Bears and Packers to open on Thursday Night Football

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, but the Pats have been, IIRC, traditionally slow-starters in seasons.  Not saying that they don't still pull off wins, but they typically take about a month into the season to round into the form that we've come to expect of them.  This might be an opportunity for the Browns hype train to get absolutely out of control to the point where it risks crashing into Clayton Ravine.

NBC will want either Kansas City or Cleveland. The only 2 realistic other options are Dallas and Pittsburgh.

https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-2019-opponents-determined

4 hours ago, Tex said:

This is dumb. I don't care if it's the 100th year or the 1000th year -- it's almost as if the previous year doesn't matter in sports anymore. It's supposed to be a passing of times from last year to this year and yet the champions are probably going to be the 3rd to last game played for week 1? 

I just find this stupid. 

Why? I don't understand why it's a big deal at all, to anyone, really. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Why? I don't understand why it's a big deal at all, to anyone, really. 

Because the team that won it all the previous year should have the first game. It's utterly stupid to change that now. They should have the distinct honor to opening the season up. If my team won it all, I'd want my team to be the first team to open it up and to raise the banner, etc. Two teams that haven't won jack **** get to open up a season? **** that.

4 hours ago, N4L said:

I read that its partly because the city of Foxborough has complained about the unnecessary traffic jams and logistic nightmares that come with Thursday night football. 

Do you honestly think the Pats had no say in this?

Iol That sounds so stupid. Especially when they'll have to play a TNF game at some point anyway. I don't really think they had a say in this for this very reason. Wouldn't you want your team who just won it all to be the team to open up a season with all eyes on them? SNF on the first sunday might be great but there's nothing like the first regular season game of the season when everyone is hyped up to watch football and it's the only game on that day. 

I hope if the Texans ever win it all that they don't have to get a backseat the following year to two irrelevant teams because of some 100th year "rivalry". Pathetic.

Edited by Tex

2 hours ago, Tex said:

Especially when they'll have to play a TNF game at some point anyway.

They can play a TNF game on the road and never have a home tnf game at home this year 

Also, who cares if your team plays the first game 'with everyone watching' when your team just won the only game that really matters 7 months prior? Seriously.

If my team wins the Superbowl at any point in my lifetime, I wont care if we have 16 untelevised road games played on Tuesday at 4am in a high school stadium 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

NBC will want either Kansas City or Cleveland. The only 2 realistic other options are Dallas and Pittsburgh.

https://www.patriots.com/news/patriots-2019-opponents-determined

Patriots/Cowboys. That's almost TOO easy, the dominant franchise from the 00s/10s vs the dominant franchise of the 90s that's coming back up to relevance. 

Either this or KC - the GOAT vs the Prodigy in Brady v Mahomes.

18 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Excellent, should mean no short weeks for our starters as I believe you only get 1 Thursday game. Packers and Bears fans have to be happy about that.

The teams that have the first tnf and therefore no short week, always get one later in the year. It's only fair that all teams have one short week. 

18 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Actually it just makes more sense to have the 2 oldest franchises kicking off year 100 for the NFL.

No, they aren't having the 2 oldest franchises in the league kicking this one off.   This is all for ratings.  The oldest franchise in the league is in Arizona.  The one in Wisconsin didn't join the league until its second season in 1921.  The league's first season was 1920.