The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

@NYRaider Imo switching Carr for Alex Smith only makes picking Jordan Love more risky. Smith will be 36 next offseason, if Love does not work out you have nothing in a year or 2. Why not simply keep Carr while you take your shot.

Carr is under contract long term, is paid substantially less then a then a top 10 QB will demand nowadays, and gives us security of a decent 'floor' in terms of qb level play. He is a great security blanket as long as you don't have anything better.

Build your team via draft and FA, and whenever you see a guy you really believe in that actually can fall in your lap you take that shot. It might take 2 or 4 years but that chance will come. In the meantime Carr is good enough to win games if you have a good team, so you roll with him.

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

In a perfect world, I’d prefer to move on from Carr this offseason. Make a trade for Alex Smith (healthy) and then package two of our third round picks to move up into the second round and draft Jordan Love. 

Why would you trade for an older Derek Carr? Save the picks and just take Jordan Love. 

22 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Good chance Alex Smith never plays again. 

I rather take draft a QB and sign Kyler Sloter or Ryan Griffin.

Carr has reached his ceiling. Glennon coming in the game late was a message to Carr after the 2nd redzone turnover

Was Washington coming in late a message to Jacobs as well?

I honestly thought the same that is was a message to Carr, but then when the held Jacobs out, it didn’t seem as obvious.

Maybe it was honestly just because the game was out of reach and no need to risk injury.

• Like 1

Think Love might slip to the 4th with more INT’s than TD passes. I’d take him with one of our 3rds. If we got a DE and WR in the 1st I’d be willing to package the rest of our picks for #32 if a QB fell to get that 5th year option. Then both sides of the ball got upgraded and Carr has two seasons to ball out or the guy behind him takes over. I’m not a long term fan of Lamar Jackson but Ravens handled that perfectly by covering Flacco with Jackson. Jackson’s running will probably shorten his career but build the team 5th year him and franchise if you have to but also draft a backup who could replace him when injuries occur. Also gives an insurance policy if he holds out 5th or franchise. Cam was great when healthy but took a beating and is a lot bigger and better than Jackson. Seeing Cam’s injuries the past few years makes me think mobile QB’s need to be known for passing by that 5th year or watch out. Steve Young was that guy. A scrambling QB who became more known for his passing once the job was his.

All that said I’m hoping we’re using draft capital to acquire players to win now. Keep one 3rd to move up with our 1sts or trade down to get back the capital we use this week.

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

Was Washington coming in late a message to Jacobs as well?

I honestly thought the same that is was a message to Carr, but then when the held Jacobs out, it didn’t seem as obvious.

Maybe it was honestly just because the game was out of reach and no need to risk injury.

Considering Jacobs left the game earlier to an injury, it was precautionary. Carr generally never leaves the game even in a blowout

58 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Considering Jacobs left the game earlier to an injury, it was precautionary. Carr generally never leaves the game even in a blowout

Remember when the Patriots pulled Brady against the Chiefs and we thought that was the end of Brady? Sometimes the game is over and you just need to get out of there. Tbh Carr wasn’t bad enough to prompt a QB change. Watch Rosen, Winston, Mariota and Manning’s games if you want to see what QBs who should be benched look like. Carr hasn’t been particularly elite but i will say that when i was watching the Patriots/Jets game last night the Pats offense reminded me of the Raiders. Now before you say I’m saying Brady=Carr no that’s not what i mean at all. I’m saying that the offense can work because the patriots run it pretty well. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Remember when the Patriots pulled Brady against the Chiefs and we thought that was the end of Brady? Sometimes the game is over and you just need to get out of there. Tbh Carr wasn’t bad enough to prompt a QB change. Watch Rosen, Winston, Mariota and Manning’s games if you want to see what QBs who should be benched look like. Carr hasn’t been particularly elite but i will say that when i was watching the Patriots/Jets game last night the Pats offense reminded me of the Raiders. Now before you say I’m saying Brady=Carr no that’s not what i mean at all. I’m saying that the offense can work because the patriots run it pretty well. 

I was typing up something similar last night and decided to avoid the fire fight.  Brady runs the Patriot offense very similar to what we are trying to do.  It's pretty much what he has done his entire career outside of when he had Moss.  6 of his 20 years he's had 6.9 y/a or less, which makes him a bum in Bay's eyes or at the very least he'll never be an elite QB :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chali21 said:

You cant compare Brady and the Patriots , possibly the best ever player the NFL has ever seen to Carr and the Raiders 

2 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

You cant compare Brady and the Patriots , possibly the best ever player the NFL has ever seen to Carr and the Raiders 

Sure I can.

First 6 years of starting

84 starts 63.5 % 20,149 yds 130 TD 58 int 6.7 y/a 

95 starts 61.9% 21,558 yds 147 TD 78 int 7.2 y/a 

Carr has the rest of the season to improve his numbers. Of course you'll point to the records and championships, but anyone who gives credit to Brady for those is immediately disqualified from any argument. He made the plays he had too back then, but they won in spite of him back then. Might even call him a game manager.

I can't make this stuff up 🤔

7 minutes ago, true2form said:

Sure I can.

First 6 years of starting

84 starts 63.5 % 20,149 yds 130 TD 58 int 6.7 y/a 

95 starts 61.9% 21,558 yds 147 TD 78 int 7.2 y/a 

Carr has the rest of the season to improve his numbers. Of course you'll point to the records and championships, but anyone who gives credit to Brady for those is immediately disqualified from any argument. He made the plays he had too back then, but they won in spite of him back then. Might even call him a game manager.

I can't make this stuff up 🤔

Bad comparison. Brady was a system QB his first six seasons while in the weight room developing better arm strength 24/7 and devouring film basically on a 24/7 basis as well. Brady is where he is with work ethic. 

Carr already came into the league with a monster arm. He has felt phantom pressure since college, something Brady has never felt. Average at best pocket presence. Bradys has always been good. Carr has always been kind of a “dumb” QB hence the mistakes and 20 wonderlic score (the lowest starting QB score in the league besides Lamar Jackson). 

Theres no comparison between Brady and Carr. 

• Like 1