Thursday Night Opener

Golfman

13 minutes ago, Norm said:

I don't think Chicago is going to fall off the edge of the Earth. Am I now a bad Packers fan?

tenor.gif?itemid=5245718

In all seriousness, I think the Bears are still going to be a very good team this year because of their talent on defense and a creative HC. We're going to have to have a very solid team ourselves if we want to take back the North. Doesn't mean we have to win in Chicago Week 1, but it would go a long way in helping our cause. 

51 minutes ago, Norm said:

I don't think Chicago is going to fall off the edge of the Earth. Am I now a bad Packers fan?

I don't see them winning 12 games this season.  I think that most of their fans don't see that, either.

But yah, 10 wins is about where I see them.  I wouldn't call that fall off the edge of the Earth.  Maybe just falling back to reality.

It'll be more telling in a year or two when they have darned few draft prospects to groom and replace older guys who do fall off of their production levels.    

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't see them winning 12 games this season.  I think that most of their fans don't see that, either.

But yah, 10 wins is about where I see them.  I wouldn't call that fall off the edge of the Earth.  Maybe just falling back to reality.

It'll be more telling in a year or two when they have darned few draft prospects to groom and replace older guys who do fall off of their production levels.    

Oh yeah I'm way more on 10 than anything else. I guess I got the impression from a few posts they were like a 500 team at best or something

28 minutes ago, Norm said:

Oh yeah I'm way more on 10 than anything else. I guess I got the impression from a few posts they were like a 500 team at best or something

Here's the case for under 10 wins.  There's now "film" on Nagy and that offense.  They lost a very good defensive coordinator.  Lost a very good starting safety.  Lost their slot corner.  Lost a good running back.  Replacements aren't as good as their "losses".

Here's the case for 10+ wins.  Progression of Trubisky.  Robinson now having a year in the offense and fully recovered from his knee.

But yah, I see 10.  And they are going to be a tougher 10 than the 12 last year.  Film alone will hurt them.  They need to evolve as an offense.  I don't watch a lot of Trubisky, but I'm skeptical if he can take another step forward.

And I'm sure I missed some up there.

Oh, and they are going to start 0-1.  Again.

24 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Here's the case for under 10 wins.  There's now "film" on Nagy and that offense.  They lost a very good defensive coordinator.  Lost a very good starting safety.  Lost their slot corner.  Lost a good running back.  Replacements aren't as good as their "losses".

Here's the case for 10+ wins.  Progression of Trubisky.  Robinson now having a year in the offense and fully recovered from his knee.

But yah, I see 10.  And they are going to be a tougher 10 than the 12 last year.  Film alone will hurt them.  They need to evolve as an offense.  I don't watch a lot of Trubisky, but I'm skeptical if he can take another step forward.

And I'm sure I missed some up there.

Oh, and they are going to start 0-1.  Again.

Oh hell yeah there's a good case. Maybe I'm just too cautious anymore because I started to realize the NFL is too often but near as predictable as it seems. 

The vast majority of games in the NFL are decided by a play or two. Those plays went the Bears way this year. My opinion is next year those plays go against them and once the momentum starts going south, very difficult to turn around.

Plus, they didn't get better from a talent standpoint so they got worse. Finally, factor in the inevitable which are injuries, they basically escaped on that front last year. Highly unlikely that happens again. 

20 hours ago, Kepler said:

Nope and they actually think we're all broke up about it.

As much as I think HHCD is worthless, in the thread about it they were pointing out "we're paying a former Pro Bowler $3 mil to be the 10th-best player on our defense; if he is anything resembling competent, it'll be worth it." 

So, in the sense of low risk/high reward, it isn't the WORST signing out there, especially since they're viewing him as a complementary component. Compare that to the expectations here for Amos - big $$, expected to stabilize the secondary and probably will be expected to be the 4th best player on D (Alexander, Clark, at least one of the Smiths, then Amos/Daniels/Martinez in competition for the 4th spot).

I mean, anyone turning cartwheels over it is a moron, but anyone going "sure, why not? He gets lots of ints and he's dirt cheap!" isn't totally off base.  

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

They're basically in a position where they have to 

1-4) Hope to hell that Trubisky pans out

5) nail darn near every draft pick

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

The vast majority of games in the NFL are decided by a play or two. Those plays went the Bears way this year. My opinion is next year those plays go against them and once the momentum starts going south, very difficult to turn around.

Eh, the stuff that Bill Barnwell uses for regression to the mean (expected win %, record in close games, FF/FR %) all come in indicating that the Bears weren't particularly outperforming or overly lucky (11.5 expected wins, 6-4 in 1 score games, recovered about 50% of all fumbles), so they weren't a fluke in that sense. 

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Eh, the stuff that Bill Barnwell uses for regression to the mean (expected win %, record in close games, FF/FR %) all come in indicating that the Bears weren't particularly outperforming or overly lucky (11.5 expected wins, 6-4 in 1 score games, recovered about 50% of all fumbles), so they weren't a fluke in that sense. 

Time will tell............. I'm sticking with my 6-10 prediction on the Bears. 

3 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

As much as I think HHCD is worthless, in the thread about it they were pointing out "we're paying a former Pro Bowler $3 mil to be the 10th-best player on our defense; if he is anything resembling competent, it'll be worth it." 

So, in the sense of low risk/high reward, it isn't the WORST signing out there, especially since they're viewing him as a complementary component. Compare that to the expectations here for Amos - big $$, expected to stabilize the secondary and probably will be expected to be the 4th best player on D (Alexander, Clark, at least one of the Smiths, then Amos/Daniels/Martinez in competition for the 4th spot).

I mean, anyone turning cartwheels over it is a moron, but anyone going "sure, why not? He gets lots of ints and he's dirt cheap!" isn't totally off base.  

No I meant in a thread in their sub some guy was talking about how we're winging our hands over here because we're so worried they picked him up.

13 hours ago, Golfman said:

The vast majority of games in the NFL are decided by a play or two. Those plays went the Bears way this year. 

Except for ......goalposts. Goalposts make up for all good bounces in Chicago. :)

That beat all bad bounces except the Seattle meltdown, which is the only game I will never forget in old age. I actually have fond memories of it now after five years of therapy.

But you're right. And Seems like there were more of those deciding plays last year esp in the playoffs.

Archived