The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

Thanks for sharing. That was a fun four to five years of being a raider fan. Ingold might be a more athletic Jon Ritchie. Spider 2Y Banana for ingold inside the five has to be coming soon.

Al Davis didn’t love this offense. What would he think about Carr’s dining and dunking?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

So what would you call facing a top 5 defense with a bottom 5 WR group?

He's actually used his legs and played better under pressure this year, unless you want to deny that too based on the one sloppy pick vs Minnesota.

In game adversity. The Oline played lights out, Carr wasn't pressured and he managed the game. Week 3 is the only week he's faced real pressure and he looked terrible. 

Let's see how he progresses through the season. For the record, I am all for keeping Carr in 2020, but depending on how he finishes the season, I might draft QB round 1 to red shirt a year under him.

9 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

In game adversity. The Oline played lights out, Carr wasn't pressured and he managed the game. Week 3 is the only week he's faced real pressure and he looked terrible. 

Let's see how he progresses through the season. For the record, I am all for keeping Carr in 2020, but depending on how he finishes the season, I might draft QB round 1 to red shirt a year under him.

I don't buy this. He showed the ability to evade pressure against Indy. He has improved at doing it. You don't take sacks in 3 games just because of very good pass pro. His pocket presence is improving.

But you said he already is what he is? Why hold on to him if that's all he'll ever be?

For the record I want to build around him. And I think as the year goes on, he'll get even better.

Edited by MrOaktown_56

There were a few but I can’t remember who else wouldn’t bash Carr when the times got rough... felt like me against everyone lol.... excited to see if Zay Jones can be a thing with Carr... Carr and Crabtree were money, and Roberts looked like a baller until he got paid... Even Jordy Nelson looked good down the stretch last year, and Lefell had his moments with Carr 

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

"work on"? .... Riiiiiight

Dude has been in the league since 2014 and in that time shown he's a conservative QB who doesn't like to push the ball down the field. 

And what progression? He's the same guy he's been? Good game manager when not getting pressured. Erratic, sloppy and folds when under pressure. 

Time we all calling a shoe a shoe... he's a game manager. He can start and win you games when the situation is right. Faced with adversity, he's going to be a liability. 

A professional should always work on their craft.  This is true for everyone in their job.  Those that are not suck as employees.  I see it all the time.  Carr I hope is not one of those people.  He does have a ceiling but there are still parts of his game that are correctable.  He has the physical tools but the mentality of a game manager.  I can not argue that point.  What Carr has proven this year is that he is not completely broken and that he should have years like 2016 in the future.  His trajectory is going up right now partly because of how bad he looked the past couple years but also because he has become more comfortable.  You can say he is more comfortable because of the players around him, fear of injury is fading, second year in system,...  What ever it is it is getting better and I am all for riding this out if it keeps going like this.  If he proves to be a game manager that can get us to the playoffs his $20 million salary is justified relative to what the elite QBs are getting and going to get the next few years.

11 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You do realize he got no pressure because of his quick short throws.

No one is talking about Carr ability for comeback wins.

I guess that doesn’t fit your narrative.

Edited by Bitty 2.0

11 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I don't buy this. He showed the ability to evade pressure against Indy. He has improved at doing it. You don't take sacks in 3 games just because of very good pass pro. His pocket presence is improving.

But you said he already is what he is? Why hold on to him if that's all he'll ever be?

For the record I want to build around him. And I think as the year goes on, he'll get even better.

Because having someone manage the offense while you find a true franchise QB is better than having nothing. See how the Chiefs transitioned from game manager, Smith to their franchise QB Mahomes.

If he gets better, great. But he's been basically the same guy for a number of years now. He's somewhere between a Dak and Dalton. A guy who you can win with, but needs the right pieces around him starting with a strong running game. He'll never be a 300+ yard multiple TDs a game QB consistently. 

Any way... this argument is tired. To me, Carr is who he is. He will have the occasional wow game with great accuracy and poise and mix in the clunkers. He's a game manager, not a game changer. 

2 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

You do realize he got no pressure because of his quick short throws.

Yes, well aware. Which is why I struggle with him. You can't open the offense up deep with him. He's consistently been the lowest YPA QB in the league despite the coach and play caller.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SimonGruber said:

Not at all more sidebar homie 

Yeah it seemed like that but also had a tilt of qualifying the post.

In regards to the post though it makes sense that he has done well in the redzone sense that is how they move the ball (20yards or shorter) 75% of the time anyways. I'd say its 30% the offense playcalling, 30% personal or lack thereof, 40% reps i.e. timing and touch on the short and intermediate passing game.

7 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yeah it seemed like that but also had a tilt of qualifying the post.

In regards to the post though it makes sense that he has done well in the redzone sense that is how they move the ball (20yards or shorter) 75% of the time anyways. I'd say its 30% the offense playcalling, 30% personal or lack thereof, 40% reps i.e. timing and touch on the short and intermediate passing game.

We can cherrypick stats to fit one’s argument till blue in the face so I guess here’s the other side.