The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

2 hours ago, true2form said:

That's the entire point!!!!!!!!  We don't know.  None of us can say.  You can guess he'll continue to suck.  I can guess he'll at least be better than he is.

WE do know. He's shown us his ceiling. He's got arguably the best Oline in football. A soon to be pro bowl TE and RB and still plays soft, conservative, sporadic and inconsistent.

2 hours ago, true2form said:

The point remains.  You improve the team and just like the Texans and Chiefs that you mentioned, you pull the trigger to get that QB to put you over the top. Tua is the only guy who "might" be available and "might" become that player. I don't think so, but he has a chance.

Some act like if I say I want Carr to be the starter to begin next year, that that's somehow a lifetime contract.  Unless something I can't predict happens, Carr will be our starter week 1 next year.  Whether we add a FA or draft pick is up to Gruden and Mayock.

This is the way it is. Until something changes, this is my last word on it.

Can't argue this. Carr is most likely the QB going into Vegas and they will be rewarded with another lackluster team behind him.

Personally, I'd trade him before I'd pay him another $20 million he's due coming of a so-so season. This was a make or break year for Carr, everyone said it... he broke, he's not the guy so cut ties before paying him another $20 million. 

You can get Derek Carrs production for a tenth of the price and build a better overall team with the savings. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Don’t forget The Great Brandon Parker. Dudes will skew stats and make every excuse for the defense just to turn all the blame on DC and the offense. 

The defense is a hot mess. It was coming into the season and injuries/suspension have completely what little they could do off track. Nobody is disputing that. 

Carr (like it or not) is being paid 20 million this season to lead the offense and he's just not getting it done. Up and down, but the same problems exist with him. 

We can get Fitzpatrick for 40% the price of Derek Carr and draft a QB in the 1st Round. 

Fitz has been carrying that Miami offense and leading one of the least talented rosters in NFL History to some wins. He’s not the long term answer but you’ll probably get similar production from Fitz as Carr for 40% of the price. 

18 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

We can get Fitzpatrick for 40% the price of Derek Carr and draft a QB in the 1st Round. 

Fitz has been carrying that Miami offense and leading one of the least talented rosters in NFL History to some wins. He’s not the long term answer but you’ll probably get similar production from Fitz as Carr for 40% of the price. 

This is my problem. Ok, Say we need a QB, but I’m not getting rid of Carr for no damn Ryan Fitzpatrick or Tom Brady. Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota? Really? 

Carr is a product of his environment type. If it’s a mess around him, he’s gonna be messy. If it’s good around him, and he trusts his protection and targets, he has proven he can look top 10ish. My point has always been, if there is no viable options to replace Or upgrade upon him, then why not continue to build around him? His contract is getting real affordable. I’m just not trying to make a move just to make a move. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Geezy said:

This is my problem. Ok, Say we need a QB, but I’m not getting rid of Carr for no damn Ryan Fitzpatrick or Tom Brady. Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota? Really? 

Carr is a product of his environment type. If it’s a mess around him, he’s gonna be messy. If it’s good around him, and he trusts his protection and targets, he has proven he can look top 10ish. My point has always been, if there is no viable options to replace Or upgrade upon him, then why not continue to build around him? His contract is getting real affordable. I’m just not trying to make a move just to make a move. 

We are only signing a vet for a year. The vet doesn’t exactly have to be better than Carr. Even a slight drop off is fine. There is just no reason to pay Carr 20+ M if we draft a QB in the first couple rounds. 

5 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Because he's due 20 mil next season and that is entirely too much to pay for a so-so QB. Just because it affordable in relation to other recent QB contracts, doesn't mean you can't get the same same results for half the price.

• Like 1

The cost of doing business for a QB is expensive. I don’t like any FA options, maybe Mariota as a back-up/competition to Carr. Much like Tannehill was for Mariota. 

The best way to find a Franchise QB, is through the draft. We currently sit at picks 13 and 17 in the 1st Round. We’re missing out on the Big 3, Burrow, Tua and Herbert, unless we trade up. To get one of these guys your gonna have to get into the top 5-6. What are y’all willing to give up to grab one of these guys? 

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Because he's due 20 mil next season and that is entirely too much to pay for a so-so QB. Just because it affordable in relation to other recent QB contracts, doesn't mean you can't get the same same results for half the price.

Who are we getting for $10mil that will match Carrs talent/production?

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

We are only signing a vet for a year. The vet doesn’t exactly have to be better than Carr. Even a slight drop off is fine. There is just no reason to pay Carr 20+ M if we draft a QB in the first couple rounds. 

Ok, so who are we taking with one of our picks to sit while we sign a stop gap? 

5 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Ok, so who are we taking with one of our picks to sit while we sign a stop gap? 

This will have to come draft time. The only two I like are Burrow and Tua. So the organization will have to decide to either trade up or ride Carr another year. They may be able package both 1sts and a 3rd to get into the Top 3-4 for Tua. Then trade Carr for a 2nd and you basically still have a full draft. 

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

This will have to come draft time. The only two I like are Burrow and Tua. So the organization will have to decide to either trade up or ride Carr another year. They may be able package both 1sts and a 3rd to get into the Top 3-4 for Tua. Then trade Carr for a 2nd and you basically still have a full draft. 

I don't understand how you can basically call Carr is trash but value him with a 2nd round pick at the same time? How does that work?