Set for a Boone-tiful Life or sent to the Boonies?

swede700

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Is 

Hill-Easton-Efelin-Berger-Reiff

Our best?

I am not sold on Easton at LG but it is worth a try. Someone has to play guard after all and at least we have seen Easton do it in the preseason. Remmers in to guard could be an option as well. Too last to make that much change. Too late even to make the proposed change even without the move of Remmers inside.

13 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Spielman has been historically inept in finding talent at QB and OL.   :|

So have lots of GMs.  I'm also not sure how to justify that he's "historically" inept.  

He may not be great at evaluating the offensive line talent, but I think most can understand since the college game does absolutely no development of offensive linemen, outside of a handful of schools.  But, I'm not sure if the issue with lack of ability to evaluate them, or just the fact that he hasn't really invested in it up to this point...as I believe PCP was always making the case.  A lot of that may have been just the value where they were selecting just wasn't there, but it also may have been poor evaluation...but either way, he's certainly not the only GM in the NFL that struggles with it.  There are probably less than 5 teams in the NFL that get really good offensive line play.  The rest are mediocre to average.  And I believe that's more a product of the college spread game than it has to do with Spielman necessarily being inept.  

Now, with the QB position, that has also been a position of weakness for him, as he hasn't invested in it, outside of using high picks on them in Ponder and Bridgewater.  Otherwise, the late round picks haven't been used on the position, as it's generally gone to other positions/special teams players.  The only late round picks that have been used on QBs in his time here were Joe Webb, J.D. Booty, and Tyler Thigpen.  He probably should use a late round pick on a QB every other year or so, just to continually have options in case some don't work, but my guess is he probably feels like those picks are really valuable and doesn't want to spend it on a player that may never have a real shot to ever start.  

Archived