Bills sign E.J. Gaines

Nick

We all know he has issues staying healthy, but if he can stay on the field, he's a fantastic #2 corner. Levi, Kevin Johnson and EJ will all be pushing for that spot. Competition is always good. 

Good contract terms (posted as well).

I believe it eliminates Greedy Williams / Byron Murphy at 9 too.

As a Browns fan, I wouldn't have minded bringing him back at that deal. He's solid when healthy, but seemingly never is. Dorsey probably just didn't want to give a roster spot to someone who has such durability concerns. Still, solid signing by you guys.

33 minutes ago, DawgX said:

As a Browns fan, I wouldn't have minded bringing him back at that deal. He's solid when healthy, but seemingly never is. Dorsey probably just didn't want to give a roster spot to someone who has such durability concerns. Still, solid signing by you guys.

yea we know his issues as we saw this 1st hand in 2017 but definitely like the depth that he will bring. If he gets injured the bills have back up options which they did not have last year. He was a great fit for the bills in 2017 but essentially let him walk because of his durability issues and at the time said he wanted a big time deal which he didnt end up getting because of injuries and only landed a 1 year deal with you guys. 

1 minute ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Still hate our rb and receiver situation tbqh. And pass rush is less than stellar.

Not sure why you hate the Rb situation considering we finally built a better oline. Shady is going to have a bounce back year, the hit on LG and Center were a huge issue with the run game last year and Gore still runs a 4.6 ypc even behind a crappy oline in Miami. He isnt flashy but overall a solid 1 2 punch. I dont care about age if they produce then they can be 80 for that matter. the wr pick ups are a plus they dont have a true #1 on the team and i wouldnt mind landing one with the 2nd rd pick maybe Harry, Ridley, Harmon, or Butler. Brown and Beasley are perfect fits. Beasley is a safety net that allen can count on and brown was having a solid year before Flacco went down. They stopped going deep after that since Lamar isnt all that great with the deep pass. Allen has the arm and between him and foster they will be able to stretch the field. Zay and rookie and be the physical guys they need in the redzone. It would be nice to have an overall #1 but if you look at the past 10 superbowl champs your not  going to see a true #1 wr on that team. Pass rush is a huge issue outside of Hughes I have zero faith in that and would expect this to change in the draft

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Not sure why you hate the Rb situation considering we finally built a better oline. Shady is going to have a bounce back year, the hit on LG and Center were a huge issue with the run game last year and Gore still runs a 4.6 ypc even behind a crappy oline in Miami. He isnt flashy but overall a solid 1 2 punch. I dont care about age if they produce then they can be 80 for that matter. the wr pick ups are a plus they dont have a true #1 on the team and i wouldnt mind landing one with the 2nd rd pick maybe Harry, Ridley, Harmon, or Butler. Brown and Beasley are perfect fits. Beasley is a safety net that allen can count on and brown was having a solid year before Flacco went down. They stopped going deep after that since Lamar isnt all that great with the deep pass. Allen has the arm and between him and foster they will be able to stretch the field. Zay and rookie and be the physical guys they need in the redzone. It would be nice to have an overall #1 but if you look at the past 10 superbowl champs your not  going to see a true #1 wr on that team. Pass rush is a huge issue outside of Hughes I have zero faith in that and would expect this to change in the draft

Sorry I’m just not trusting 2 running backs over 30 years old. Sure they can be productive in stints, but i don’t want either of them having over 150 carries. It’s just how running backs are. The wear and tear catches up. I’d feel a lot better if we get a scat back pass catching running back to change up the pace.  Receiver again we have a bunch of mediocrity. Whe we need a 4th and 7 with the game on the line where is the ball going? I don’t trust anyone on our team to go make a play. Again, if we go get a Nkeal Harry, Metcalf, etc. I’d feel a lot better. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope we draft Hockenson then trade up and get Harry. Absolute dream scenario. Then trade for Clowney. I’d cry.

3 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Still hate our rb and receiver situation tbqh. And pass rush is less than stellar.

I don't hate it. I'm a firm believer you fill holes in free agency and build through the the draft and draft best players available. Is the roster perfect no... But I don't see any major holes currently which is perfect. Can we improve at positions. Of course but looking at it now we have serviceable starters at every position. I couldn't say that last year at the reciever position or the OLine.

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Sorry I’m just not trusting 2 running backs over 30 years old. Sure they can be productive in stints, but i don’t want either of them having over 150 carries. It’s just how running backs are. The wear and tear catches up. I’d feel a lot better if we get a scat back pass catching running back to change up the pace.  Receiver again we have a bunch of mediocrity. Whe we need a 4th and 7 with the game on the line where is the ball going? I don’t trust anyone on our team to go make a play. Again, if we go get a Nkeal Harry, Metcalf, etc. I’d feel a lot better. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope we draft Hockenson then trade up and get Harry. Absolute dream scenario. Then trade for Clowney. I’d cry.

