The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

2 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

HB you were hyping up Zay Jones is his thread now he’s a scrub ? 

For real lol

Zay Jones was worth a shot. Former 2nd rounder and wasn't being utilized in BUF. Now we know why, since he's not good afterall, but still. A 2021 5th isn't bad for a dart throw. I just hope we get it right this offseason with WRs though. We've spent a decent amount of draft capital on WRs for very little production in the last two years.

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The answer is yes, how do you even know if the WRs are running the correct patterns or know the whole playbook?

You do realize you’re taking the sides of WRs who’s own team didn’t want them over a pro bowl quarterback.

Use your eyes plenty of film out there stop defending this guy.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:50 PM, NCOUGHMAN said:

I wanna see kizer. Part of me thinks we owe it to carr to let him start the last game in Oakland. Other part of me thinks the way carr is playing lately that kizer might be a better option. 

I'm a bit late...

I think if the Raiders lose this last game in Oakland, then the playoff door is closed and Kizer will start the last two games. I have a weird feeling Gruden wants to see want he has.

Not a fan of either QB though.

On 12/12/2019 at 1:59 PM, big_palooka said:

Yet Armari Cooper posted career number IMMEDIATELY after joining Dallas last year. 

That's because AC isn't the #1 in Dallas...Because he's not 6'3 :P

We got a shot at some taller ones this draft...Should make Frankie happy.

The Carr story is pretty plain to see. Most of the time he is going up against a QB that is better, a defense that is better, or both. Obviously, and it is obvious, he is not a "win the game on his Herculean efforts QB". This, right now, is a Gruden/Carr issue. Something has to give regarding this team. To start: without a strong defense, not just an average one but a strong one, this team can't exist as a running first team. If we're run first, we have to stay on schedule, execute flawlessly, not give the ball away, and get stops on defense. That's the formula, and it's not working. Because the defense isn't good enough for that and the offense isn't good enough to take the weight off the run game and put up some easier points than one 8 minute drive after another.

Gruden has to reformaulate his idea of this being a running team. Fullbacks are cute, but you have to kill it in the passing game to keep up when you have a crap defense. He has to be elite as a playcaller beyond just putting out a running team, or the QB has to be elite. Once again we really have no identity. And when I say that it means it's not enough to say you do this or do that as a team and an identity. Yeah, we have a good Oline and a great runner, and that is what people call an identity. But it's not enough to win any games without extra good fortune occurring. It may be an identity but it's not a Super Bowl one. To be a playoff team and ultimately a Super Bowl team, you have to do something or multiple things at an elite level better than most or all of your opponents. That's a real identity. When one strength compliments another. We don't have another, and that includes Carr. The Oline is our best unit, and Jacobs our best player. Carr is just not markedly better than the opposing QB across from him on most given Sundays. He's not markedly worse most of the time, he's just rarely better. So when anything else goes wrong, with running, defense, turnovers, we're pretty much looking at a loss.

So either pick another QB looking for a Watson or Mahomes, or build a truly strong defense. Carr is not winning anything high level without a defense. That says everything you need to know about where he sits as a QB. Brad Johnson + a bit. But I bet he can keep the ball safe and not turn it over. Without a suffocating D it won't matter. He can't create points like Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Watson, Mahomes, etc.. 

And regarding building a great defense, no team in the history of football ever built a great D or O while totally ignoring a whole unit. So the LB corps has to radically change. Saying they don't value LBs is cute and nice and all, but no great defense is ever missing a whole unit. Absurd. 

• Like 1

The time with Carr has run its course. Even though he gave us hope and some awesome memories, he just isn’t the guy going forward. We have had more than enough time to see what he is. A conservative QB that doesn’t elevate the talent around him. That won’t cut it. He needs too much around him for him to be respectable. It’s clear as day. Time to move on ✌🏼 

• Like 2