The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

Carr is one of my favorite players and his 2016 play has been my highest point as a fan since I started watching in '05. He's a great human being so I'm gonna keep rooting for him to improve even if it ends up on a different team. But yes, if his play continues like this the rest of the season, I'm absolutely all for drafting a QB.

• Like 1

Carr is ranked #7 on PFF for QBs this season. I'm not sure they even watch Raider games. The description states they grade "avoiding turnover-worthy plays" very very highly. Which I guess means Carr is the best PFF QB of all time cause that dude ain't takin no risks. Carr does have a 6.7 average depth of target the past two games, fourth lowest in the league, and he was Bottom 5 last year as well.

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Carr is ranked #7 on PFF for QBs this season. I'm not sure they even watch Raider games. The description states they grade "avoiding turnover-worthy plays" very very highly. Which I guess means Carr is the best PFF QB of all time cause that dude ain't takin no risks. Carr does have a 6.7 average depth of target the past two games, fourth lowest in the league, and he was Bottom 5 last year as well.

I am not impressed with Carr at all this year but my only issue is with myself.  I do not know enough about Xs and Os of football to know whether the issue is with the play calling of Gruden or Carr's unwillingness to take risks.  For anyone saying where are the open receivers sometimes you have to throw them open.  He does not trust his receivers enough and I do not think it matters who the receivers are.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I am not impressed with Carr at all this year but my only issue is with myself.  I do not know enough about Xs and Os of football to know whether the issue is with the play calling of Gruden or Carr's unwillingness to take risks.  For anyone saying where are the open receivers sometimes you have to throw them open.  He does not trust his receivers enough and I do not think it matters who the receivers are.

Agreed, the great ones throw receivers open. Carr won't even throw into a tight window, let alone ever throw a receiver open.

Just now, BayRaider said:

Agreed, the great ones throw receivers open. Carr won't even throw into a tight window, let alone ever throw a receiver open.

The sad part is every once in a while he will rifle one into a tight window and it is beautiful.  He has the ability but not the mindset.  If you could put Fitzpatrick's mindset into Carr's body you have a poor mans Brett Favre.  Carr needs to see it instead of feeling and anticipating it.

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You're really trying to push an agenda now. Making things up as you go. 

Week 1, Carr tossed one of the prettiest TD pass you'll see into a tight window. I get he's not consistent with it, but you are really bending the narrative to fit your agenda at this point.

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

You're really trying to push an agenda now. Making things up as you go. 

Week 1, Carr tossed one of the prettiest TD pass you'll see into a tight window. I get he's not consistent with it, but you are really bending the narrative to fit your agenda at this point.

You’re using one throw to support your claim here? He rarely throws into windows, and if it is, it’s a pass well short of ten yards. Carr is one of the worst tight window throwers in the league, been watchin this dude for years. 

I’m definitely not bending any truth, that would be Carr supporters over the past two years. Stop picking little bits that you didn’t like the way they were worded. I am mostly talking about Carrs last two games as well where he basically was a Bottom 2-3 QB in the NFL. I have no issues with his Bronco game and he looked stellar. However, every QB in the league is gonna have 2-3 great games every year. 

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

You’re using one throw to support your claim here? He rarely throws into windows, and if it is, it’s a pass well short of ten yards. Carr is one of the worst tight window throwers in the league, been watchin this dude for years. 

I’m definitely not bending any truth, that would be Carr supporters over the past two years. Stop picking little bits that you didn’t like the way they were worded. I am mostly talking about Carrs last two games as well where he basically was a Bottom 2-3 QB in the NFL. I have no issues with his Bronco game and he looked stellar. However, every QB in the league is gonna have 2-3 great games every year. 

Yeah, one throw over 6 seasons... c'mon man. He's had plenty of wow throws in his career. You are reaching to fuel your agenda. 

You're here saying "Carr won't even throw in tight windows" Making absoutely statements and now backtracking and saying for the the last 2 games... I see your agenda. 

I'm critical of Carr as well, but your not even being objective at this point.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yeah, one throw over 6 seasons... c'mon man. He's had plenty of wow throws in his career. You are reaching to fuel your agenda. 

You're here saying "Carr won't even throw in tight windows" Making absoutely statements and now backtracking and saying for the the last 2 games... I see your agenda. 

He will and has the talent but just chooses to not take the risk as much as he should.  He use to throw some pretty passes to Crabtree and Roberts where he would fit the ball in some tight windows.  Hopefully he can build some confidence in making those throws to Williams, Renfrow, and Waller.

25 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

He will and has the talent but just chooses to not take the risk as much as he should.  He use to throw some pretty passes to Crabtree and Roberts where he would fit the ball in some tight windows.  Hopefully he can build some confidence in making those throws to Williams, Renfrow, and Waller.

It's all coming down to confidence with him. When he's feeling it, he can sling the ball. But when he gets pressured, his mechanics and footwork get sloppy. I just don't know what it is going to take to rebuild his psyche or if it's beyond repair. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

This is why I've avoided this convo so far.  Some will back Carr no matter what.  Some will bash him no matter what.  I don't want to argue about it anymore.  He will play out the year and whatever happens happens. 

I've been 60/40 pro Carr for the most part.  I can't defend his crappy play sometimes, but I still think he is a better player on the team than the rest.  Even in basic terms, you upgrade the weaker links first.  At least in my eyes anyway.  I don't want to talk about AB anymore either, but that whole situation messed everything up too. 

This is not the offense I was looking forward to and promised all offseason.  I understand people are looking for someone to blame.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I do agree, losing AB was a critical blow on the field.

AB on the field I'm sure would have easily been a 1200-10 guy and done so succesfully against a #1 corner.

With AB, tyrell is a #2 with 1v1 coverage every play, which he will dominate.

With AB, Waller is given 1v1 coverage every play, which he will dominate.

With AB, the slot is opened up, meaning renfrow has more space to work with.

With AB, the running game is opened up, meaning Jacobs has more space to run.

If we could draft one of those 2020 receivers rn (Jeudy/Lamb/Shennault/Higgins, etc) and put them in the offense today, I think it would be substantially better.

If you take Julio off the falcons, they're a different team offensively. Same thing here.

Exactly correct although I don't know much about the college Wr's.  I will say that everything regarding AB is spot on and you clearly see the trickle down affect.   

• Like 1