Steelers trade for TE Vance McDonald

Livewire

Very nice, Patriot like move. The money is a little surprising but that's really all they paid to get a tight end that came out of college as more as blocker and is able to move the sticks, deceptively at times. He should be an upgrade over James in both areas and a nice compliment. I think they are a little discouraged with the injuries JuJu has had figuring that he would be possible big factor on inside game. 

That move is a little surprising to me. Especially giving up a #4 to get him. However, it also shows that the team does not have complete confidence in the current corps of TE's.  This will take a roster spot from WR or RB I presume. This could be a roster spot/difference maker for Justin Hunter or Terrell "Nightmare" Watson. That means six instead of seven WR's and three instead of four RB's excluding Nix at FB.

AB, Bryant, Eli

Ju Ju, Coates, and probably DHB (or Hunter)

LeVeon, Connor, and Niles based on KOR ability

7 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

That move is a little surprising to me. Especially giving up a #4 to get him. However, it also shows that the team does not have complete confidence in the current corps of TE's.  This will take a roster spot from WR or RB I presume. This could be a roster spot/difference maker for Justin Hunter or Terrell "Nightmare" Watson. That means six instead of seven WR's and three instead of four RB's excluding Nix at FB.

AB, Bryant, Eli

Ju Ju, Coates, and probably DHB (or Hunter)

LeVeon, Connor, and Niles based on KOR ability

Or they cut one of the other TE's. It's not like any of ours were any good.

Not sure that they would MOSteelers56.  I didn't include that because they haven't given up on Jessie James, even though he has had an inconsistent camp. Grimble is young and has some upside stretching the field down the middle and in the red zone. They continue to bring DJ back year after year because he is a decent blocker and can play some special teams. I would be surprised if DJ got cut, not shocked! :D

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Or they cut one of the other TE's. It's not like any of ours were any good.

I just don't like the salary cap investment. There's some interesting names that have been floated in terms of DB's. And that's the area this team needs an upgrade. When you factor in salaries, Jessie James and Grimble would give you what McDonald will. At least as I'd see it. I wonder if this isn't more about James screwing up his assignment on the opening drive against the Colts, and then dropping the pass on the other (after getting hammered). Frankly, James is probably the more consistent and reliable football player already heading into his third year with his hands and the injury histories factored in.

I see no downside to this really.  McDonald is decent, and as already pointed out, it's essentially getting a player to contribute this year, while moving back 10 spots or so in the upcoming draft.  Maybe 20 if the 9ers are much improved as I anticipate and the Steelers underachieve.  More options immediately are never a bad thing.

Archived