Vance McDonald Traded to Steelers

GW21

Just now, Forge said:

The funny thing is that I love this move, and we are probably really only moving up about 10-15 spots lol

I'm right there with you. We get rid of a player who didn't have a future here while offloading a bad contract to move up back into the 4th. Big time win imo. 

I liked Vances potential but he never put it all together for us. The contract he got was probably undeserved but I didn't mind it since he was already a niner. Glad he's got a chance to play a big role in with Big Ben, but I'm glad we got another 4th. A TE in the 4th next year is probably a better bet than Vance ever was going to be for us moving forward. 

Our TE depth is pretty gross looking now though

20 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I liked Vances potential but he never put it all together for us. The contract he got was probably undeserved but I didn't mind it since he was already a niner. Glad he's got a chance to play a big role in with Big Ben, but I'm glad we got another 4th. A TE in the 4th next year is probably a better bet than Vance ever was going to be for us moving forward. 

Our TE depth is pretty gross looking now though

I think it's better than last year. If we are keeping Celek as the other tight end (Kittle, Celek, Paulsen), then it's basically a lateral move. I've been banging the drum for a couple of seasons now that Celek and Vance are basically the same player. We were going to get rid of one of them anyway, so I don't think this trade affects anything with regards to where our TE depth would have been. 

Seems like a salary dump more than anything, while also allowing our rookie TE to get experience and playing time while we find out what we have in Kittle moving forward with this rebuild. I have always liked McDonald a little more than most here but I'm not disappointed by this move by any means and I love our commitment to getting our younger players experience.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The funny thing is that I love this move, and we are probably really only moving up about 10-15 spots lol

Anything is better than nothing, which is where we were headed if we cut him.  It's painful to think we gave up our 4th next year, likely a pretty high pick, and moved all the way back to a supplemental 5th to pick up Bibbs who has about a zero chance of making the team, and will likely only move up 10-15 spots with this move.  But hey, we're moving on from the Baalke era! Will be interesting after the final cuts to see how many Baalke draft picks are still left on the team.

I just read last night that the only players left from our SB team were Staley, Bowman and Celek.  Looks like Celek's chances are pretty good now unless we're too worried about losing Hikutini if we put him on the PS.

Just now, big9erfan said:

Anything is better than nothing, which is where we were headed if we cut him.  It's painful to think we gave up our 4th next year, likely a pretty high pick, and moved all the way back to a supplemental 5th to pick up Bibbs who has about a zero chance of making the team, and will likely only move up 10-15 spots with this move.  But hey, we're moving on from the Baalke era! Will be interesting after the final cuts to see how many Baalke draft picks are still left on the team.

I just read last night that the only players left from our SB team were Staley, Bowman and Celek.  Looks like Celek's chances are pretty good now unless we're too worried about losing Hikutini if we put him on the PS.

I prefer to look at it that we gave up that pick for Taylor and Bibbs had nothing to do with it. I still don't like those types of trades, but I get it. And if Taylor is the next Welker, we won't care. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I prefer to look at it that we gave up that pick for Taylor and Bibbs had nothing to do with it. I still don't like those types of trades, but I get it. And if Taylor is the next Welker, we won't care. 

It certainly makes it easier to look at that way. But we had no idea he'd be there. That trade was not for Taylor. It was for Bibbs.  Now it won't be so painful if Taylor works out well.  But getting Taylor was not what management was trying to do with that trade.  They knowingly and willingly gave up about 60 spots in the draft (a little harder to tell since it was future 4th for current year comp 5th; this year the difference between our 4th and the comp 5th was 68 positions!) for Bibbs.  Who we were lucky enough to find still there when that 5th rolled around was just the luck of the draft.  I'll be plenty happy if Taylor works out as well as he's looked in preseason.  But a team cannot be successful over the long haul trading down 50-70 spots or so for guys that have little or no chance to make the roster.

The nice thing is that the McDonald trade gives us back a 4th next year.

Archived