The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's true, consistency is key. I remember when Kapernick lit the league up for that short period of time and I thought was destined to be a HOFer. 

Yep, and RGIII too. Dare I say Derek Carr in 2016 :)

On 7/31/2019 at 7:58 AM, Darbsk said:

Yep, and RGIII too. Dare I say Derek Carr in 2016 :)

Kaepernick and RGIII where both more running QBs than passers and Mahomes has shown that he's more than runner. He's done things with his arm that are Farve like and you could even argue are better. Carr was deadly in 2016 but even then he didn't even come close to what Mahomes did in 2018. Sure he's in a good situation but most great QBs are like Brady, Brees and Rivers. No one really slowed him not even the Pat's who played him twice and they kept the Rams in check during the super bowl. I'm not saying he's going to post the same numbers this year and i honestly think he'll take a step back but man unless he gets injured like RGIII or Carr, this guy is going to be lights out.

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

I personally can't watch more of this QB play anymore. Even the game vs Denver, had a ton of short, quick passes and intermediate passes.

Park the Carr and trade it in

What do you guys expect with a terrible D that can't stop anyone, always playing from behind, a number 2 WR that is his number 1 and a bunch of 3/4's as his other weapons.  

Jacobs was non existent yesterday bc they were behind and had to abandon the run game.  Does that make Jocobs a bad player?

Carr has no choice but to dink and dunk.  Would you rather dink and dunk or have him force the ball and turn it over?  Those are his options.  Now I will admit that an accurate, mobile QB that can extend plays with his legs would extend plays longer than Carr but once again he would have no weapons to throw too.  

The best friend of a QB is a good D and the Raiders D is terrible.  We have one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL, heck Cousins sat back there all day and picked us apart and looked like Brady LOL  That is how horrible our D is.  One who doesn't understand football would point the finger at Gunther, when the issue is clearly not scheme but lack of talent on D.  

Carr is always playing with a deficit and trying to play catchup.  Playing from behind limits the playbook and pocket passers like Carr need some type of weapons in the passing game and he has zero.  

I would like to see him attempt to extend plays more with his legs but like I have said since AB left, this team is at best a 6 win team.  We have more talent than last season but are still bottom of the league in overall talent on our roster which limits both Carr and Jocobs.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

What do you guys expect with a terrible D that can't stop anyone, always playing from behind, a number 2 WR that is his number 1 and a bunch of 3/4's as his other weapons.  

Jacobs was non existent yesterday bc they were behind and had to abandon the run game.  Does that make Jocobs a bad player?

Carr has no choice but to dink and dunk.  Would you rather dink and dunk or have him force the ball and turn it over?  Those are his options.  Now I will admit that an accurate, mobile QB that can extend plays with his legs would extend plays longer than Carr but once again he would have no weapons to throw too.  

The best friend of a QB is a good D and the Raiders D is terrible.  We have one of the worst pass rushes in the NFL, heck Cousins sat back there all day and picked us apart and looked like Brady LOL  That is how horrible our D is.  One who doesn't understand football would point the finger at Gunther, when the issue is clearly not scheme but lack of talent on D.  

Carr is always playing with a deficit and trying to play catchup.  Playing from behind limits the playbook and pocket passers like Carr need some type of weapons in the passing game and he has zero.  

I would like to see him attempt to extend plays more with his legs but like I have said since AB left, this team is at best a 6 win team.  We have more talent than last season but are still bottom of the league in overall talent on our roster which limits both Carr and Jocobs.

Just a bunch of excuses and blind faith. I told everyone this was the reality with Carr that he is a below-average QB

What's the attachment to this loser QB  has? How many teams do you see fortunes have been turned around with a new QB?

1 minute ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I'm not a hater or an apologist, but it's time for him to go. He's had one good season and crapped the bed the others. The NFL is a win now league and Carr isn't a winner. 

