Player Rankings + RAS

deathstar

8 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

How does Montez Sweat rate so low on this list?    He absolutely crushed the combine tests.  he has been rated top 10 player on just about every published list across the net.

If I am understanding what you are trying to measure it seems he would be toward the top of the board.   Athletically he tested better than Bosa, and he is taller, while being only a little lighter.   Seems he would be toward the top of the chart.

Mind you,  I am not advocating we pick Sweat, just want to understand what we are looking at.

It has to do with the big boards I used to rank players. First step I'm going to do is add more of those and post an updated ranking.

Wren blew this up. He's my pick at 30. Think he's a Pettine pick. Better imo than Oliver or very close. 2inches less on the broad jump at +30lbs and almost as many reps as Oliver with longer arms. Might be stronger. I like him on tape, just raw.

Oliver has the hype, but Wren has the better character imo. Interesting to see where he goes. I have none of the concerns that I have with Oliver 

I updated the OP:

4QIlQs0.jpg

UPDATE: I've included all players and merely highlighted ones that I believe are off our board. Above are the first 53 but I have a list of around ~300 now. I've included 3 big boards, CBS, drafttek, and nflbigboard.com. If anyone has more big boards that are in tables please send me the links so I can include them in the average.

Current Issues: improve legibility, would like to have position ranks as well as overall ranks.

1 hour ago, deathstar said:

I updated the OP:

4QIlQs0.jpg

UPDATE: I've included all players and merely highlighted ones that I believe are off our board. Above are the first 53 but I have a list of around ~300 now. I've included 3 big boards, CBS, drafttek, and nflbigboard.com. If anyone has more big boards that are in tables please send me the links so I can include them in the average.

Current Issues: improve legibility, would like to have position ranks as well as overall ranks.

RBs I wouldn't take off. The 40 time is body type dependent. Lacey was my favorite back of the last ten years (too bad about his foot) and he had bad numbers but his tape didn't lie. He was special and brought toughness and fear to correct Mac's finesse offense

But the others I would take off days 1-2

Posted in the draft discussion thread, but also applicable here:

Some context on Ed Oliver's athleticism. Using the EDGE formulas (which I know he's not an EDGE, but a 6'2'' 280 lbs guy is close to an EDGE body), he is insane.

Mass: 97th percentile
Power: 98th percentile
Speed 40: 94th percentile
Agility: 91st percentile
Speed 10: 93rd percentile
Twitch: 83rd percentile

Using the RAS database, his workouts for IDL rate as:
40: 99th
10-split: 99th
Bench: 88th
Broad: 99th
Vert: 99th
Shuttle: 99th
3C: 98th

RAS at IDL: 9.83
RAS at DE: 9.72
RAS at LB: 9.46

Ed Oliver isn't human. He is a football machine.

24 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Posted in the draft discussion thread, but also applicable here:

Some context on Ed Oliver's athleticism. Using the EDGE formulas (which I know he's not an EDGE, but a 6'2'' 280 lbs guy is close to an EDGE body), he is insane.

Mass: 97th percentile
Power: 98th percentile
Speed 40: 94th percentile
Agility: 91st percentile
Speed 10: 93rd percentile
Twitch: 83rd percentile

Using the RAS database, his workouts for IDL rate as:
40: 99th
10-split: 99th
Bench: 88th
Broad: 99th
Vert: 99th
Shuttle: 99th
3C: 98th

RAS at IDL: 9.83
RAS at DE: 9.72
RAS at LB: 9.46

Ed Oliver isn't human. He is a football machine.

I would be curious to see this run with him as a LB. I expect it would still be in the 80+%.

1 minute ago, deathstar said:

I would be curious to see this run with him as a LB. I expect it would still be in the 80+%.

Ask and ye shall receive

According to RAS database, Oliver's testing as a LB

40: 59th percentile
10-split: 72nd
Bench: 98th
Vertical: 82nd
Broad: 79th
Shuttle: 82nd
3C: 60th

Total RAS: 9.46

All while being in the 70th percentile for height, and the 100th percentile for weight.

He isn't human.

3 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Ask and ye shall receive

All while being in the 70th percentile for height, and the 100th percentile for weight.

He isn't human.

He's definitely a chess piece. Pettine would love him.

37 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

Ask and ye shall receive

He isn't human.

1. Oliver is a very impressive athlete. Not at all disputing that.

2. The fact that RAS doesn't have a positional distinction for EDGE is baffling considering it's an analytics attempt. 

Oliver is a great athlete compared to ILBs, but is he really testing that much better than say Nick Perry? 

Edge and ILB are two entirely different breeds of athlete.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. Oliver is a very impressive athlete. Not at all disputing that.

2. The fact that RAS doesn't have a positional distinction for EDGE is baffling considering it's an analytics attempt. 

Oliver is a great athlete compared to ILBs, but is he really testing that much better than say Nick Perry? 

Edge and ILB are two entirely different breeds of athlete.

It utilizes DE for that, which I laid out his DE RAS: 9.72

What makes laying out a purely EDGE piece is it is obnoxiously time consuming to do so. The NFL uses DE/DT/LB distinctions in so much of its labeling that in order to just do EDGE guys you have to start getting a bit subjective about who you include where. Which, when you're trying to maintain a massive database, isn't really possible.

Also, yes, he is stunningly better than Nick Perry. Just using the EDGE formulas:

Oliver:
Mass: 96th
Power: 98th
Speed 40: 94th
Agility: 90th
Speed 10: 93rd
Twitch: 82nd

Perry:
Mass: 82nd
Power: 98th
Speed 40: 98th
Agility: 62nd
Speed 10: 98th
Twitch: 3rd

We should talk about Ed Oliver's athleticism like we talk about JJ Watt's. It is unbelievable and elite across any front-7 position.

2 minutes ago, rcon14 said:

It utilizes DE for that, which I laid out his DE RAS: 9.72

What makes laying out a purely EDGE piece is it is obnoxiously time consuming to do so. The NFL uses DE/DT/LB distinctions in so much of its labeling that in order to just do EDGE guys you have to start getting a bit subjective about who you include where. Which, when you're trying to maintain a massive database, isn't really possible.

The NFL using DE/DT/LB distinctions is similarly stupid. 

4-3 DE AND 3-4 OLB are a lot closer than 4-3 DE AND 3-4 DE

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

The NFL using DE/DT/LB distinctions is similarly stupid. 

4-3 DE AND 3-4 OLB are a lot closer than 4-3 DE AND 3-4 DE

100%. Draft boards are doing a job of treating 3-4 DE as IDL and 3-4 OLB as DE/EDGE but NFL sites and a lot of the official number tables don't.

Archived