Owners vote to challenge all pass interference calls

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

Last 2 minutes are booth reviews. As are all scoring and turnovers. They'll need a ref to look at more than half those plays given how frequently there is debatable PI

Yes, and those potential PI's which are not very flagrant will be just dismissed, or worse, not even noticed by the refs above. But people will have the opportunity to watch those plays a million times after the game is ended, and conspiracy theories about each of those plays will multiple like wildfire..

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He has the critical thinking skills of an amoeba. When's the last time he saw a Hail Mary other than the end of halves when coaches can't challenge? It will be the booth and unless you are telling them to just ignore it then they need to buzz to review. And if told to ignore it imagine the outcry. 

I think the real issue here is signaling out "pass interference" as more worthy of being fixed on review than other infractions.  If the rule were just "you get 2 challenges, all things which can conceivably be overturned are reviewable" that would be vastly preferable.

1 hour ago, BearFromArgentina said:

Yes, and those potential PI's which are not very flagrant will be just dismissed, or worse, not even noticed by the refs above. But people will have the opportunity to watch those plays a million times after the game is ended, and conspiracy theories about each of those plays will multiple like wildfire..

Any smart coach will emphasize to his WRs to be dramatic and throw their hands up after any contested incomplete pass within 2 minutes. Add in the crowds reaction when something doesn't go their way, I see the final two minutes of close games being brutally and unnecessarily slow.

I understand the need to provide a level playing field, but there is a lot that needs to be done before this could be done right. 

The first would be to clear what is PI and what isn't. We all know different crews see it in very different ways. 

Then get crews calling PI and holding in the correct situations, as this will make a big impact on the reviewable part. 

It seems to me the NFL is doing things in the wrong order, and with such a large gap for ambiguity, it will leve everyone unhappy. 

The NFL is going to die a slow, brutal death by self-inflicted wounds. This is a terrible idea. The game is played with human error. In order to get all of these calls 'right' the games will be over 4 hours long. 

They are starting to lose me. 

Why can't the NFL say "We're going to try it in the 2019 pre-season and see how it goes. If it works, we'll make it a permanent change in 2020." 

That seems like a much better option then implementing a new rule that can have a major influence on a game and taking a few weeks to fine tune it like that horrid roughing the passer crap.

I guess I'll reserve judgement until we see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Any smart coach will emphasize to his WRs to be dramatic and throw their hands up after any contested incomplete pass within 2 minutes. Add in the crowds reaction when something doesn't go their way, I see the final two minutes of close games being brutally and unnecessarily slow.

And thus it will become more like soccer, which is not good at all. There are many instances in which a booth review on a judgment call may end seriously wrong. The short experience in Soccer with this system has been appalling. I'm from Argentina. My favorite soccer team last year was playing a decisive international match against a Brazilian team in Brazil. My team was being eliminated, and was awarded a penalty kick during a extremely critical time, as a result of a booth review that came from nowhere . Although the infraction did indeed occurred, it was so subtle that no one in the field actually saw it, let alone complained about (not even players of the team receiving the infraction). Thus, when the penalty kick was (rightfully) awarded, the situation caused serious turmoil on the crowd, because it seemed as "cherry picking" by the part of the refs doing the video review upstairs. People were mad that the refs above "saw" that very subtle infraction, yet overlooked/dismissed more flagrant ones earlier on the game.

4 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

This is my problem with it. It's going to slow down the game with unnecessary reviews

In March madness right now at the end of games refs are reviewing the clock everytime the ball goes out of bounds. Everytime. The reviews take forever. They want to 'get it right' but sacrifice the flow of the game. 

Just get full time officials already

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

This will be bad if that's the example being used. 

This will be a trainwreck if that's the example they are using. Holy **** this is going to be a nightmare

Archived