I would trust Beasley and Foster in that scenario. Certainly more so than any rookie wideout. 

I don't get the any RB will do good with a quality OL talk? Sure every year a James Conner emerges but It's not the norm, it happens but it's just crazy to expect it to happen.

I agree with @bigbadbuff23835 , I'm very uncertain about our RB situation however I believe we will select a RB between rounds 2 and 4 and let him develop with Josh Allen

18 hours ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

You dont need to trust a RB to carry the ball more then 150 times, the reason gore was brought in was to have a core of rbs work together. Him and Shady are buddies and they both can produce. Shady was averaging 250+ carries a year up until last season. You can clearly see the issue of losing the 3 interior lineman from 2017 to 2018 causing a major factor both in the run game and the passing game, it would be different if those guys graded out better then what we had in 2017 but according to the charts LG Incognito, C Wood, RG Ducasse were fairing at the 80th percentile in 2017and 2018 LG Ducasse/Teller, C Bodine/Groy, and RG Miller all were grading out in the 50s and 60s. How do you expect to go against teams with dlines who are much more talented then this horrid oline is and expect your rb to get through. At times the oline protection was shredded where the rb didnt even get the ball before being blown up. Yet you expect them to find a hole to run through? Steelers gave Leveon bell 5-6 seconds to find a hole to run through. Gurley and Elliot have had one of the most expensive and top olines in the league that were put together for the last 3 years so yes you can Plug and play. CJ Anderson is another example of plug and play rams oline was amazing for them last year and they were able to run the rock with him, while gurley was out, when he failed miserably in other organizations. When Ap was suspended or went down with injury Asiata and Mckinnon stepped in and were producing because Vikings had a solid oline at the time.  Gurley didnt get his break out until they brought in guys to bulk up that oline so you can argue what you want but the fact is bulking up and getting better oline help the RB position tremendously. This RB class is horrid anyways and you can not address every need in an offseason. You have Shady who is a leader on and off the field which is what they need considering Kyle left, they need a voice on offense while Allen goes in to year 2 and I can easily blame his performance dropping based on the oline because you couldnt put any other RB back there to think they would have made a difference. The bills will be top 10 in rushing this year you can count on it. both Gore and Shady will average 4+ ypc which is all you really need as it would be putting you at 3rd in short most of the time to avoid those 4th and 7s.

4th and 7 i would say brown and foster stretching the field to get open then check down to kroft beasley or zay. Im not sure why you assume that you need an Antonio Brown or Odel Beckham to get it done. Im pretty sure Tom Brady can manage to throw the ball to Chris Hogan, or Julian Edelman in those situations and manage to get the 1st down. Prove to me where and Odel Beckham, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Aj Green have had a huge impact that they were in a superbowl? If you have a qb that you believe is the franchise he will be able to get things done. You do not need a star WR in order to win games this has been proven. Name me 1 stud WR who has a superbowl ring in the last 10-15 years that has been a difference maker for that team the bills would need in order to be in that scenario? I am not sure why you would assume a Rookie player like Metcalf who hasnt shown he is a #1 wr in college nor guys like Harry either to say they would be the one getting the ball in that 4th and 7 scenario. Metcalf has been dead most of his college career and hes being discussed based on potential and what he can do at the combine. Your talking about taking him at 9 that means your expectations will be Julio Jones and Aj Green level since they are a top 10 pick, but reality is he will be at best Mike Williams or Corey Davis who barely are getting by as #2 wr on their teams. At 40 if Butler, Harry, Harmon are there take one if not go with another position as the WR group currently is fine to win games as it suits Allens pass style which is the long ball. Zay Jones and beasley can chomp up the middle for those short passes. 

3 minutes ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

@soflbillsfan we don’t need an OBJ, Julio type but dare i say a Robert Woods would be a FANTASTIC fit for our offense.

i think they have that in Zay Jones. Keep in mind Robert Woods wasnt an automatic stud wr #2 right away. I think with Zay finally having a qb that hasnt been changing he will continue to build on the chemistry that him and Allen are building. Now if he doesnt show signs of that this year then you know for a fact a WR is a need next year if they dont land a wr this year early on. Im not against them drafting one at 40 im against metcalf at 9. My expectations are 2020 to be the contender as they will have hiccups along the way this year with the new offense gelling. At that time they can look at the better crop of RBs in the draft to grab one early.

Archived