1 hour ago, braylon said:

29 - Shaun Alexander

Agree.

27 - Brian Westbrook

Heavily disagree.

25 - Clinton Portis

Meh....it's close, but I'd give Gore the edge.

25 - Ronnie Brown

Not even close.

28 - Edgerrin James

Disagree. I love Edgerrin James, but Gore was a much better pure runner at this point in Edge's career.

27 - Jamal Lewis

Agree.

And the next year Peterson and Marshawn Lynch entered the league. Two players who are undoubtedly "better" IMO.

Peterson for sure is better. Marshawn Lynch was not better in his first few seasons. Not at all.

You're severely underrating Frank Gore in his prime years. The dude was a freaking superstar. You're listing players that were in their twilight years and/or were heavily hyped big names, but not nearly as productive or good.

On 3/26/2019 at 11:33 PM, El ramster said:

Steven Jackson >>> Frank Gore

False. 

Gore is the far superior runner and is better at pass blocking. The difference between them as pass catchers is less than the difference between them as runners. 

7 minutes ago, N4L said:

False. 

Gore is the far superior runner and is better at pass blocking. The difference between them as pass catchers is less than the difference between them as runners. 

runner? There wasn't a more violent runner than Sjax. Then we should compare the talents both guys played with and you'll see why the gap is much bigger than it shows. 

On 3/26/2019 at 10:02 PM, Malik said:

Going by the reactions of the Gronk v Gonzalez conversations a decent amount of people here value longevity over peak. I'm curious how far that extends. So we have Frank Gore who has been good the majority of his career with only 1 really stellar season in 2006. Outside of a Marcus Allen and Emmitt Smith runningbacks never go 15 seasons like Frank Gore is about to do. He's 485 yards away from being 3rd all time in rushing yards

Anyway I'm curious about how many, if any or all, RBs that pretty much only had 3~5 seasons under the belt do you consider better than Frank Gore despite him having a significantly longer career and being very talented in his own right.

• Priest Holmes
  • Arian Foster
  • Jamaal Charles
  • Shaun Alexander
  • Tiki Barber
  • Ray Rice
  • Maurice Jones-Drew

etc.

Holmes: Pure product of his offensive line/blocking scheme. Did nothing at an impressive level. Not a top 100 all-time RB. Gore > Holmes.

Foster: Zone blocking product. More talented than Holmes, but Gore > Foster.

Charles: Speed back, but I would give him the slight edge over post-06 Gore. 

Alexander: Product of his offensive line. Stiff as a mannequin, soft as a sponge. One of the most annoying RBs ever. Gore > Alexander.

Tiki Barber: Despite receiving really good blocking, his power is undeniable. Once he fixed the fumbles, he was elite. Coughlin's Barber > Gore. 

Ray Rice: Pretty close, but Rice was falling off before the off field stuff. Gore > Rice.

Jones-Drew: Incredible power. I found him ugly to watch, but Jones-Drew > Gore.

Knock on Gore is that he had a tendency to run right up his o-line's backs.  He was never the same back after 06. 

As for how many backs who played a few years who were better than Gore...

Agree with the people who said Steven Jackson > Gore.

Garrison Hearst > Gore.

Billy Sims > Gore.

Curt Warner > Gore.

Cardinals version O.J. Anderson > Gore.

Marshawn Lynch > Gore.

Earl Campbell > Gore. 

I could go on and on. Gore wasn't special after 2006. He was just solid for a long time. I rate him ahead of Curtis Martin. And I rate literally every RB to ever play pro football ahead of Franco Harris, but that's another topic. 

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

runner? There wasn't a more violent runner than Sjax. Then we should compare the talents both guys played with and you'll see why the gap is much bigger than it shows. 

you know that more violent doesn't equal "better runner", right? 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

you know that more violent doesn't equal "better runner", right? 

It generally does. If a RB isn't breaking tackles/making people miss, he's not a good NFL RB. Doesn't matter if he gains 2,000 yards per year. Gaining yards when everybody is blocked is not impressive. Every back who makes it to the NFL can do that. Even some NFL coaches (see Hue Jackson) admit that. 

9 hours ago, El ramster said:

Since when does being 'more violent' = better?

Gore has the better feet, better vision, and better balance. He is a more natural and more gifted runner than steven jackson was. Period. 

Not saying jackson was terrible, just that Gore is going to be in the HOF and jackson is basically already forgotten about outside of rams fans.

... and lol at the 'expert' I just hit that ignore feature, and boy did that feel good lol 

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Since when does being 'more violent' = better?

Gore has the better feet, better vision, and better balance. He is a more natural and more gifted runner than steven jackson was. Period. 

Not saying jackson was terrible, just that Gore is going to be in the HOF and jackson is basically already forgotten about outside of rams fans.

... and lol at the 'expert' I just hit that ignore feature, and boy did that feel good lol 

Seems you ignore football as well, since this post is absolutely ridiculous.

"Better feet." Meaning WHAT, exactly? Gore was never a make-you-miss guy. I saw way more of Gore than you, yet here you are, pretending you know more than me about a back you have barely even watched. 

"Better vision." When fans talk about a RB's "vision," it's translation for, "I don't know why this guy is putting up numbers because he doesn't do anything impressive, so I'll pretend that a back has to "see" stuff, as opposed to following blockers and hitting a designed hole." Moreover, Gore was - as I said - a guy who ran right up his offensive linemen's backs, which is the opposite of what you guys think of as "vision." He was really ugly to watch. 

"Better balance." Gore didn't break nearly as many tackles as Jackson, so no, he did not have "better balance."

Jackson was a way more gifted runner than Gore. Gore was a hot prospect before blowing out his knees at Miami. But after the knee injuries, his stock dropped to where he was taken in the 3rd round. Jackson was a 1st round prospect. He was the more gifted RB.

Gore was mostly a compiler at RB. 

On 3/28/2019 at 5:28 PM, El ramster said:

There wasn't a more violent runner than Sjax.

He most certainly wasn't a pansee, but this is a ridiculous statement and you know it. Do I really need to make a list of more violent runners than SJax or can you just admit you got excited and blurted out something stupid?

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

He most certainly wasn't a pansee, but this is a ridiculous statement and you know it. Do I really need to make a list of more violent runners than SJax or can you just admit you got excited and blurted out something stupid?

His era guy. His era. Dude literally broke Chad Browns chest against Seattle. Sick. 

Archived