The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

1 minute ago, Steins Gate said:

If I were a defensive coordinator, I would just defend the 10 yard box against Carr. Take away the run and force him to beat my defense deep (would still keep 1 safety over the top just in case though). 

Watch how KC plays him they take away his comfort zone and he can’t do ****

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gannon12 said:

And this was a win mind you because our defense came to play. Look at our losses both KC games pass charts.  I like rewatching the games and you see him literally Panics if that first read isn’t there or possible pressure and he will get erratic and completely miss wide open guys. Sometimes he holds on too long and he still can’t see that open receiver and runs into a sack or throws it away. When it was right freaking there. It’s so frustrating watching 19’ Carr after we had 16’ Carr. He plays soo scared and will not give his WRs a chance now. He plays bubble wrap football now it’s year 6 and he is not the guy to put this team on his back and make the players around him better. 

We on the same page I was a staunch Carr supporter, but I've been seeing this for awhile. When I found myself watching every other QB in the league and saying I wish Carr would do that I knew in my heart he is not the guy.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Gannon12 said:

It’s so frustrating watching 19’ Carr after we had 16’ Carr. He plays soo scared and will not give his WRs a chance now. He plays bubble wrap football now it’s year 6 and he is not the guy to put this team on his back and make the players around him better. 

I'm one of Carr's supporters and YES you are RIGHT about the above. 

So lets get the bigger picture of how this is created...

As a kid, Carr sees his brother David go #1 overall and get CRUSHED every season with sacks. After 5 years David is a shell of what potential he had. David seemed like a 'loner' on the sideline and didn't get along with his team mates. True or not, that is how it looked watching TV.

2014 Draft, Carr slips to the 2nd round because of teams worried about the name 'Carr' and the USC game where he got rattled. As a rookie he shows enough that the coaches go with the rookie over the vet Schaub and they fight through a great many losses. Seeing David's 'loner' mentality Carr makes a point to be social with teammates (Mack particularly) and never throws a teammate under the bus.

2015 The young leaders are improving and growing together as a TEAM. We're probably 2 years off from competing for playoffs.

2016 Del Rio makes more aggressive calls believing in the players and the  team surprises with being a season ahead of schedule. Carr is in MVP talk but got his leg broke and then watched his team get smoked with a rookie QB in the playoffs. Expectations are high and with good reason.

2017 Del Rio's aggressive calls don't workout. Team underachieves and Offense takes a step back. We looked great the first two games with hometown hero Marshan Lynch but we were a finesse Offense and got punched in the face by a tough Redskins team which showed teams how to beat us. ML was tough but we really were a finesse O. Carr breaks his back, fumbles away the Dallas game trying to score and.... (Injuries by this time are broken leg, thumb and back) Carr enters 2018 worrying about his health.

2018 A new coach with a HUGE contract and his best friend in the NFL sitting out trying to  get his cut. Then a shocker as his best friend is traded right before the home opener. I was at that game and we had the Rams the 1st half (Rams went to SB by the way) No halftime adjustments by OUR COACHES and we get killed in the 2nd half. We continue to lose and somehow get a win against the Browns we don't deserve and a theme all season is we tank in the 2nd half. Vets quit on the field and off. Irvin cut as he became cancerous after seeing how Mack was handled. We only start winning once GRUDEN changes his philosophy to playing younger players over the vets who are giving up knowing they won't be back. Basically we're a dumpster fire with piles of poo inside burning. 1st year coach has people doubting his return. (fans and NFL circles)

2019 Gruden now has Mayock at GM and focuses on players who 'won't give up' and will fight. Though EVERYBODY wonders why LB (4 on 53 and 3 QB's?!?) This shows Gruden's influence as wanting a backup Glennon but not lose (IR) Peterman. The hardest schedule and yet the team comes out with a winning record gives us fans hope we're good. (were not, just other teams really SUCK this season hence why 8-8 will make the playoffs) During the success, fans and NFL circles are praising Gruden for the turn around. Once we lose, especially with the team SUCKING in the 4th quarter. Fans have turned on the QB and want to throw him out for a 3rd?!? Gruden has 8 years so he's getting a pass, but OBVIOUSLY isn't up to NFL speed himself. 2018 2nd half meltdown, 2019 4th quarter meltdown. Lots of blame to go around with the end of the Oakland era. We're give Gruden patience because he has 8 more seasons and Carr is cheap for 3 more but with a 5 mil dead cap many are ready to move on because he's 'not the guy' but forgetting how hard it is to get 'the guy'

