Nagy Open To Daniels and Whitehair Switching Positions

soulman

Chicago Bears: Cody Whitehair and James Daniels switching positions?

Are Cody Whitehair and James Daniels going to be changing positions this season?

Three years ago, Hroniss Grasu went down with an ACL injury during the summer and suddenly, the Chicago Bears were in need of a center.

That’s when a rookie named Cody Whitehair stepped up, learned the position for the first time in his career and started all 16 games at center, earning all-rookie honors.

Whitehair has been the Bears’ starting center for the past three seasons, but prior to 2018, Ryan Pace drafted James Daniels out of Iowa, whose natural position is center.

Many speculated out of the gate that Daniels would be taking over at center and Whitehair would move back over to guard but as preseason and training camp got underway, it was clear that Whitehair would remain at center and Daniels would remain at guard.

Daniels eventually moved into the starting lineup and as the season progress, both players remained at those positions and there was no talk about them switching.

Until now.

#Bears coach Matt Nagy says team is open to switching Cody Whitehair and James Daniels on the line.

The switch makes plenty of sense but why now? Keep in mind Daniels came into the league at 20 years of age. There is a lot on the shoulders of the center in terms of pre-snap reads and checks/calls at the line of scrimmage.

The Bears may not have been comfortable putting that weight on Daniels’ shoulders, especially in a complicated offense like Matt Nagy’s.

With a year under his belt, perhaps the Bears feel the time is right. If Whitehair, in theory, is better at guard and Daniels would perform better at center, than it makes plenty of sense.

The only issue is that of Cody Whitehair’s extension. There has been plenty of talk this offseason about getting Whitehair extended who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. Guards, on average, make about $2 million more per season than centers.

It would complicate the extension talks if the Bears are in the process of moving Whitehair to guard, however, it is possible that the Bears and Whitehair’s agent have already hammered out the framework, they are just waiting to announce the extension until later in the summer after the Bears know exactly how much cap space they have available.

Regardless, this is an interesting piece of news that has come out about the Bears’ upcoming season and one that will be fun to keep an eye on during training camp.

Giant eye roll.

I, and others, said Whitehair was better guard and Daniels better center.  They should have just did it from day one.  Whitehair and Long could have helped with line calls from guard spots.  

If you do it now it is going to be a set back in short term when every game counts, but probably better in long run.  Just really pisses me off that they waited.  

Those are reps you are never getting back.  Spring hasn't even started.  It can be done.  Do it now or don't.  But don't waffle. 

44 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Giant eye roll.

I, and others, said Whitehair was better guard and Daniels better center.  They should have just did it from day one.  Whitehair and Long could have helped with line calls from guard spots.  

If you do it now it is going to be a set back in short term when every game counts, but probably better in long run.  Just really pisses me off that they waited.  

Those are reps you are never getting back.  Spring hasn't even started.  It can be done.  Do it now or don't.  But don't waffle. 

So...youre saying you didn't like the idea of moving Long to RT just one week before facing Julius Peppers either???

Yeesh... hard to please...

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Giant eye roll.

This is the appropriate reaction.  Daniels is probably an all pro at center.  Whitehair was a probowl center this year.  I guess I would try it out in OTAs and make the decision quick.  If it doesnt look like it's working early on, flip em back immediately.  But if you pull this trigger you have to stick with it.  Somewhat complicating the issue is the fact that Cody is 10's bff on the team.  Typically your center and QB do have that special relationship, but Daniels and 10 are from the same part of Ohio and played against each other from the time they were kids into HS.  I want to say they were even on a couple all star teams together.  So that is certainly a relationship that could be cultivated.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

hes-right-you-know-32644779.png

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

At this point I would keep them in the same spots for another year then draft a centre and move Whitehair to RG to replace Long...Daniels looked too good at LG to move him at this point 

Why not just keep Whitehair at LG then? Just draft a guy for RG?

7 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

This is the appropriate reaction.  Daniels is probably an all pro at center.  Whitehair was a probowl center this year.  I guess I would try it out in OTAs and make the decision quick.  If it doesnt look like it's working early on, flip em back immediately.  But if you pull this trigger you have to stick with it.  Somewhat complicating the issue is the fact that Cody is 10's bff on the team.  Typically your center and QB do have that special relationship, but Daniels and 10 are from the same part of Ohio and played against each other from the time they were kids into HS.  I want to say they were even on a couple all star teams together.  So that is certainly a relationship that could be cultivated.  

