The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

21 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

Many analysts have praised some of Gruden’s timing and play designs as of late, but I think he needs to be more consistent. 

I honestly thought he was going to be praised for every single play.  I thought after 15 years of studying film and working with coaches and talking with coaches and players around the league he was going to come back and raise the bar on offense.  Clutch plays, well timed runs, sweet gadget plays, just impliment an offense that can easily be ran by Carr while being complex and cutting edge.  I thought he was going to be a lot like McVay honestly.  Do those WR runs they always do.  We have JJ Nelson, I thought for sure he would have JJ Nelson or maybe Jacobs from the slot come and do one of those quick runs around the edge.  I've seen him do similar stuff with Waller.  I don't know much about schemes and offense, but I thought I was going to see more.  I feel like his scheme is so basic.

• Like 4

After watching Carr this past week against Minnesota again from the All-22, it does seem he leaves a lot plays on the field, but it's tough to tell if that is his fault. The playcalling and scheme seems to favor Carr's propensity to get the ball out quickly, string together multiple completions, and take calculated downfield shots. Unfortunately, the defense can't stop a nosebleed--putting more stress on he offense to be more dynamic--and the offense lacks a dynamic matchup element outside of Darren Waller right now. Although it does seem Carr is all too willing to dump it down underneath instead of taking a deeper shot downfield, I can almost hear Gruden in his ear saying, "you can't go broke making a profit."

Carr's strengths and weakness are pretty strictly defined: despite the arm to challenge defenses, he's a conservative player who wants to get the ball out quickly and will rarely challenge double coverage. Despite this, he does have the ability to make challenging downfield throws when the playcalling calls for it.

I think this offense caters a little too much to Carr's comfort level. The offense also lacks matchup-favorable options outside of Darren Waller. Williams is a good receiver, but he's not a matchup issue for most defenses. In most cases, Renfrow and Nelson are matchup neutral players. Carr isn't the type to elevate average players to good players, but he typically won't make players look worse than they actually are.

I would love for the team to add another talented receiver toiling in a bad offense. I've mentioned this before, but I would like to see the Raiders bring in Corey Davis. He's not an elite player, but he's better than what he has been so far for the Titans.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

After watching Carr this past week against Minnesota again from the All-22, it does seem he leaves a lot plays on the field, but it's tough to tell if that is his fault. The playcalling and scheme seems to favor Carr's propensity to get the ball out quickly, string together multiple completions, and take calculated downfield shots. Unfortunately, the defense can't stop a nosebleed--putting more stress on he offense to be more dynamic--and the offense lacks a dynamic matchup element outside of Darren Waller right now. Although it does seem Carr is all too willing to dump it down underneath instead of taking a deeper shot downfield, I can almost hear Gruden in his ear saying, "you can't go broke making a profit."

Carr's strengths and weakness are pretty strictly defined: despite the arm to challenge defenses, he's a conservative player who wants to get the ball out quickly and will rarely challenge double coverage. Despite this, he does have the ability to make challenging downfield throws when the playcalling calls for it.

I think this offense caters a little too much to Carr's comfort level. The offense also lacks matchup-favorable options outside of Darren Waller. Williams is a good receiver, but he's not a matchup issue for most defenses. In most cases, Renfrow and Nelson are matchup neutral players. Carr isn't the type to elevate average players to good players, but he typically won't make players look worse than they actually are.

I would love for the team to add another talented receiver toiling in a bad offense. I've mentioned this before, but I would like to see the Raiders bring in Corey Davis. He's not an elite player, but he's better than what he has been so far for the Titans.

IF they stick with Carr I’ve mentioned before lol get another big matchup TE and own the middle of the field. That’s his comfort zone imo

the problem with our dink and dunk offense is that we dont have any game breakers that will take those 5 yards and take it 60. Its 6 yards, then maybe a few more. We need to get Jacobs more involved in the pass game, hes the most likely to get chunks out of short passes. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Are you guys ready to move on From Carr? He seems to be a very conservative QB. Like unless the guy is WIDE open he’s not throwing them the ball. 

Most are trending that way I'd say. I think the majority recognize this is a make or break year for him with Gruden and quite frankly he hasn't been good enough. I can see us moving on, signing a Gruden likes in FA as a stop gap then trying to groom a Peterman (lol) or rookie to be the eventual guy.

14 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Are you guys ready to move on From Carr? He seems to be a very conservative QB. Like unless the guy is WIDE open he’s not throwing them the ball. 

Yes. Carr flashed early in his career but he’s not the same player after that ankle injury. He has all of the tools but mentally he’s just way too conservative.

I want a real franchise quarterback here.

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yes. Carr flashed early in his career but he’s not the same player after that ankle injury. He has all of the tools but mentally he’s just way too conservative.

I want a real franchise quarterback here.

I don't think his ankle injury has anything to do with it. 

Typically you see teams with a lot of cap space improve year over year but the Raiders have done the complete opposite with 2018 being one of the worst rosters this team has ever fielded.  The decrease in surrounding talent is more of a contributor to his decreased production than a fibular fracture he had in 2016.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't think his ankle injury has anything to do with it. 

Typically you see teams with a lot of cap space improve year over year but the Raiders have done the complete opposite with 2018 being one of the worst rosters this team has ever fielded.  The decrease in surrounding talent is more of a contributor to his decreased production than a fibular fracture he had in 2016.  

I think the back and the ankle did him in. He doesn’t have that killer instinct anymore. He doesn’t think, “dang it I’m going to win this game!” It’s more like, “I’m not going to get a sack or throw a pick so here we go.”

• Like 1