So does that rule out drafting a QB to one day replace Carr. No it doesn't. Burrow should be the #1 pick. If Tua slips he could easily be the pick because WE HAVE CARR. No team should draft Tua needing him to play ASAP which 'might' make him slip a bit. (Miami has Rosen so maybe there) The tall trees, Herbert isn't worth our 1st but probably won't fall to 3rd. Eason fits this also and do you get Drew Bledsoe's or McGuires?!?  If Fromm comes out he'd be there in the 3rd and is a lesser version of Carr. 3 years as a back up would mean Gruden could move on when Carr's contract is up with no dropoff from current production. (Carr might/probably improves but lets say he doesn't) Hurts is a leader but not the best QB.(Lamar might push him up for some team wanting similar results, but better be ready to adapt to the player not player adapt to the system) A 4th to sit and learn might be worth it if Love isn't available. Only use a 3rd or later on Love. Horrible season but probably because of all the changes from the season before but with 420 after declaring...Well legal or not it's not OK in the NFL 'at this time' so 3rd at the earliest. Ehlinger probably stays in school but for us it would be 3rd round so...Really unless a 'tree' falls to the 3rd it's either Love is the most realistic option or Tua. However Carr IS STILL the starter going into Vegas, but a rookie developing or healing is there in case Carr is moved on from at some other time. Tua would be our best outcome as it keeps Carr's value high so teams would have to offer better value to get him away from us.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Maybe Carr needs glasses and doesn't want to admit it maybe he cant see that far.

Coming out of college I always wondered if carr killed his arm with the high volume of passes iirc he was averaging 35+ attempts per game 

*edit*
sr year 659 passes in 13 games = 50+ passes per game 

48 minutes ago, G said:

Really unless a 'tree' falls to the 3rd it's either Love is the most realistic option or Tua. However Carr IS STILL the starter going into Vegas, but a rookie developing or healing is there in case Carr is moved on from at some other time. Tua would be our best outcome as it keeps Carr's value high so teams would have to offer better value to get him away from us.

If Mayock/Gruden draft Tua in the 1st round, Carr's value drops. Every team would know we are planning to replace him. The only way to keep his value high is to trade him with no obvious safety net (in which case Mayock/Gruden would look VERY stupid). Drafting a QB in the 3rd won't effect Carr's value much though. 

Then there is the emotional effect on Carr. If Tua is drafted, does Carr want to stay and play through it (Tua would need a redshirt year)? Or does he cry and force his way out (further lowering his value)? 

29 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

If Mayock/Gruden draft Tua in the 1st round, Carr's value drops. Every team would know we are planning to replace him. The only way to keep his value high is to trade him with no obvious safety net (in which case Mayock/Gruden would look VERY stupid). Drafting a QB in the 3rd won't effect Carr's value much though. 

Then there is the emotional effect on Carr. If Tua is drafted, does Carr want to stay and play through it (Tua would need a redshirt year)? Or does he cry and force his way out (further lowering his value)? 

Best thing to do is trade him and sign a vet during FA or trade. Then draft a QB. That's generally the protocol to replacing a QB.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Best thing to do is trade him and sign a vet during FA or trade. Then draft a QB. That's generally the protocol to replacing a QB.

I have said before that I'm not sure how Gruden feels about Carr. So anything can happen (including keeping him). We just have to wait and see. 

Edited by Steins Gate
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

I'm sitting Tua to make sure he's healthy. Carr plays well and wins games then value goes up if he sucks then value drops but he's not getting cut or traded to where he wants to go UNLESS he balls and drives up value. Rosen sucked and still netted Zona a 2nd. When people said they'd take a 3rd for Carr they are SERIOUSLY overvaluing a 3rd or SERIOUSLY undervaluing Carr. Probably a bit of both.

Edit: I think we keep Carr but draft a QB 3rd or lower. It's just Tua was #1 until injured so if he falls to 10 or lower I could see a move being made. Alex Smith/ Mahommes type move. A healthy Tua is a better college prospect coming out than Mahommes. But a healthy Tua is #1 overall most likely and we have no shot but #10...

Edited by G

That's why you draft Lamb (mini Hopkins), Jeudy (Gumby) or Ruggs (non troubled Hill) and have that quick pass go for 60yd TD on a broken tackle. Michael Thomas type would raise Carr's numbers. We know what Carr is and we know what Gruden's WCO is, so get the guys who fit the scheme. One of those 3 WR's would be a good start. A bigger WR in the 3rd who isn't fast but sure handed and gets 1 on 1 because of the guy drafted in the 1st. Mayock will listen to Gruden and do his best to get the pieces that best fit the puzzle.

Then as Carr gets comfortable and TRUSTS his WR's he can throw it deep. Renfrow looks like he's the only one Carr trusts and sometimes he drops it too but that's Carr's #1 go to guy if Waller is covered.

AB never here. Williams looked good but injuries must have affected his play as he was disappointing but suppose to be #2 not #1. 3rd and Renfrow some thought wouldn't make the 53. Grant, JJ Nelson, Atemen, Doss traded for Davis (cut) and Jones (best known for defying gravity getting off the ground) WOW I'm surprised we won a single game. Jacobs is a beast being teams didn't fear our WR's

PS I'll move this to Carr's 152 page monster. LOL