The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

10 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

http://www.footballs future.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=552362

This is a Derek Carr thread from the old forum. Thought it would be interesting to compare how posters felt about him then and how they feel about him now.

Nice. Reading through some of it and it seems like not much has changed. Still two sides of the fence, one group wanting more talent around him and one group wanting him gone.

12 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

http://www.footballs future.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=552362

This is a Derek Carr thread from the old forum. Thought it would be interesting to compare how posters felt about him then and how they feel about him now.

Damn...

trip down memory lane...

S/O the old heads that have fallen off of late...

Darkness
RaisinBran
Chali21
CrapTakula
S&B Bleeder
dante
attack
Chris Lance
TiberiusRising
BlackPrestige92
EricAllen21
Totty
Big Rob
raiderrocker18
Reprobate
91jmay
QB_Guru
holyghost
reddevil
Bone_Collector
DirtyHarry
The Mad Stork
SPaceGhost
bitty
Frankie2Gunz

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Damn...

trip down memory lane...

Darkness
RaisinBran
Chali21
CrapTakula
S&B Bleeder
dante
attack
Chris Lance
TiberiusRising
BlackPrestige92
EricAllen21
Totty
Big Rob
raiderrocker18
Reprobate
91jmay
QB_Guru
holyghost
reddevil
Bone_Collector
DirtyHarry
The Mad Stork
SPaceGhost
bitty
Frankie2Gunz

Yea I came back to the forums after a long hiatus. I was a big supporter of Jamarcus unfortunately in college

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Damn...

trip down memory lane...

Darkness
RaisinBran
Chali21
CrapTakula
S&B Bleeder
dante
attack
Chris Lance
TiberiusRising
BlackPrestige92
EricAllen21
Totty
Big Rob
raiderrocker18
Reprobate
91jmay
QB_Guru
holyghost
reddevil
Bone_Collector
DirtyHarry
The Mad Stork
SPaceGhost
bitty
Frankie2Gunz

Well a lot of those guys are still here and posting. Chali, totty, and reddevil to name a few.

2 minutes ago, true2form said:

Well a lot of those guys are still here and posting. Chali, totty, and reddevil to name a few.

I know some of those names are still posting here and there. Just shouting out those I remember from back in the day that I don't see often anymore. I'm sure I missed or messed up on some.

7 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

I know some of those names are still posting here and there. Just shouting out those I remember from back in the day that I don't see often anymore. I'm sure I missed or messed up on some.

Just pointing it out. Those guys post often.

So, I'm one of those guys that believes Carr has the potential to be a consistent top 10 QB in this league. I believe we should ride with him and see what he can do in this system with some talent around him. With that in mind what have we done for Derek Carr so far and what could we potentially do:

Wide Receiver 
Added an All Pro talent who is a hard worker, great route runner and should have 2 or 3 more great years left. We've also added a large body WR in Williams (who I think is ok but not great) and a deep threat in JJ Nelson who is one dimensional. I'd like to see us add another guy in the draft and preferably quite high. I like N'Keal Harry or Deebo Samuel if we get them at the top of the 2nd best but McLaurin could be a good addition a little later in the draft. I feel we should definitely add at least 1 WR in the draft with a high to mid round pick as I'm not sold on Williams and Nelson and Roberts is who he is.

Running Back
There is no incumbent starter as of now. I firmly believe to get the best out of Carr we need a solid running game and would like to see us add a guy here. Trouble is there doesn't seem to be that many good options available in FA, maybe Crowell or CJ Andreson but I don't feel they'll elevate the game and it's questionable how much Lynch and Martin have left in the tank. Despite his 40 time I really like Holyfield in the draft and I'd look to add a guy like him to dovetail with Richard and a guy like Martin. I'm not holding out hope for Warren though he should be given an opportunity of course. There's no sure fire elite RB in the draft IMO and I don't think we'll spend a high pick here. 

Tight End
Little disappointing we let our #1 target last year escape in FA but understand the reasons why we wouldn't want to pay a large sum to an older vet. For me, I'd have tried very hard to get Cook back as Carr and him had such chemistry, clearly worked well together and now we're basically changing every single one of Carr's receiving targets sans Roberts, they will need time to gel (again). I don't feel comfortable relying on a rookie TE as a security blanket for Carr and aside for Hockensen who may be out of our reach with pick # 24 I see big holes in the other TEs games.

O Line
We've added what we believe to be a franchise LT, I'd be surprised if we spent those $$$$ and then played him at RT though of course in our division there are a few guys like Von Miller who usually rush from the right. We traded KO and brought back Goode and Green (though Goode is listed as tackle on the Raiders website). A projected starting line of Brown - Jackson - Hudson - Goode - Miller doesn't look stellar to me and I would have concerns about the right side and may try and take a tackle or guard in the draft. Risner is my favourite lineman and if he's there at #27 I'd be very tempted to pull the trigger and slot him in for a decade at RG or RT. I don't see us adding a high draft pick however and though he'll have another year I don't think Cable is the right guy to bring on Miller. This is a worry right now and despite adding some weapons we still need better protection and run blocking but I don't see us spending any assets here unfortunately.

