What happened to Ed Oliver?

JaguarCrazy2832

17 hours ago, BayRaider said:

This is a really bad take. FILM will ALWAYS be the most important scouting tool. I’ll take a guy with great film and great production over a guy who’s an athletic freak, bad tape, and poor production. An athlete doesn’t make you a football player. 

Measurables and Athletcism matter, but film/production are the most evident of success. It shows you them... playing football....

What about an athletic guy with great film minus the production isn't there compared to a productive guy who doesn't show great film?

I mean, the big thing is that you understand what

• his old team wanted him to do.
  • his new team would want him to do.
  • what he can do well.
  • what he struggles with. 

LSU had Danielle Hunter read and react off the snap at the line of scrimmage, but he posts absurd workout numbers and that athleticism does show up on tape (just not in the box score).  He goes to Minnesota where they ask him to just get upfield and in the backfield and he's a star.

From Houston we can be confident Oliver is not a great nose tackle (but since when do those guys rack up stats?)  If you want a nose tackle, you probably have him pretty low.  But the thing is?  Oliver's absurd lateral mobility and elite first step absolutely do show up on film; they just don't show up in the box score.  But Wilkins tape shows he's the kind of guy who isn't real comfortable inside against a double team, but he's not really the athlete that lets him beat quality tackles on the edge; he's more of a classic 4-technique guy.  If you want that, great.  But it's not really a premium position.

But base defense is nickel defense now and everybody keeps a 3-tech on the field...

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, the big thing is that you understand what

• his old team wanted him to do.
  • his new team would want him to do.
  • what he can do well.
  • what he struggles with. 

LSU had Danielle Hunter read and react off the snap at the line of scrimmage, but he posts absurd workout numbers and that athleticism does show up on tape (just not in the box score).  He goes to Minnesota where they ask him to just get upfield and in the backfield and he's a star.

From Houston we can be confident Oliver is not a great nose tackle (but since when do those guys rack up stats?)  If you want a nose tackle, you probably have him pretty low.  But the thing is?  Oliver's absurd lateral mobility and elite first step absolutely do show up on film; they just don't show up in the box score.  But Wilkins tape shows he's the kind of guy who isn't real comfortable inside against a double team, but he's not really the athlete that lets him beat quality tackles on the edge; he's more of a classic 4-technique guy.  If you want that, great.  But it's not really a premium position.

But base defense is nickel defense now and everybody keeps a 3-tech on the field...

Good post

On 3/27/2019 at 7:16 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I feel like this time last year he was widely considered the best defensive player in this class and maybe a 1b to Bosa if not 1a but there appear to be several DL and defensive players expected to go ahead of him. Was it the injuries? Regression from 2017? Other players just emerging at the right time? I know stuff like this happens with players but he was someone that seemed so highly touted as a cant-miss top-3 pick since the end of his 2016 season

I know he is still projected to go Top-10 or 15. Just curious why that is

2 words...Mark Donofrio

On 3/29/2019 at 8:59 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

I'll take those guys, you can have Jarvis Jones, Curtis Enis, Peter Warrick, Levi Brown, Chance Warmack, Rashan Salaam, Derrick Harvey, and more "good college QBs who flopped" than anyone cares to read.

I mean, those are bad examples.  Vernon Gholston (22.5 sacks in 26 games) and JaMarcus Russell were great college players.  Guys fail in the NFL for lots of reasons, but the only thing that really matters from what you did in college is "projectable traits."

Generally, projectable traits lead to production. It's why guys landing in the first round without production is more the exception than the norm.

3 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Clearly this just means that Jerry Tillery is a far better prospect than Ed Oliver😋

well I wouldn't go that far but Tillery is pretty underrated imo. If the Pats get him at 32 I would be over the moon.

Archived