The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

11 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

I've never seen a QB have so many fans giving excuses after excuses for a player This is a make or break year for Carr. 

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Jesus the excuses never stop... this is how you get stuck with an average QB for 8-9 years, just make excuses for the guy every single year. 

This year will be something...

It's not like we're making up the injuries, new OC every year, and crap around him at times. We also acknowledge his shortcomings and want better play this year from the WHOLE TEAM.

And if something happens this year that derails what could have been a highly productive year then we will state and discuss that "excuse' too and not just think a different QB is gonna solve everything.

19 hours ago, NYRaider said:

In all 3 of those seasons, he was locked into the quarterback spot though, his job wasn't in danger. This year is a make or break year for him and if he doesn't play well he won't be the quarterback with the team moves to Las Vegas. There's even more pressure on him because it's the last year in Oakland, we have an extremely tough schedule, it's his 2nd year with Gruden, and we rebuilt the offense/added playmakers. If he can't play well with this group then he's clearly not the guy long term, this is the most talented group he has had in his career. 

I was strictly stating that he had pressure on him in those years as well. In his first 3 years a coach could have brought in a vet or drafted his guy if he didn't believe in Carr. He was on his rookie deal and his dead money and cap hit were super low. Nothing holding him to the starter role except being the best QB in the building. Not his fault and he would be a fool to think that he couldn't be replaced in that time frame if the gm and coach choose to go another direction.

Edited by NightTrainLane
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

He isn't going to see his 5th year picked up?  Absolutely no proof or ground for that argument

Yeah there is plenty of ground for that argument. HE ISNT EFFING GOOD!!! I had a late second round grade on him same grade i gave Tebow coming out.

23 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Carr has had pressure before.

Start every game your rookie season.

Huge game time moments in 2015 and 2016 where he had to make plays to win us games to make the playoffs. Some successful some not.

Return from a from an bad injury 2 years in a row leading up to contract year.

I call all 3 of those season situations pressure, but we could have different definitions.

This is a different type of pressure. Play well or we're moving on type pressure. 

There are no excuses anymore. We are in perfect position to replace him next year if he doesnt rise to the occasion. 

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

So Carr needs the #1 pass protection in the league to be good? Get outta here. 

Haha that's exactly what he's saying. Carr needs the best and highest paid oline in the league, two #1 Receivers like we had in 2016 and a top 5 rushing attack for him to be successful. 

So he's basically admitting Carr is a limited QB who needs everything around him to be perfect for him to play well. 

7 hours ago, OG_C2X said:

Yeah there is plenty of ground for that argument. HE ISNT EFFING GOOD!!! I had a late second round grade on him same grade i gave Tebow coming out.

He has yet to play a game yet. Like all rookies , the jury is out until further notice

10 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

This is a different type of pressure. Play well or we're moving on type pressure. 

There are no excuses anymore. We are in perfect position to replace him next year if he doesnt rise to the occasion. 

He has had that pressure before as well. There are no excuses at the moment, that is correct.

Derek Carr is a good QB who can/could be GREAT!!!

I don't get the hate but all good. I think it's the 'good guy' vibe and not having a beer with the guy vibe the fans have that leads to the hate...He doesn't care. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, G said:

Derek Carr is a good QB who can/could be GREAT!!!

I don't get the hate but all good. I think it's the 'good guy' vibe and not having a beer with the guy vibe the fans have that leads to the hate...He doesn't care. :)

I’m not sure what it is with the Carr debate either. My guess is that people see what they want to see with him. Some have taken the side of support to the point of denying evident flaws in his game; others have decided that he is horrible to the point of denying evidence that he did some good things last year. There are stats that can be cherry picked for both parties, and when you actually look at it, both sides are a bit right and a bit wrong.

I want to start a crusade of grounding all Carr takes across all sources: one which we can agree that Carr is a pretty good QB with a bit more potential, but has displayed flaws due to both his play and his supporting cast. I dream of a Raider fan utopia where we can all be cautiously optimistic until we start crushing teams with consistency. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mct288 said:

I’m not sure what it is with the Carr debate either. My guess is that people see what they want to see with him. Some have taken the side of support to the point of denying evident flaws in his game; others have decided that he is horrible to the point of denying evidence that he did some good things last year. There are stats that can be cherry picked for both parties, and when you actually look at it, both sides are a bit right and a bit wrong.

I want to start a crusade of grounding all Carr takes across all sources: one which we can agree that Carr is a pretty good QB with a bit more potential, but has displayed flaws due to both his play and his supporting cast. I dream of a Raider fan utopia where we can all be cautiously optimistic until we start crushing teams with consistency. 

I agree with the last sentiment entirely!

Only thing I'd say is that every Carr supporter here that I've seen contribute has readily admitted Carr has flaws and I've not seen anyone deny any obvious flaws in his game.  

• Like 1

Not sure why this is even a discussion at this point.  Carr has the season. Everyone jump on board and support your QB.

No one will be afraid to speak up during the season. Bad performances will warrant criticism.

Hopefully it all works out.  If not, this discussion will be en fuego at the end of the year.

• Like 1