Jump to content
Jerry

The Official Derek Carr Thread

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

We had a really good offense (26 PPG) and a defense that had 16 interceptions and 14 FR.  I think we won the turnover margin by like 16 that season.  Turnovers played a huge part in why we won so many games.  We need a defense that can create turnovers (something we can't do to save our lives) consistently.  Our rushing attack I believe was #6 in the league too.  We had a pretty good team overall.  Not the best defense, but a defense that forced a lot of turnovers.

Yea I just looked it up, we were 9th in PPG at 25.3. 
we scored points, but my point is that our O that season was not consistent. When Derek Carr got hot he would string together 2-3 scoring drives and look absolutely incredible.

when he was cold there were a lot of stretches our O did nothing.
 

for example in that saints game week 1, we scored 3 points in the 2nd and 3rd quarter. We were down 11 going into the 4th and our O went off for 22 points. 
this season if we are down 11 the game is essentially over with our D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jerry said:

We need a defense that can create turnovers (something we can't do to save our lives) consistently.

There's no such thing from season to season. In 2017, we had the same scheme, the same DC and the same players and couldn't force a turnover. Takeaways went from 30 to 14. Same thing is happening to Chicago this season, they had 36 last year and 16 now. It's the most random stat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chali21 said:

Okay and which teams are actually favored to win a Super Bowl? None of those listed except maybe The Seahawks. 

The Niners Ravens Saints and Patriots all have superior records and are superior teams. All of them have defenses that compliment the offense. 

Heres another thing, the Cowboys have the best offense in the NFL and they have the same record as the raiders. So having a great offense doesn’t translate to super bowl championships. 

Now understand that Carr is a problem but he isn’t the problem. A lack of talent both on the field and in terms of coaching have held this team back and is the biggest problem going forward. 

The argument is not about the defense we know the defense is bad and needs to be improved, but it's also time for people to realize Carr doesn't have it, we should not get destroyed game in and game out and be as bad as we are on offense. Carr is bad the defense is bad both can be true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

WE DONT GET TURNOVERS PERIOD! our defense sucks. NAME A WORST WR UNIT....I'll even taker the Dolphins wideouts

The Dolphins wideouts wouldn't look good with Carr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

The Dolphins wideouts wouldn't look good with Carr.

Agreed. Fitzpatrick let’s receivers make plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, true2form said:

 

I also think guys are forgetting how tough of a schedule we've played and how much travel they've had. We knew going into the season how difficult it was going to be and how it has to have worn down our players.

Especially ROOKIES...How many do we have?!? Playing their arses off IMO and Crosby still making noise. Ferrell getting better as well as Mullen. Renfrow was too before injury. Abram injured early, Ingold as much of a stud at his position as Jacobs is. Love the youth and direction just need to keep adding pieces to the puzzle and if DC isn't the final piece, then OK but no need to replace now...Build and create a 'team' that competes for the trophy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

WE DONT GET TURNOVERS PERIOD! our defense sucks. NAME A WORST WR UNIT....I'll even taker the Dolphins wideouts

NAME A QB IN THE LEAGUE WHO IS MORE SCARED OF PRESSURE!! NAME A QB WHO HAS LESS AVERAGE YARDS PER ATTEMPT IN THE LAST 5 YEARS!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

WE DONT GET TURNOVERS PERIOD! our defense sucks. NAME A WORST WR UNIT....I'll even taker the Dolphins wideouts

Didn’t the defense just get a t/o last game to set up the offense for a td?

now the offense are not only turning it over but actually scoring points for the other team 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, raidr4life said:

The argument is not about the defense we know the defense is bad and needs to be improved, but it's also time for people to realize Carr doesn't have it, we should not get destroyed game in and game out and be as bad as we are on offense. Carr is bad the defense is bad both can be true. 

I wouldn’t say Carr is bad. Glennon is bad. Ryan Lindley is bad. Nathan Peterman is bad. Eli Manning is bad. These are guys that are complete liabilities on your team. Carr isn’t a liability to me, he’s certainly not a weapon. 

Now the larger point i was making is that yes you can get to playoffs with an “elite” QB/Offense but if you lack a defense to go with it you aren’t going to win a super bowl. That’s the goal, not playoffs but a super bowl trophy. This is why Brady has 6 rings and why HOF guys like Wilson, Brees and Rodgers all only have one. This team absolutely lacks the talent to win a Super Bowl or even reach playoffs. 

I see very little point in cutting Carr only to sign a guy for 4-6 mill less than him. It’s a lateral move at best that has minimal savings. This team would still be in the same place from a QB standpoint. Cutting Carr and relying on a rookie would almost be worse due to Gruden’s overly complex scheme. Plus passing on better prospects in the draft to reach on a QB is never a good idea and where the Raiders will be picking odds are that they’ll be out of reach for either Burrow or Tua. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

I wouldn’t say Carr is bad. Glennon is bad. Ryan Lindley is bad. Nathan Peterman is bad. Eli Manning is bad. These are guys that are complete liabilities on your team. Carr isn’t a liability to me, he’s certainly not a weapon. 

Now the larger point i was making is that yes you can get to playoffs with an “elite” QB/Offense but if you lack a defense to go with it you aren’t going to win a super bowl. That’s the goal, not playoffs but a super bowl trophy. This is why Brady has 6 rings and why HOF guys like Wilson, Brees and Rodgers all only have one. This team absolutely lacks the talent to win a Super Bowl or even reach playoffs. 

I see very little point in cutting Carr only to sign a guy for 4-6 mill less than him. It’s a lateral move at best that has minimal savings. This team would still be in the same place from a QB standpoint. Cutting Carr and relying on a rookie would almost be worse due to Gruden’s overly complex scheme. Plus passing on better prospects in the draft to reach on a QB is never a good idea and where the Raiders will be picking odds are that they’ll be out of reach for either Burrow or Tua. 

All this bro! Don’t know why this concept is so hard to grasp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

There's no such thing from season to season. In 2017, we had the same scheme, the same DC and the same players and couldn't force a turnover. Takeaways went from 30 to 14. Same thing is happening to Chicago this season, they had 36 last year and 16 now. It's the most random stat.

Our offense went to crap for one.  Reggie Nelson and the 5 he created wasn't sustainable.  There are a lot of variables.  But saying turnovers aren't something teams can do consistently isn't true.  Maybe not every single year, but putting together a defense that can create turnovers year after year is possible.  The Saints, Chiefs, Patriots, and Seahawks have all won the turnover battle over the last three years.  It is possible to maintain it.  We just need the right personnel and the right scheme.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Our offense went to crap for one.  Reggie Nelson and the 5 he created wasn't sustainable.  There are a lot of variables.  But saying turnovers aren't something teams can do consistently isn't true.  Maybe not every single year, but putting together a defense that can create turnovers year after year is possible.  The Saints, Chiefs, Patriots, and Seahawks have all won the turnover battle over the last three years.  It is possible to maintain it.  We just need the right personnel and the right scheme.

Those teams you named also have good offenses that score a lot which puts more pressure on the other team to score and keep up which also leads to more t/o’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Those teams you named also have good offenses that score a lot which puts more pressure on the other team to score and keep up which also leads to more t/o’s. 

Yeah.  We need a better team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Yeah.  We need a better team.

Those teams also have great qb’s 🤐

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×