These are my thoughts on it as well but it's a nice problem to have isn't it?  Two young Pro Bowl level interior OL and a third if we can count on the greybeard member Long returning to form.

Depending upon the opinions of HH and Mitch I'd give it a shot early on to see if there's any benefit to making the swap.  This early in Daniels career there may or may not be a noticeable difference and if HH doesn't project Daniels as being better over time then it's kind of up to Mitch.  I'm thinking both are high level OL but Mitch may have a preference so honor that and position them accordingly but yes, do it and stick to it.

As far as his contract extension goes I don't believe his position will make one iota of difference.  I think we're looking at a deal that will be in the $9 mil AAV range give or a take a mil no matter where he plays because he's capable of being a Pro Bowler at either spot.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

At this point I would keep them in the same spots for another year then draft a centre and move Whitehair to RG to replace Long...Daniels looked too good at LG to move him at this point 

That's another option but which is easier to find and draft, and All Pro OC or an All Pro OG?

But I like your thinking that we may already have Long's replacement now in Whitehair.

We may also have a possible OC prospect who spent 2018 on the PS, Dejon Allen.  Like Cody he was also an undersized LT in college who should probably move inside in the pros.  So that's another possibility for down the road.

4 hours ago, soulman said:

That's another option but which is easier to find and draft, and All Pro OC or an All Pro OG?

But I like your thinking that we may already have Long's replacement now in Whitehair.

We may also have a possible OC prospect who spent 2018 on the PS, Dejon Allen.  Like Cody he was also an undersized LT in college who should probably move inside in the pros.  So that's another possibility for down the road.

Another fear or concern I have regarding this move is that Daniels may have a harder time playing the gap under center when facing other 3-4 nose tackles. The NT generally is heavier than traditional DT's and sits right on the center's nose. Do we really need to experiment with that? With RRH he has played OLB a little bit in college and we already have a DLineman ready to take over in Nichols.

4 hours ago, malagabears said:

Another fear or concern I have regarding this move is that Daniels may have a harder time playing the gap under center when facing other 3-4 nose tackles. The NT generally is heavier than traditional DT's and sits right on the center's nose. Do we really need to experiment with that? With RRH he has played OLB a little bit in college and we already have a DLineman ready to take over in Nichols.

Good point.  Here's his draft profile and some comments from his scouting report so some of what concerns you is covered here.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/james-daniels?id=32462018-0002-5600-48e1-4044bbc76ad1

The Bears have him listed at 295lbs while his Combine wight was 306lbs so initially by playing him as an OG they may have wanted him playing lighter and faster.  But remember this kid was only 21 years old when the 2018 season began so in all likelihood he hasn't topped out physically.  At 6'4" he could pretty easily carry the same 310lbs Whitehair is listed at.

My greater concern is this;

We have OL who excel in a zone blocking scheme so why was Nagy so quick to try and change that earlier in 2018?  It obviously had a negative impact on our run game.  If he plans to go to a power gap scheme full time in 2019 I'd like to know why but for that maybe someone whose actually played OL professionally like Windy should explain or or someone like dll2000 who coaches.  I don't have the knowledge to understand why.

I think as long as we stick with a zone scheme Daniels and Whitehair are more than likely interchangeable at OC and OG so it's more like you have a 1A and a 1B where both can handle either position physically.  FWIW Whitehair weighed just 301lbs at the Combine but his arm length is also 1 3/8" less than Daniels so physically both are close to a carbon copy of each other and IMHO both are better fits for a zone blocking scheme.

Overview

Daniels is a fluid mover with tremendous initial quickness to win positioning on most every zone block he's asked to make -- both on the first and second levels. His height, weight and arm length numbers at the Combine will be critical in either solidifying his draft slot or potentially dropping him a round. Some teams might see him as a zone-only center, but he may be strong enough to fit in with other blocking schemes. He needs to get stronger, but he's a plus run blocker and pass protector with a chance to become a Pro Bowl starter. (Combine Measurable; 6'3 3/8", 306lbs, 33 3/4 arm length)

Sources Tell Us

"The Iowa guys are always going to be quick and proficient, but you have to see them tested against power because they are usually going to be a little smaller, too. This guy has decent size and I think he's got pretty good functional power. He would come in and challenge for best center in our division right away." -- NFC team college scouting director

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Could be an option but historically it's easier to find good centres than guards...Whitehair can really do it all.

My bad. I misread the first post, I think I mixes yours with another person's. I thought you meant to put Whitehair at LG this year, then move him from LG to RG when Long is out and to draft a new LG. I was wondering why to move from one guard to the other.

Archived