The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

So I’m hearing that a big reason to let Carr go is his 20 mil price tag. Okay let’s say the Raiders cut him and bring in a guy for 15 mil or so. With the savings, who do you want to bring in that their 90 mil can’t bring in?

To be honest I’ve never cared about how much guys are making because salary cap goes up every year. Not to mention contracts become outdated and underpriced a year or two into the contract. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Can we even beat the Cardinals? It's not just one game Pitt has played backups all year due to injuries and only had 1 game in which they have scored less than 17 points . We have

scored less than 17 points 6 times this season and after coming home this was supposed to be the easy part of our schedule, we got blew out by the Jets for Christ sake.

I get that the Steelers are exceeding expectations with 3rd stringers, but you do realize they aren't winning games because of them? They are winning games, against the lowest competition, with defense and special teams. It's also not like we haven't been dealing with injuries all season too.  The Steelers have been hit hard on offense, but I think their defense is intact. Where as we have been hit all over at varying times, if not the whole season for some.

They are 8-2 in their last 10 games which is amazing, until you look at who they've played. Bengals and Browns twice(3-1), Ravens(L), Chargers, Dolphins, Colts, Rams, and Cards.

I give them credit for keeping games close and pulling them out, but that's because of the defense. 48 sacks, +12 turnover ratio, 1 return and 3 defensive scores. While the offense is bottom quarter of the league in all major stats ppg, ypg, rush ypg, and pass ypg. 

As for us, we dropped the ball in New York. The Jets game was a total failure for the team, but like you say, just one game. However, no one should've been picking us to beat KC or the Titans.  Hopeful and wishful, sure. The easy part starts now with 3 games against losing teams.  Doesn't mean we will win them.

I also think guys are forgetting how tough of a schedule we've played and how much travel they've had. We knew going into the season how difficult it was going to be and how it has to have worn down our players.

https://eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/schedule/strength-of-schedule.html 

Edited by true2form

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

So blame it on the defense doesn't work. And there is literal film of WRs being open... what else can it be?

what defensive metric are they rating D on? I have a feeling its on yards, and who the hell cares about yards honestly?

Seahawks 3rd in Takeawyas, KC and GB tied for 6th in takeaways 
Chargers are 2nd last in takeaways, we are tied for 3rd last, and jets rams and bears are middle of pack.

Turnovers are what win football games. 
Turnover differential - Packers and Seahawks tied for third. and Kc in 5th. 
and at the bottom of turnover differential it is chargers, us, rams and jets.

• Like 1

another point, i will bring up, is that Carr has been pretty effective moving the ball. Yes he doesnt take enough shots, but he moves the chains pretty well. 
Our biggest problem on O, is that we just cant over come any penalties it seems.
(Is that on Carr - absolutely 100%, so please dont think Im saying its not on him.)

We always stall after a holding call, and rarely convert after a false start. 
When our O doesnt commit penalties, we can compete. 

This team has to become way more disciplined, because over coming penalties is tough on any QB, and if we plan on starting a rookie next year, if you put them in 2nd and long or 3rd and long, you can expect them to struggle here as well. The D knows exactly what you are going to do in these situations. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, true2form said:

I also think guys are forgetting how tough of a schedule we've played and how much travel they've had. We knew going into the season how difficult it was going to be and how it has to have worn down our players.

https://eatdrinkandsleepfootball.com/schedule/strength-of-schedule.html 

That's definitely a factor to consider. Another one is the "rookie wall". We're relying on so many rookies as starters or major contributors that a little drop in performance from them can have a huge impact on our team. It's probably not a coincidence they're all going down to injury lately. I feared that would happen weeks ago and unfortunately it is.

55 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

More proof that QB is the most important position on the field and vital to on field success.

Okay and which teams are actually favored to win a Super Bowl? None of those listed except maybe The Seahawks. 

The Niners Ravens Saints and Patriots all have superior records and are superior teams. All of them have defenses that compliment the offense. 

Heres another thing, the Cowboys have the best offense in the NFL and they have the same record as the raiders. So having a great offense doesn’t translate to super bowl championships. 

Now understand that Carr is a problem but he isn’t the problem. A lack of talent both on the field and in terms of coaching have held this team back and is the biggest problem going forward. 

3 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

Sidebar with all this talk about DC we have totally forgotten about all things Clelin Ferrell

I havent. But I dont like being called a hater or being told you jumping the gun. He has touched the qb 3 games this year. But hey it is what it is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

what defensive metric are they rating D on? I have a feeling its on yards, and who the hell cares about yards honestly?

Seahawks 3rd in Takeawyas, KC and GB tied for 6th in takeaways 
Chargers are 2nd last in takeaways, we are tied for 3rd last, and jets rams and bears are middle of pack.

Turnovers are what win football games. 
Turnover differential - Packers and Seahawks tied for third. and Kc in 5th. 
and at the bottom of turnover differential it is chargers, us, rams and jets.

So if you apply this to the Raiders 2016 season, we can deduce it was a fluke and the QB was overrated based on the w/l record?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

So if you apply this to the Raiders 2016 season, we can deduce it was a fluke and the QB was overrated based on the w/l record?

Yes. Definitely that season was a fluke. 
Mack was on a tear that year, and seemed to be getting a sack fumble every close game. It was unlikely that Mack would be able to replicate a season like that.

carr was over rated by some based on the w/l for sure, but even tht season we saw the same Carr as we do now. 

Our O consistently stalled that year, didn’t do much until late in the game. Our D was able to keep us hanging around and then Carr pulled out magic at the end of games.

but in first half’s our O looked pathetic a number of times. Go back and rewatch, our O had some good numbers, but there were a number of 3 and outs and stretch’s where we would do nothing on O.

the difference was that season we had Mack. A dominate defender who could literally change a game on his own. 

that 16 season our team was similar to the Seahawks of today (kind of).. their O doesn’t do much at the start, but if their D can keep them in a game, they have confident that Russel will figure it out at the end.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yes. Definitely that season was a fluke. 
Mack was on a tear that year, and seemed to be getting a sack fumble every close game. It was unlikely that Mack would be able to replicate a season like that.

carr was over rated by some based on the w/l for sure, but even tht season we saw the same Carr as we do now. 

Our O consistently stalled that year, didn’t do much until late in the game. Our D was able to keep us hanging around and then Carr pulled out magic at the end of games.

but in first half’s our O looked pathetic a number of times. Go back and rewatch, our O had some good numbers, but there were a number of 3 and outs and stretch’s where we would do nothing on O.

the difference was that season we had Mack. A dominate defender who could literally change a game on his own. 

that 16 season our team was similar to the Seahawks of today (kind of).. their O doesn’t do much at the start, but if their D can keep them in a game, they have confident that Russel will figure it out at the end.

We had a really good offense (26 PPG) and a defense that had 16 interceptions and 14 FR.  I think we won the turnover margin by like 16 that season.  Turnovers played a huge part in why we won so many games.  We need a defense that can create turnovers (something we can't do to save our lives) consistently.  Our rushing attack I believe was #6 in the league too.  We had a pretty good team overall.  Not the best defense, but a defense that forced a lot of turnovers.