My/Your choices at each Packer pick

OneTwoSixFive

On 3/25/2019 at 9:11 AM, OneTwoSixFive said:

Here is one take on my players of interest for each Packers pick. I would be interested to see other posters list their favourites for each round. I would also like to see posters making cases for other guys not on my board (especially rounds 4-7). For some clarifications on my choices, see my comments below.

1 #12 – DL Ed Oliver, Rashaan Gary, Christian Wilkins, Edge Clelin Ferrell, Montez Sweat, Brian Burns, OT JawaanTaylor.
1 #30 – DL Jeffery Simmons, TE T.J.Hockenson, Noah Fant, OT Andre Dillard,
2 #44 - DL Jerry Tillery, OT Dalton Risner, TE Irv Smith, WR N'Keal Harry, CB(FS?) Amani Oruwariye, FS Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Nasir Adderley.
3 #75 - OT Tytus Howard, FS Darnell Savage, ILB Cameron Smith, WR Andy Isabella, TE Jace Sternberger
4 #114 & #118   TE Kahale Warring. Edge Anthony Nelson, Chase Winovich RB Mike Weber, Devine Ozigbo, Rodney Anderson, Justice Hill.
5 #150 DL Khalen Saunders, WR Gary Jennings, Dillon Mitchell, OG Dru Samia, Edge Sutton Smith, LB Josiah Tauefa, S Saquan Hampton.
6 #185 & #194    RB James Williams, Bruce Anderson, Edge Maxx Crosby, Porter Gustin, TE Josh Oliver, LB Emeke Egbule.
7 #226 QB Easton Stick, K Cole Tracy, G Javon Patterson.

I gave my picks without comment. Just some comments on your picks.

Dillard looks like a Packers tackle. I don't know whether they grade him as top 15 or first round. No one else I think is a round one tackle prospect for GB (or OL). I don't know if Risner grades that high. He is being projected as a center. Lindstrom is likely a round two prospect at guard and is a Packer type. Just depends how high they grade him. Dillard and Lindstrom probably get the highest GB type grades.

I don't like this edge class for GB at all except the top two. That's why the Pack grabbed two in FA who fit what Pettine likes. He values DL (and CB) much higher. So Oliver and Wilkins could be in play at 12.

I would like Simmons at 30 and he will be there. Just depends on that knee but I doubt GB risks it. I don't have another DL I like til round 3-4. I hate hate hate risks there. Mike Neal, Worthy, Datone Jones (who I knew was a bust at his first training camp) were all big risk picks. Nick Perry was decent but injured all the time and he is our kind of edge but not the best fit for Capers.

I want less risky prospects and based on Gute's draft last year -- almost all ballers and Packers "types" -- I hope Gute is going that way. The WRs were nice SPARQ AND Packer types. Rodgers and everyone loved  those three. WR is not  a need at all and there are excellent WRs on day three. Some interesting slot guys. But we have four solid starters imo next year, an upgrade from last, esp since Cobb had not gotten open in 2 years now -- just look at his highlights from 2011. The WRs were very solid picks. Year 2 is exciting. Allison was a trusted and excellent target.

That said, the only guys of yours I like at 12 are Oliver (some risk with character and fit maybe) and Wilkins. Ferrell is round two unless he takes the tests. I think he is closer to the edge we want. Edge is such a risk. I would take Watt at 12 before any of your guys. They are too risky or not the right type. Again, we got two edge. No FO likes picking edge but everyone has to. 

Dillard is number 3-6 on my GB board. It all depends whether they think his technique is fixable, but he's a no brainer if he can be fixed and play RT and LT. Jeremiah has him at 11. He's definitely higher on GB's board because of positional value.

Sternberger, Smith Jr. and Oliver (TE) are not even on my board for GB. None of those guys can block and Smith is really short -- it jumps out to me just in his highlights. Hock, Fant (?), Moreau, Warring, Sweeney are in play imo.

Anyways, really like the thread. 

I think we need to just forget about Edge before day three. Look at the draft as a BPA draft and very very likely building offense for Rodgers final years -- we grabbed 3 FA to set up this draft. As I see it offense will be BPA where we pick. Defense is deep but very weak at the top and it seems Gute saw that. The FA moves had the draft in mind.

Finally, I too was hoping for a killing on D with the hype about the edge and DL in this draft. But the quality simply isn't there. Look for steals at safety, DL, and ilb in round 3-4. That's the GB target imo. 

12: Ed Oliver, Brian Burns, Trade Down

Preferred Pick: Ed Oliver

30: Noah Fant, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, Devin Bush

Preferred Pick: Noah Fant (if there), otherwise Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

44: Dalton Risner, Nassir Adderley, Chris Lindstrom

Preferred Pick: Chris Lindstrom

75: Andy Isabella, Jace Sternberger

Preferred Pick: Jace Sternberger

Day 3 guys: Andy Isabella, Iman Marshall, Porter Gustin, Chase Winovich

Preferred Pick: Andy Isabella

If our draft went Oliver, CGJ, Lindstrom, Sternberger and Isabella I'd be ecstatic. A potential superstar and offense wrecker in Ed Oliver paired with a highly regarded player at our biggest weakness in Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Add some more depth to the OL with Chris Lindstrom, then get our TE of the future Jace Sternberger and a legit burner and slot guy in Andy Isabella. As far as I'm concerned all our major needs would then be met.

I'm moving Wren up to 30 and taking Saunders at 75, maybe even 44.

I wanted Chris Jones (but am good with Clark). Wren I think is a better prospect than Jones, just raw. Wren I like better than Oliver maybe.

Unlike Tillery, I don't think he will bust. He has a good floor and a very high ceiling. Pettine likes his inside rush. Those two would be great. Or if we want to go nuts: Oliver at 12 and Wren at 30 with a safety at 3 or 4. The rest: offense.

Or moving down from 12 and grabbing Hockinson or Dillard. This class is deep and I really want more picks in it.

Archived