With OPI, DPI and non-calls reviewable, is it good for football?

William Lee

The NFL owners voted on Tuesday evening to approve a rule proposal that allows for offensive and defensive pass interference, including non-calls, to be subject to review.

Coaches can challenge those calls in the first 28 minutes of each half. In the final two minutes of each half, those calls will be subject to a booth review.

This rule change is only for the 2019 season.

Coaches will still have only two challenge flags.

14 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

advertisers are going to love it. Games gonna take 4 hours.

If a coach only has 2 challenges, how is it going to make the game an hour longer than usual?

Pass interference can be almost as game changing as a turnover. Yet you all seem fine with reviewing those.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

If a coach only has 2 challenges, how is it going to make the game an hour longer than usual?

More potential plays for each coach to use their challenge on. I'm guessing there's an average of like 1.35 challenges per game right now. That will go up to 3.275 challenges per game. 

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

More potential plays for each coach to use their challenge on. I'm guessing there's an average of like 1.35 challenges per game right now. That will go up to 3.275 challenges per game. 

I will wait and see the concrete stats next year. Coaches are cautious with their flags. 

I believe that coaches should get as many challenge flags as they want. 

If they challenge a call or non-call and it proves they are correct, the ruling on the field changes in their favour. 

If they challenge a call or non-call and it proves they are incorrect, they should have a tooth extracted before play is allowed to carry on. Once they have lost all their teeth, the officials are entitled to move on to other body parts, i.e. fingers, toes.... 

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Pass interference can be almost as game changing as a turnover. Yet you all seem fine with reviewing those.

Booth reviews make this available to them as well. Also it's unfortunate that this is the only one there are other missed or bad calls that affect the game than pass interference. But with the slippery slope that these things take it'll eventually encompass everything. 

I just want the right call made on the field. There is no reason for a bad or missed PI call to influence a game as much as they do in today's day and age. The Saints showed twice during the season how missed or bad PI calls can affect things tremendously. The called PI in the Pittsburgh/NO game when clearly Alvin Kamara was not only not interfered with but the ball was uncatchable. With a proper review, it's possible that Pittsburgh may have not fallen behind as much as they did and the game could have swung their way. A win for them in that game means a playoff berth. And on the other side, the LA/NO no PI call towards the end of the game. That no call likely cost NO a Super Bowl berth. I'm not for calls to just go my way, I want the right calls on the field. I think this is a step in the right direction.

6 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Will pass interference need to be better defined? Most corners interfere or close to it each play.

Some guys make their living on subtle pass interference. 

I have a feeling Eli Apple on the Saints is gonna be the victim of this a lot.

Archived