That's where I am at too. Like it or not we are stuck with Gruden for 8 more years. Even if we think Gruden is the problem, we need to get a QB who can execute his system better. We can get out of his contract easily and start fresh. Carr has had 6 seasons including this year and has had 1 good year. Not acceptable.

yesterday, i came to terms with who DC is. Ive always had his back, and made the excuses and focused on the good in him. Ill still have his back and want him to be successful, but no more excuses, he needs to be better, and if he doesnt improve drastically by seasons end, he wont make it to Vegas. I truly have hoped hed be that guy, especially since we wouldnt have to use up more capital on the position and spread those assets across the roster, where it is desperately needed. But, we arent going anywhere with below average to sometimes average QB play. We need a dog behind center. Time for Carr to put up or shut up.

• Like 1

I don't think of myself as a hater or an apologist (though I have been a supporter of DC in the past). I think on the one hand we got a little unlucky getting the Chiefs and Vikes in the first three weeks - both of whom look like contenders, and the whole AB thing just before the season will not have helped. However, the elite QBs in this league elevate their team to difficult victories. No one would say of Brady "well the opponents are a good team and he was missing a particular receiver", Brady (and I am not a fan as I am still bitter about the Tuck Rule) makes the players around him better. Similar things can be said of Brees, P Manning and a small handful of others.

I feel the truth about Carr (until proven otherwise) is that he is a top-20(ish) QB - say between #17 and #23. He is notably better than any free agent that we are likely to get and the majority of draftees, so I don't want to just 'get rid of him', as I remember JaMarcus Russell, I remember Andrew Walter, I remember a whole list of QBs that were notably worse than Carr over the last God knows how many years - but that doesn't mean that we can't upgrade the spot and indeed look to do so.

I am going to stay behind Carr for now because we can't replace him before the end of the season anyway (seriously I do not want to see Glennon or Kizer starting), let the season play out and see what happens in the draft.

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

This would be great argument if I didn't watch Daniel Jones with Sterling Shepard as his #1 and Barkley out win the game and throwing down field to bum wrs. Tyrell Williams is better than any wr they have. Our oline is better and defense is about the same.

We should he in shootouts. Or least kicking fgs. Playcalling has been bad and Carr last 7 qtrs hasnt been great. Jacobs is misused and needs more open field recs. Waller is only guy being used right.

• Like 1

i cant say that i expected to win yesterday because Minny is legit and are a contender in the NFC. My thing is, what it looks like. We leave way too many plays on the field. If DC was maxing out, then i would revert back to the talent level being an issue(because it is). My thing is Carr is leaving way too many throws on the table, and he compounds that by running into sacks and feeling pressure when it isnt there. Whens the last time DC dropped a dime while getting hit? There are opportunities where he can keep plays alive, and he chooses to throw short of the sticks or take sacks, its unacceptable. Look at guys like Watson, who are getting crushed every week, and still sit in the pocket and make big time throws. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Geezy said:

i cant say that i expected to win yesterday because Minny is legit and are a contender in the NFC. My thing is, what it looks like. We leave way too many plays on the field. If DC was maxing out, then i would revert back to the talent level being an issue(because it is). My thing is Carr is leaving way too many throws on the table, and he compounds that by running into sacks and feeling pressure when it isnt there. Whens the last time DC dropped a dime while getting hit? There are opportunities where he can keep plays alive, and he chooses to throw short of the sticks or take sacks, its unacceptable. Look at guys like Watson, who are getting crushed every week, and still sit in the pocket and make big time throws. 

Solid post.. he got happy feet a few times yesterday with no one around. That's a fact. On his int for example. He could of stepped up and delivered a strike. Carr has the talent and arm ability which is the frustrating part. 

In the Denver game he stood and threw the ball and moved around in pocket bettet than I've seen in years. You can't be scared in pocket as a QB in the NFL

You can make excuses for any QB. Fact is, Carr has a solid pass protecting Oline. Williams can play. Waller can play. He has some talent around him.

In two games, they got behind and I saw nothing from Carr. I'd rather he take shots trying to win than playing safe and throwing picks anyway. That INT yesterday to Foster was among the worst passes I've seen from a QB. Happy feet, no base just heaved it with no pressure around him for a pick. 

And it's a trend with him checking down. He wants to get the ball out quick. He doesn't like pressure. He's not seeing the field right now. He's looking to get in and out of plays too quick.

How many 3rd down passes short of the sticks can we tolerate? It's maddening at this point.