The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Cooper is currently the focal point of the receivers in Dallas. I get you have to maintain your position on him because that is all this website is for is preening, bragging and validation seeking. But Cooper is Dallas's #1 WR and certainly has been everything they wanted and more for a 1st round pick. 

First off I like how you how you point out he is the focal point of the receivers in Dallas.  That is debatable as Gallup has been targeted more an averaged more YPG. 

Zeke is clearly the focal point of that O and the player the D coordinator keys in on.  Heck Zeke is so good he makes Dak appear to be above average to the fair weather fan.  

They give up a 1st rounder and will have to pay him 17 million a year or else he walks. If you think they won that deal you clearly dont understand how to build a Super Bowl winning roster. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Agree. But this kind of play won't fly in the playoffs where QBs need to elevate their games. That's my biggest issue with Carr, I don't see him as a guy who can carry your team deep in the playoffs. And I hope he proves me wrong. 

He was carrying the team just fine with the short and intermediate passing game before the injury when the offense looked right. We will see if he can develop some kind of chemistry with someone on this wrs core like he had with Crab. It will go along way.

• Like 1

many on here think like Carr is supposed to light up the score board and win shootouts every week. Have you not seen our WR core?

the past two weeks he has managed the office nicely, taking care of the ball and being efficient, as our offense is leaning on the run game. This is how we need to win games this year, As long as we win ball games, I’m good.

• Like 3

On 10/9/2019 at 6:31 PM, NJ Raider said:

Thanks for sharing. That was a fun four to five years of being a raider fan. Ingold might be a more athletic Jon Ritchie. Spider 2Y Banana for ingold inside the five has to be coming soon.

Al Davis didn’t love this offense. What would he think about Carr’s dining and dunking?

I hoped someone would watch it. I hoped it might enlighten some of our younger fans on what our offense is and how it's supposed to look. 

Every post that says "deep shots" in it, proves to me that they don't even know what offense we are running.

Thanks for pointing out about Al. He hated this offense, wanted us to take deep shots like we always had before.  This offense is about timing, accuracy, and playmakers breaking a tackle and making plays. Rich Gannon executed it beautifully, but having 2 HOF WRs and a top running game certainly helped him.

So when I say Carr needs playmakers at WR, it's not just because he needs them, this offense needs them.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, true2form said:

I hoped someone would watch it. I hoped it might enlighten some of our younger fans on what our offense is and how it's supposed to look. 

Every post that says "deep shots" in it, proves to me that they don't even know what offense we are running.

Thanks for pointing out about Al. He hated this offense, wanted us to take deep shots like we always had before.  This offense is about timing, accuracy, and playmakers breaking a tackle and making plays. Rich Gannon executed it beautifully, but having 2 HOF WRs and a top running game certainly helped him.

So when I say Carr needs playmakers at WR, it's not just because he needs them, this offense needs them.

First Gannon had a water pistol of an arm but would still take shots 20-30 yards down the field when the opportunity was there.  I do not think anyone was specifically saying throw the 60-70 yard bomb on the first drive like Al use to call for.  Carr has the arm talent to drive the ball down field but he chooses not to and has had issues with panicking that cause him to not allow the play to develop.  

Second if you never drive the ball downfield defenses will adjust.  Our head coach himself has criticized Carr for not taking shots downfield when he has called for them.  Saying it is the offensive systems fault is ignoring what our coach/play-caller/offensive designer has said. 

Third do I think Carr's plays better with better weapons? Yes.  Do I think he needs it to duplicate what Gannon did? No.  Your HOF WRs were 39 and 35 the first year they played together.  Not saying they were not good but they were not HOF level the 3 years they played together.  Both were top 15 WRs but neither were top 10.

Jacobs > Garner   Yardage is equal but Jacobs is on pace to have a lot more TDs 

Williams << Brown  Brown beats him by 200-300 yards but TDs are the same.

Waller < Rice Rice gets him because of TDs

Moreau >> Williams  4th option but it is worth pointing out since I had to compare Waller to Rice.  With injuries Moreau might get 600 yds and a few TDs compared to 300 yds and 3 tds.

Last the issues that drive most fans crazy about him is not the lack of throwing it deep alone.  It is the lack of throwing it the needed distance.  He is so cautious that he will check it down for 3 yards when he needs 8 because it is a higher percentage throw.  Problem is that it does not matter we are still punting.Throw it up and give your WR a chance sometimes.  

Carr is getting better and I think he can improve greatly with some better weapons and more self confidence but h is a work in progress.  I do not like it when fans say it is not his fault and I do not like it when fans say he can not improve while he is improving.There is no easy answer when it comes to getting another QB.   I would not give up everything for a great QB but I would not stay away from getting another possible great QB even when I have one.  So the answer to whether or not we replace Carr for me is it depends.  Is it all his fault? No.  Can he get better? Yes.

• Like 3

On the NFL site they track AIR Yards To the Sticks.  Carr ranks 35th at -3.1 yards.  Only Bridgwater, Falk, and Trubisky are worse out of QBs with at least 45 attempts.  Carr is also dead last in Intended Air Yards.  You can not expect the players to make a defender miss every time.  He needs to start throwing beyond the sticks especially on 3rd down.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

Second if you never drive the ball downfield defenses will adjust.  Our head coach himself has criticized Carr for not taking shots downfield when he has called for them.  Saying it is the offensive systems fault is ignoring what our coach/play-caller/offensive designer has said. 

When did Gruden say this?

I don’t understand all this talk about Carr not throwing for the needed yardage for first down.

This season Carr has been driving the offense down the field 80+ yards constantly and usually only gets stopped by a penalty.

Is Carr a game manager? I will call him a game manager plus.

He has the ability to get you timely first downs and has shown to be clutch at the end of the game.

Forget about the Texans, Dallas and Baltimore they played garbage teams and have inflated stats.

The Raiders beat three teams with great defenses all the while not being healthy on offense.

Just think about it the Raiders are 3-2 and haven’t played all their starters on offense once this year.