Pete's 2019 GM Mock Drafts: Saved the Best for Last: Mock #3 is up!

EaglesPeteC

6 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

Not feeling a trade up for Wilkins...His lack of a ceiling tells me he maybe available at 25. The trade up 7 spots takes away from getting that safety. 

I legit don’t understand this “lack of ceiling” argument. I think at this point we have looked at the draft so long that we’ve just starting making up weird narratives. Wilkins won’t likely make it to 25. I think there is a chance he goes top 15. 

1 hour ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I legit don’t understand this “lack of ceiling” argument. I think at this point we have looked at the draft so long that we’ve just starting making up weird narratives. Wilkins won’t likely make it to 25. I think there is a chance he goes top 15. 

You are likely right he's an upgrade for a lot of teams in the top 15...lack of a ceiling means I don't see him improving besides getting stronger. Perhaps a marginal burst in terms of get off from working with prof. trainers. He isn't going to put up huge sack/pressure numbers at the next level.

If we didn't sign Jackson I'd be all over the idea...we'd have a huge need to put someone next to Cox. Again the Eagles window is now. Wilkins will be 24 this Dec he's entering his prime years (24-28).  With Jackson in the fold I don't feel we need do we need to move up for him when we could grab Tillery/Simmons at 25, their length gives them an edge over Wilkins IMO.  

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

It really comes into play when trading up for him. If we are at #25 it’s not quite as big of a deal. It’s just I don’t see him being a transformative and super disruptive force compared to some of the other DTs. 

Like a more charismatic Mike Patterson.

which I’ll take a good solid pro any day at #25.

but when it comes to trade up I’d rather it be for a guy who could be a star on play alone. A guy like that next to Fletch is almost unheard of talent. Would have the chance to be all time great in this scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

GM MOCK 3!!!!!!!!!! And the final one of the season

Howie and Joe Douglas said in their press conference that versatility is the biggest trait that they are looking for in this draft. I took that to heart as I made my selections.

TRADE! picks 25 and 139 to the Chargers for picks 28 and 91

Analysis: 3 mocks and I failed to make a pick at 25 each time. The Chargers hopped up to grab Jerry Tillery as the run on DL in the first round was intense. Scooting back only 4 spots and moving up from the last pick of the 4th to the 3rd was very clutch

with the 28th pick the Philadelphia Eagles select............. Chauncey Gardner Johnson S Florida

8926791.jpg

Analysis: The Eagles desperately need both a 3rd safety and youth at the position. Chauncey Gardner Johnson is my S #1 and it was a dream to trade down, get that 3rd and still grab him. CGJ reminds me of the safety that Malcolm Jenkins turned into. He is a do it all versatile safety. He'll take over the 3rd safety role is Philly day 1, which is a huge position for them and then can transition to the starting FS in year 2 and then eventually take Malcolm Jenkins' role when he moves on. 

with the 53rd pick the Philadelphia Eagles select........... Charles Omenihu DL Texas

DwBAD2zUcAEZIrA.jpg

Analysis: The theme of this draft is versatility. Eagles need both depth and future at EDGE and DT, so no matter where you project Omenihu the Eagles can use him. Really I see him as a Michael Bennett type a long EDGE who can kick inside and rush from the middle. He will rotate in year 1 and will be a great running mate for Derek Barnett and hopefully Josh Sweat for years to come

With the 57th pick the Philadelphia Eagles select........... Deebo Samuel WR SC

usa_today_9690018.0.jpg

Analysis: The plan was to grab Yodny Cadjuste who was available with this pick to be the future LT behind Jason Peters but Deebo was too great a value. Nelson Agholor is on a 1 year deal and looks to be moving on and Deebo could step right in in the slot and also has more versatility than Nelson to play on the outside as well. Carson has a long term WR who he can grow with now.

With the 91st pick the Philadelphia Eagles select.............Darrell Henderson RB Memphis

maxresdefault.jpg

Analysis: Thrilled about that trade back even more because it netted me Henderson. Henderson's speed and pass catching ability is just perfect for Philly and is the ying to Jordan Howard's yang

TRADE! the Eagles send WR Nelson Agholor to the Ravens for pick 102

With the 102nd pick the Philadelphia Eagles select.............. Bobby Evans T Oklahoma

r960-2a7a3806f30a5e8c950eaaccbea87335.jp

Analysis: The drafting of Deebo made Nelly expendable. Getting a day 2 pick and being able to pick up Evans, who I think is a upgrade over Big V as a future LT is a great get for an expiring contract in Agholor. Evans could even scoot inside to Guard if they feel comfortable and cover for Brandon Brooks as he returns from his injury.

