The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

More PFF garbage. This is a completely subjective stat one. And two.... 3 of those QBs are not even in the top 10 in the league. So what's the stat prove?

Carr is high because he takes the easiest throws possible hence the high accurate ball placement. Not to mention all the checkdowns will help this stat as well. 

16 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:
22 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Oh, I think we did have a quick outlet like a RB or maybe a TE but very few where we schemed a WR to get free early is what I was thinking. Only one short crossing route for nelson and he didn't look back at Carr until after he'd left the pocket in the opposite direction. I saw Roberts curl back once but was covered as he didn't sell anything other than what he was doing. I totally agree on the last sentence, if the QB has 2 seconds to throw he only has time to look one way basically, thought Carr actually made a few nice plays with his legs too.

I agree with most of what you saw but what difference does it make who the outlet is?

As long as it's there is what matters.

If you are gonna say that this would limit ABs looks or something, I'm sure Gruden has made AB the hot route in 80% of his plays and has already said he putting in the route ABs like the most, (slants, curls, zone sit downs and double moves imo).

I see what you're getting at and I don't think we're in disagreement, it's just an interesting point to me that we didn't scheme a few short, quick hit routes to try and ease the pressure and instead continued to send our receivers downfield and rely on a back flaring out or sitting down in front of the line of scrimmage, maybe we were hoping to create space for the dump off to the back by taking the DBs downfield, maybe we should have been scheming a WR open quickly. Just puzzled me why Carr had so limited options when the whole staff would have known what was inevitably coming at him. 

I really don’t understand all of the hate on Derek Carr. People say he’s a checkdown QBs and that he doesn’t throw the deep passes. Carr hasn’t looked like 2016 Carr cause our line hasn’t looked line 2016 line. Last season he put up his best seasons as far as completion % and yards, and that was with Jordy “old ***” Nelson, half a season with coop and of course Jared cook. 

I don’t like having a TE being our best receiver. When Carr was at his best he produced two 1,000 yard receivers and that’s because we had 2 good receivers and a line at that time. Cooper was and still is too streaky, so there has to be a good #2 with him, we didn’t have that. I can’t wait to see what Carr will do with Brown, Williams, Renfrow (I think he’ll be beast with us) and josh Jacobs. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

I see what you're getting at and I don't think we're in disagreement, it's just an interesting point to me that we didn't scheme a few short, quick hit routes to try and ease the pressure and instead continued to send our receivers downfield and rely on a back flaring out or sitting down in front of the line of scrimmage, maybe we were hoping to create space for the dump off to the back by taking the DBs downfield, maybe we should have been scheming a WR open quickly. Just puzzled me why Carr had so limited options when the whole staff would have known what was inevitably coming at him. 

But we did.

It goes either way. If we start loading the underneath zone with WRs and backs then they play zone coverage and jump the routes. We mixed up the routes and who was hot read but none of that matters if Carr only has 1.5 to 2.5 seconds to release the pass before he has to start processing escape or tuck or outlet or step up, all while protecting the ball and trying to stay balanced to deliver an accurate pass.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

More PFF garbage. This is a completely subjective stat one. And two.... 3 of those QBs are not even in the top 10 in the league. So what's the stat prove?

Seriously. Dak is one of the most inaccurate passers in the NFL, heck i think Garrett is more accurate than him if all or nothing is to be believed. 

And tennihill? 😂😂😂

• Like 1

My favorite quote was by Derek Carr. Negative 47 % chance tbe raiders drafted a QB. 

I told y'all not a single QB in the top 35 of our big board that its a 100% fact.

Hence my certainty that it wasn't going to happen.

Edited by OG_C2X
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

My favorite quote was by Derek Carr. Negative 47 % chance tbe raiders drafted a QB. 

I told y'all not a single QB in the top 35 of our big board that its a 100% fact.

Hence my certainty that it wasn't going to happen.

Once Kyler got drafted, I wanted no parts of this QB class so I'm happy we didn't. 

For the first time in his career, the pressure is on Carr and I'm excited to see how he responds. 

• Like 1

I wanted to take a chance on Easton Stick in the late rounds.  It would have to be him or Renfrow and it would come down to which position I thought the player would have a better chance of making the team.  If he would have been there with our next pick I would have pulled the trigger. 

I just noticed that we held pick 158 twice and traded it twice.  I wonder if a team has ever traded the same pick twice in a draft.

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Once Kyler got drafted, I wanted no parts of this QB class so I'm happy we didn't. 

For the first time in his career, the pressure is on Carr and I'm excited to see how he responds. 

Carr has had pressure before.

Start every game your rookie season.

Huge game time moments in 2015 and 2016 where he had to make plays to win us games to make the playoffs. Some successful some not.

Return from a from an bad injury 2 years in a row leading up to contract year.

I call all 3 of those season situations pressure, but we could have different definitions.