The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Yes, well aware. Which is why I struggle with him. You can't open the offense up deep with him. He's consistently been the lowest YPA QB in the league despite the coach and play caller.

True, I wish we had Pat Mahomes also but I don’t see another option.

The draft is a crapshoot, and a can’t miss QB comes out once every 10 years 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

We can cherrypick stats to fit one’s argument till blue in the face so I guess here’s the other side.

I'll take every receiver group mentioned there over the Raiders' except for maybe the Giants.

If Carr had a real WR group and he was still averaging 7 YPA, sure. But he has a bottom 5 WR group right now and is still moving the ball and converting on 3rd down while playing turnover free football. 

Gruden designs a lot of passes at the LOS that aren't super successful that drag Carr's YPA down. It's just the way the offense is ran.

Mahomes, Rodgers, Brees, Brady(history, not going forward)Wilson, Big Ben, Rivers, Watson, Wentz, Stafford are the only guys id take over Carr today. even Stafford is 50/50, then you have guys like Brady, Brees, Ben and Rivers that are in the twilight of their careers so who would you take moving forward? You can argue guys like Dak(yuck) Cam, Ryan but id take DC over those guys. I know there will be some young guys that will probably emerge. i just think Jackson wont last,Garrapolo is always hurt, Darnold hasnt proven much,Goff doesnt look all that great, Cousins is JAG, Jameis has looked better with Arians, but meh, i think Ryan and DC are about a wash and DC is younger and cheaper, Mayfield looks terrible, Kyler isnt lighting the world on fire etc. So i guess what im saying is the only guys that would rather take to run my team now and in the future over DC, is Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Watson and Wentz. Im not saying hes the 6th best QB, but when you factor age, contract situation etc, we could do alot worse than Carr. 

Which QBs would light it up with our current roster? Carr has proven he could do work with the right pieces around him. Just a thought. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

What about 2017? It was his third year with Cooper and Crabb, plus we added Cook and Lynch that year. Seam stretcher, weapons on the outside, and a run game. It’s not like he’s never had weapons. 

was that the Todd Downing offense? 

36 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

What about 2017? It was his third year with Cooper and Crabb, plus we added Cook and Lynch that year. Seam stretcher, weapons on the outside, and a run game. It’s not like he’s never had weapons. 

Those aren't legit weapons. 

-Crabs went on and did zero, retired a year after he was gone from here. 

-Cook is a career journeyman who is an average TE.  He benefited from us having trash around a him so Carr checked it down to him often which inflated his stats.  He was more the product of a system rather than being an above average player. 

-Lynch was a washed up bum.

-Cooper aka Houdini would have a big game then disappear for games on end.  He is not a legit, elite 1 but rather a high end 2 who flourishes when he is not the focal point of an O.

-Downing....  What more needs to be said about that? 

39 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

-Cooper aka Houdini would have a big game then disappear for games on end.  He is not a legit, elite 1 but rather a high end 2 who flourishes when he is not the focal point of an O.

Cooper is currently the focal point of the receivers in Dallas. I get you have to maintain your position on him because that is all this website is for is preening, bragging and validation seeking. But Cooper is Dallas's #1 WR and certainly has been everything they wanted and more for a 1st round pick. 

• Like 1

I’ll give him some credit, he engineered a game winning drive and made some clutch throws the past two weeks. However, if we get into a shootout or face an earlier deficit, which will likely happen in at least one of matchups the next two weeks, we will be in trouble. 

If he’s able to clean up some issues and win us some games, I’m all for it, but if he doesn’t, I have no problem moving on next year. I want him to become a better player. I’m not rooting against him, but I feel like I’ve been making excuses for him and holding out hope for the past three years. I could see them saying it is still tough to evaluate because of the loss of AB and getting one more year. Time will tell.

7 hours ago, SimonGruber said:

We can cherrypick stats to fit one’s argument till blue in the face so I guess here’s the other side.

There is really no arguement in respect to use being a team that mostly throws short or intermediate passes. What is yet to be really known but often assumed about is the reason for that being the case. I really dont care as long as we have more Ws than Ls.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NightTrainLane said:

There is really no arguement in respect to use being a team that mostly throws short or intermediate passes. What is yet to be really known but often assumed about is the reason for that being the case. I really dont care as long as we have more Ws than Ls.

Agree. But this kind of play won't fly in the playoffs where QBs need to elevate their games. That's my biggest issue with Carr, I don't see him as a guy who can carry your team deep in the playoffs. And I hope he proves me wrong. 

• Like 2

Given the success of the running game, I’d really like to see them dial up a couple more deep shots per game off of play action. They’re going to need to if they want to keep defenses honest as the season progresses. Carr has the skill set to make this work, too. Otherwise, I think the affinity for short passes is going to come back to bite them.