With the 127th pick the Philadelphia Eagles select...........Daylon Mack DT Texas A&M

gettyimages-489296390_r11450_1296x729_16

Analysis: The Eagles signed Malik Jackson but what he brings in pass rush, he lacks in run stopping. What Daylon Mack brings in run stopping, he lacks in pass rush.  Mack is a great compliment to Jackson here in the 4th. I see him filling that Beau Allen role in the D-line rotation

With the 163rd pick the Philadelphia Eagles select................................Bobby Okereke LB Stanford 

hqdefault.jpg

Analysis: The Eagles devalue LB but really lack talent. Okereke isn't the best tackler but excels in coverage and range which is what the Eagles value most in an LB. I think the Eagles are the right fit for Okereke to hit his ceiling as a player and in the 5th could be a massive steal.

With the 197th pick the Philadelphia Eagles select............. Hajalte Froholdt G/C Arkansas

DkbtpmwXgAEEYIT.jpg

Analysis: Froholdt fits the profile of what the Eagles like in interior offensive lineman. The Eagles lost a G/C swing lineman in Stefan Wisnewski and Froholdt is a strong developmental player who could fill that role instantly. I debated strongly between Froholdt, a WR and a QB with this last pick but went with the O-lineman in the end.

Glad you at least traded back given the situation, but would have preferred another trade back if you were gonna take CGJ

So where does Omenihu project in your eyes given you took another DT in the 4th?

Didn't read analysis. He has absurdly long arms. PE would be proud.

Edited by Danger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Danger said:

Glad you at least traded back given the situation, but would have preferred another trade back if you were gonna take CGJ

So where does Omenihu project in your eyes given you took another DT in the 4th?

Didn't read analysis. He has absurdly long arms. PE would be proud.

Actually the Chiefs GM was targeting CGJ with the next pick. I almost traded back again but the deal fell through. 

I like most of the moves in version 3...the thing about doing trade backs is validating the value and the need for a team to move up. Just because we know what the value is doesn't mean the Eagles could actually pull that off. 

My only dislike is Deebo Samuel. He seems like a version of Golden Tate. Probably less physical. He doesn't replace Agholor imo. Agholor ran a lot of routes stretching the field the past couple years. Samuel I think he could be great inside 15 yards. I can see him being a KR because of his build but not really excelling in the slot gaining separation by his route discipline. 

Edited by nlesthought

I hate the first half of this draft - so that likely means it will happen. I think CGJ and Omenihu are way overrated, you drafted a slot WR and then traded our slot WR for an OG. I don't mind Henderson but I think ther's probably better value out there.

Is there anywhere I can see how this board went down?

1 minute ago, Scalamania said:

I hate the first half of this draft - so that likely means it will happen. I think CGJ and Omenihu are way overrated, you drafted a slot WR and then traded our slot WR for an OG. I don't mind Henderson but I think ther's probably better value out there.

Is there anywhere I can see how this board went down?

11 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I'm not going to be super negative about this because it takes a lot of work to do one of these but why wouldn't you just move up for Dillard or Ford? Seems like they fell a bit and would both be trade up targets if they got to Tenn/Pitt. 

5 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

I'm not going to be super negative about this because it takes a lot of work to do one of these but why wouldn't you just move up for Dillard or Ford? Seems like they fell a bit and would both be trade up targets if they got to Tenn/Pitt. 

1) I traded up last mock, so I wanted to do something different 

2) I'm ok drafting Ford or Dillard if they are there but not big enough on them to give up extra assets for them especially since they are likely to not be immediate contributors. 

2 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

2) I'm ok drafting Ford or Dillard if they are there but not big enough on them to give up extra assets for them especially since they are likely to not be immediate contributors. 

They very well could be...Ford could probably start over Seumalo at OG. With Peters always banged up, Dillard being the best pass pro LT prospect I could totally seeing him outplay Vaitai 

That's fair

You're talking about a minimal asset to move up 5 spots and get one of the top tier OL in the draft. I also think Ford could plug in right away at OG.