carson 2 year 2.2 million/500k guaranteed [1]

He is very good on special teams and was integrated onto the defense last season without looking lost or out of place. I think you bring him back for 2 years like Braunecker and incorporate him into the 2020 safety competition if he can continue to grow. He also had reps covering the slot and that versatility is nice to have.

LS Patrick Scales 1 year 750k/100k guaranteed [.75]

I had no specific issue with Scales last season. I do not remember snaps being an issue on many kicks and he has experience with O'Donnell which is worth something.

I'm liking Marsh more and more as time passes.  He's the right age, has never had injury issues, and had his best season last year in SF.  He could do even better in this defense.

I have no problem re-signing DH-C with a small guarantee as a hedge against not being able to draft a rookie SS but I might wait 'til after the draft to do it.  If we spend our 3rd on a SS he would more than likely take DH-C's role.

LS is not an area I can comment on.  If they feel they can't improve on Scales so be it but I'd also bring in others to compete.

I'll leave mocks to others.

48 minutes ago, malagabears said:

Nice write up Windy, I would love to replace your pick in the 3rd with Eric McCoy to replace Long in 2020. He looks like a winner with Heistand developing him over a year. Cmon Soul, let's see one mock from you. Lol

Never done a mock brother and probably never will.  I simply don't know the prospects well enough.

Other than that FA continues right up to the draft and beyond and teams are so much more active with trades now than they used to be there's too many moving targets to hope to be even accurate with higher picks let alone mid rounders.  It's just not something I'm good at myself.

I thought a lot about trading our 2nd from next year in this draft given the comp picks we will get but I reckon we should hold on to as much ammo as possible as I think year 3 under Nagy is the one where we will win a SB...

If we do trade up for a RB I would still rather it was Montgomery...Henderson hit a ton of home runs but against terrible fronts...Montgomery can grind out tougher yards...love Oliver...I like Johnson...West would be okay but I don't see a starter or an upgrade on Bush coming out...Hardman is an interesting one and a lot of people think he could be a better CB than WR...not sure he lasts to the 5th...Haynes is another guy I reckon will be gone...Gay would be a quality pick.

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I thought a lot about trading our 2nd from next year in this draft given the comp picks we will get but I reckon we should hold on to as much ammo as possible as I think year 3 under Nagy is the one where we will win a SB...

If we do trade up for a RB I would still rather it was Montgomery...Henderson hit a ton of home runs but against terrible fronts...Montgomery can grind out tougher yards...love Oliver...I like Johnson...West would be okay but I don't see a starter or an upgrade on Bush coming out...Hardman is an interesting one and a lot of people think he could be a better CB than WR...not sure he lasts to the 5th...Haynes is another guy I reckon will be gone...Gay would be a quality pick.

I just do not see Montgomery being a fit. Athletically he is very similar to Howard and it is not like he was playing great defenses in the Big 12.

His athletic numbers are bordering on horrible and we are clearly looking for a more explosive player.

He just profiles very similar to Jordan Howard.

There is just not explosion of big play to his game. He actually runs a lot like Howard. He is hard to tackle when he gets going, he is very good in the zone run on the cut back, a big play from him is 15-30 yards.

He is a good player, but I think he is the exact same scheme fit issue as Howard, but a little better receiver.

If you want another Howard you pick Ryquell Armstead in the 5th. He has homerun speed but his vision isn't as good as Howards. He hasn't done much in the passing game and his coach says he struggles securing the catch (takes his eyes off the ball too early, I guess that's fixable).

Sometimes he decides to run into a DB when he has some yards elsewhere, I guess he thinks running over a DB and going all the way is better than gaining 3 more yards running into 2 DBs and not getting a TD. He's a tough runner, I really like him.

IIRC he's only 1 of 3 players in NCAA history to have a sack and 100 yards rushing in a game xD

He'd be close to the "Nagy RB measurables"

5'11 220lbs
4.45 40
1.53 10 yard split
114 inch broad (that's just under the 118 inch for a Nagy RB)
30 inch vertical (the big outlier to the Nagy RB)
7.02 3 cone is very good as well

Archived