The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

That's a lot of people's gripe with Carr. He's athletic, but doesn't want to use his legs often. When pressured, he get happy feet and skittish in the pocket vs. finding his way out of a jam. 

Agreed he can run way more than he does and be more A-Rodish. Can't argue that

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

As scared as he is in the pocket, you'd think he'd run away from the pressure instead of getting smacked around.

It’s not his skill set. He’s used to operating in a clean pocket and completing passes. Mobile QBs all have started out running first. The good ones go through their reads and progressions then run. Carr doesn’t even think to run. 

5 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

It’s not his skill set. He’s used to operating in a clean pocket and completing passes. Mobile QBs all have started out running first. The good ones go through their reads and progressions then run. Carr doesn’t even think to run. 

I could care less if he ran or not, he just doesnt know how to maneuver in the pocket when there's a surplus of bodies around him. He doesn't know how to buy time. He's athletic but cant elude even a floating plastic bag, goes down at the slightest bit of contact. He just loses most his poise and has a deer in headlights look when theres pressure.

Literally any QB in the NFL can do well in a clean pocket. Just like any RB in the NFL will do well when their oline is pancaking and blocking guys five yards off the LOS. The great ones know how to create and produce in less than perfect situations. Carr will never be great. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I know that. But he needs to pick his spots to run or throw the ball away to keep from getting hit in the pocket. He should have ran for his life last year. But he didn't and got the crap kicked out of him.

57 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I know that. But he needs to pick his spots to run or throw the ball away to keep from getting hit in the pocket. He should have ran for his life last year. But he didn't and got the crap kicked out of him.

You think him running for his life would have equated to him getting hit less?

That is a shortsighted take if you watch his pressures. Most are blindside hits or simultaneously interior and exterior pocket collapses. Yes, there were a minority of times where he got pressure from one rusher or one side where he could have made a better decision but that is every QB in the league.

I'm in the camp that thinks Carr has to be better but we also have to look at what he does well and be realistic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I could care less if he ran or not, he just doesnt know how to maneuver in the pocket when there's a surplus of bodies around him. He doesn't know how to buy time. He's athletic but cant elude even a floating plastic bag, goes down at the slightest bit of contact. He just loses most his poise and has a deer in headlights look when theres pressure.

Literally any QB in the NFL can do well in a clean pocket. Just like any RB in the NFL will do well when their oline is pancaking and blocking guys five yards off the LOS. The great ones know how to create and produce in less than perfect situations. Carr will never be great. 

Please provide specific examples of this from last year to support your claim.

Are you really trying to defend Carr under pressure NTL? He has had this written on his cons on scouting reports since his first year at Fresno State. The main reason he was picked in the 2nd Round was because of how he operates under pressures. He panics, doesn’t elude defenders, gets happy feet, and usually makes a bad decision instead of standing in the pocket and finding the open guy. 

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

That is a shortsighted take if you watch his pressures. Most are blindside hits or simultaneously interior and exterior pocket collapses. Yes, there were a minority of times where he got pressure from one rusher or one side where he could have made a better decision but that is every QB in the league.

I'm in the camp that thinks Carr has to be better but we also have to look at what he does well and be realistic.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a Carr supporter and want him to have a great season. I’d just like him to run when the opportunity presents itself rather than make a bad decision with the ball.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yeah I saw many times where you just take the sack. The pocket was almost fully collapsed.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Are you really trying to defend Carr under pressure NTL? He has had this written on his cons on scouting reports since his first year at Fresno State. The main reason he was picked in the 2nd Round was because of how he operates under pressures. He panics, doesn’t elude defenders, gets happy feet, and usually makes a bad decision instead of standing in the pocket and finding the open guy. 

First off, why don't you quote me?

Tell the truth...

Second, I didn't say he is good under pressure. go back and read what I said and what I was responding to.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

While impressive, this is also helped by the fact Carr rarely does take deep shots, and when he does the guy has to be 100% wide open. This obviously will help your completion percentage immensely.  Carr is not trying to throw into a window deep. 

Which is a shame, because he can. He just won’t do it. I remember a tight window deep throw in the Pro Bowl he made where there was nothing at stake. Gorgeous throw. 

Edited by BayRaider

31 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

While impressive, this is also helped by the fact Carr rarely does take deep shots, and when he does the guy has to be 100% wide open. This obviously will help your completion percentage immensely.  Carr is not trying to throw into a window deep. 

Which is a shame, because he can. He just won’t do it. I remember a tight window deep throw in the Pro Bowl he made where there was nothing at stake. Gorgeous throw. 

He completes tight throws into tight coverage all the time.  I don't agree with you at all.  In 2016 when he had his best season he completed over 50%.  He literally holds two of the top 3 seasons over the last 3 years.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jerry said:

He completes tight throws into tight coverage all the time.  I don't agree with you at all.  In 2016 when he had his best season he completed over 50%.  He literally holds two of the top 3 seasons over the last 3 years.  

Nahh. He's a limited qb who's skittish in the pocket and consistently has underperformed with a staff and team with tons of continuity. Draft Haskins tbh.