What happened to Ed Oliver?

JaguarCrazy2832

I feel like this time last year he was widely considered the best defensive player in this class and maybe a 1b to Bosa if not 1a but there appear to be several DL and defensive players expected to go ahead of him. Was it the injuries? Regression from 2017? Other players just emerging at the right time? I know stuff like this happens with players but he was someone that seemed so highly touted as a cant-miss top-3 pick since the end of his 2016 season

I know he is still projected to go Top-10 or 15. Just curious why that is

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like this time last year he was widely considered the best defensive player in this class and maybe a 1b to Bosa if not 1a but there appear to be several DL and defensive players expected to go ahead of him. Was it the injuries? Regression from 2017? Other players just emerging at the right time? I know stuff like this happens with players but he was someone that seemed so highly touted as a cant-miss top-3 pick since the end of his 2016 season

Prospect exhaustion for most of the Internet. A lot of these guys that have credible NFL sources are thinking the only players going in front of Oliver are Bosa, Williams, and maybe Allen (cause edge is more important than interior DL, but pressure is pressure amiright?). 

1 minute ago, BleedTheClock said:

I still have Oliver as the #1 prospect in the draft. But yeah, it seems like a lot of people have abandoned that ship.

You still got me manning the sails BtC. In December I was thinking no way he was gonna fall out the top10  like Donald did. But it’s starting to look like it. I think he’s going to be dominate and wouldn’t mind the Giants’ passing Haskins for another guy like him.  

28 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Oliver is of course a great player but I think he's been victim to a few things:

Other players rising such as Quinnen Williams, Kyler Murray who have probably overtaken him in the media rankings and have generated more draft buzz. It also doesn't help that Williams plays the same position more or less and had a stellar year.

Nagging injuries this year - more from a production perspective than any kind of injury red flag, I think a lot of people (me included) expected more statistical production from him given he was seen as an uber talent playing at a lower level. He still looks great on film but I think many were expecting more sacks and TFLs  and though we shouldn't box score scout of course it does affect peoples perceptions.

Versatility - whilst Williams is seen as quite scheme versatile I think Oliver is viewed as strictly limited to 3T in a 4-3 where he has to play with a bigger guy alongside (for right or wrong) and as such the media thinks Williams fits to more teams and Oliver is not a great fit at some teams such as the Jets maybe. 

I'm gonna be honest, entering the season he seemed like the best DT since Suh.

I can't say where I stand on him vs the other DLineman projected in the top 10, I haven't watched enough of them play aside from Josh Allen. 

Yeah I've had the same thought for awhile now regarding Ed Oliver "dropping" in rankings. I think a lot of it is prospect exhaustion, but I'd be surprised if his hype levels don't jump right back up soon after his pro day. He is still my top prospect in the draft, and if he does slide for some reason, several teams are going to regret passing on him.

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Versatility - whilst Williams is seen as quite scheme versatile I think Oliver is viewed as strictly limited to 3T in a 4-3 where he has to play with a bigger guy alongside (for right or wrong) and as such the media thinks Williams fits to more teams and Oliver is not a great fit at some teams such as the Jets maybe. 

Disagree,

A) He has the requisite strength upper and definitely lower body to play 1 tech, and the explosion/quickness to play 5 tech

B) The guys had 53 career TFLs playing "out of position"

C) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what you see as a something not being a good fit, another could see as a potential match-up nightmare.

12 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:
2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Disagree,

A) He has the requisite strength upper and definitely lower body to play 1 tech, and the explosion/quickness to play 5 tech

B) The guys had 53 career TFLs playing "out of position"

C) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, what you see as a something not being a good fit, another could see as a potential match-up nightmare.

I think you misunderstand, I'm not saying that is what my thoughts are just some possible reasons why he has potentially 'dropped'. From our Raider forum in particular, most posters see him as a pure penetrating 3T only and that he will be playing the same position as Hurst who looked promising last year. There is a debate over whether the two can coexist for example. I really like Oliver and thought he may be able on some downs to play some 4-3 end in our system and could be moved around but that may not be the general perception.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I still have Oliver as the #1 prospect in the draft. But yeah, it seems like a lot of people have abandoned that ship.

This kinda happened with Aaron Donald from what I remember. A lot of people were suggesting he is a rare interior disruptor and the best player in the draft.  

Bit different in Donald’s case since he shot up the draft boards his junior year/pre draft process and we didn’t already have the precedent of a similar player dominating the NFL like we do with Oliver.

34 minutes ago, KellChippy said:

This kinda happened with Aaron Donald from what I remember. A lot of people were suggesting he is a rare interior disruptor and the best player in the draft.  

I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember anyone souring on Donald. He seemed like a late riser more than anything. I was early on Donald because for some reason I've watched almost every Pitt game in the last 5-6 years, but he was not projected to be who he is right now. He was never universally as lauded as Oliver was.

17 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think so. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember anyone souring on Donald. He seemed like a late riser more than anything. I was early on Donald because for some reason I've watched almost every Pitt game in the last 5-6 years, but he was not projected to be who he is right now. He was never universally as lauded as Oliver was.

Yeah, Donald wasn't considered a first round pick when he tore up the Senior Bowl (at least in media circles). It wasn't until the Combine that the media actually considered him a legitimate top 15 lock. Also, going to toot my own horn because I projected Donald to be who he is right now. :P :D

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

Yeah, Donald wasn't considered a first round pick when he tore up the Senior Bowl (at least in media circles). It wasn't until the Combine that the media actually considered him a legitimate top 15 lock. Also, going to toot my own horn because I projected Donald to be who he is right now. :P :D

Same. Wanna make out?

Archived