Overall, I'm disappointed that we only really added A Brown and T Brown which really helps Carr, some would argue Williams and Nelson will help of course but I see them as underwhelming signings and not really better than the guys who were here. I think we desperately need to add another WR and not a late round hopeful, a good all round TE, an option at RB and more strength on the OLine. I just don't see how we're going to address all those items and the defensive needs with limited resources. Carr is the most important player on our team so if it was me I'd look to address DE with one of our first round picks but I'd have to try and get Carr a WR, TE at least and maybe some OL help which would mean sadly neglecting LB again and DB until later in the draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

So, I'm one of those guys that believes Carr has the potential to be a consistent top 10 QB in this league. I believe we should ride with him and see what he can do in this system with some talent around him. With that in mind what have we done for Derek Carr so far and what could we potentially do:

I'm right here next to you, with this Carr to TOP 10 idea of yours :)

I think we need to see what he can do in 2019 and if he still isn't the answer we need to go all in on our guy in the 2020 class.

I like the AB addition just like you and I like the Williams addition more then you I guess. I think he will be a really good weapon accross from AB. JJ Nelson is a non factor in my eyes and even Roberts is ahead of him on my DC. I would also welcome a WR relatively early!

At RB I would like the Crowell signing, since I think he can be a better player for us then Martin. Ideally I would like to see us grab a middle rounder to pair with Crowell and Richard, so we can let Lynch retire for good this time. 

At TE I have semi high hopes for Waller in Gruden's scheme, which is a pretty TE friendly one IMO. With that said this year is pretty good at TE in the draft and I would be down for a high-to-mid TE selection. Noah Fant is a Cook clone to me, so he would be a logical fit, however we might shoot for a more all around guy, since Waller is also a similar phisical freak, exWR pass catching option.

I think the idea now in the middle of the OL is Gabe to LG and Good to RG, but as Gruden told the reporters at the owners meeting, we will wait till the draft to determine that. They might grab an OG early.

The other thing which could effect Gabe's place is the Brown-Miller "dance". I mean they might want to put Gabe next to Miller to help him out a little.

I can see us keeping Miller at LT and bringing Gabe over to LG and then the Good-Brown right side would be some massive run blocking unit...but as easily as that I can see them put Miller at RT and leave Gabe there next to him at RG. Then the question is whether Good can play LG or whether you draft a guy to play LG and you keep Good as RG/RT depth...

D.Risner would be a nice addition if he is willing to play inside. I mean he is a 3 year starter at RT, but he has some OC history too, he might be able to play anything from LG to RT. He could be a plug in guy for us at LG or RG depending on Gabe's (Miller's) place and he could be an emergency option behind Miller if he continues to be horrible...

The biggest factor will be the OL, the run block and the protection for Carr. The sad (and to me strange) part of it is that it is still up to Cable to fix it, while he seems to be totally unable to do so...We won't go far if the OL struggles and the OL will struggle without good coaching IMO...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

I think the idea now in the middle of the OL is Gabe to LG and Good to RG, but as Gruden told the reporters at the owners meeting, we will wait till the draft to determine that. They might grab an OG early.

The other thing which could effect Gabe's place is the Brown-Miller "dance". I mean they might want to put Gabe next to Miller to help him out a little.

I can see us keeping Miller at LT and bringing Gabe over to LG and then the Good-Brown right side would be some massive run blocking unit...but as easily as that I can see them put Miller at RT and leave Gabe there next to him at RG. Then the question is whether Good can play LG or whether you draft a guy to play LG and you keep Good as RG/RT depth...

D.Risner would be a nice addition if he is willing to play inside. I mean he is a 3 year starter at RT, but he has some OC history too, he might be able to play anything from LG to RT. He could be a plug in guy for us at LG or RG depending on Gabe's (Miller's) place and he could be an emergency option behind Miller if he continues to be horrible...

The biggest factor will be the OL, the run block and the protection for Carr. The sad (and to me strange) part of it is that it is still up to Cable to fix it, while he seems to be totally unable to do so...We won't go far if the OL struggles and the OL will struggle without good coaching IMO...

You raise a 'Good' point (apologies for the pun) with regard to Miller and we might want to play the more experienced or better player next to him for assistance. I don't see us drafting an OL high but to me Risner is one of my favourite players in the entire draft. He's not pretty to watch or exciting like the WRs or edge guys but he's just going to be a near pro bowl level player for 10 years IMHO plus he can play all over - though I agree he's probably best at RT. Miller I have some sympathy for as he was thrown in with the sharks a bit as a rookie and I'm not confident Cable can develop him though in the right scenario I think he could be a very decent player.

I worry about Fant and if he can sustain blocks or even wants the nitty gritty stuff. I like him as a receiver and who wouldn't like his combine results but I'm a little wary of these type of TEs, I really haven't seen enough of Waller aside from a couple big plays at the tail end of last year to know if he'll be a full time starter. I think we agree wholeheartedly on the OL and the Cable guy :)

• Like 1