The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

7 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Thing is, even if he doesn't play well this week, I still believe. I've been seeing some of the things I thought he was capable of and hoped he'd prove. Again, one step at a time, but I have on reason to stop backing DC

Same. He's found his stride. The biggest issue I've always had with Carr is how he tends to fade under pressure. Having this caliber Oline is proving worth every penny. 

Chargers have some pass rushers who could make things interesting. Looking forward to seeing how he responds if he's not as clean as usual.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Same. He's found his stride. The biggest issue I've always had with Carr is how he tends to fade under pressure. Having this caliber Oline is proving worth every penny. 

Chargers have some pass rushers who could make things interesting. Looking forward to seeing how he responds if he's not as clean as usual.

I think he’s gotten better moving around and using his “athleticism”. That final TD he threw against the lions certainly showed that. 

Although i expect a lot of dink and dunk to slow down the pass rush and take advantage of their defense’s weakness the linebackers. Of course this will frustrate the big play crowd but it will certainly be the best way to win the game. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I think he’s gotten better moving around and using his “athleticism”. That final TD he threw against the lions certainly showed that. 

Although i expect a lot of dink and dunk to slow down the pass rush and take advantage of their defense’s weakness the linebackers. Of course this will frustrate the big play crowd but it will certainly be the best way to win the game. 

This.

I expect Gruden's gameplan to be much like the one we had for Chicago. Run the ball down their throat and short, quick passing game.  That seems to be what we are best at anyway.

• Like 1

Gotta give credit when it's due, Carr has stepped up and improved his game this year. A lot of weaknesses of his game we have seen throughout the years, he has gotten better. He actually uses his legs every now and then, I've seen him hang tough in the pocket when muddied and make a big throw, he even gets outside the pocket and extends a play and makes a throw (see the GW beauty to Renfrow). The thing I love most is that it seems like Carrs fire is back. I hated that it seemed like once he got paid and hurt he turned into this timid ultra-conservative dude that i couldnt stand. Now with Gruden, you can tell he has been challenged and that 2016 dog is starting to come back. Big props to Carr for elevating his game back to top 12-15 status.

With that being said, am I sold on Carr being our long term QB? Although this 6 game stretch has been nice to watch, I need to continue to see more.  Im sure Gruden does, too. But I have been impressed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Huuuuge props to Gruden as well. Quietly built this offense into a very QB friendly offense even though we lack WR talent. Top 3 Oline, Top 5 RB and probably a top 5 TE in Waller.

Imagine AB in this offense. Yikes. I think AB thought we were gonna suck and wanted out the day he was traded and created fake drama. Jokes on him, our offense is great. 

• Like 2

Just now, BayRaider said:

Imagine AB in this offense. Yikes. I think AB thought we were gonna suck and wanted out the day he was traded and created fake drama. Jokes on him, our offense is great. 

Imagine Josh Jacobs #s with the threat of AB on the outside. Probably would've led the league in rushing as a rookie

• Like 3

Yeah after the KC and MINN games was the first time I’ve seen this forum unite and come to the conclusion Carr sucks, outside of Frankie and OGX. Who woulda thought over the next six games he’d legit be a Top 6-7 QB in just about every stat and make this the best season of his career? None of us were just some weird Carr haters that wanted him gone no matter. I just wanted very good QB play and after 2 1/2 years I’m finally see consistent solid QB play. 

I do wanna see him keep it up though. Two very veryyyy bad defenses coming up. And while I’m not expecting a win @KC, he better be 5x better than the first KC game. 

I think they are forgetting to take the salary cap into consideration.  They have Mahomes on the cheap next year but he is going to cost $25 million in 2021 with 5th and maybe $40+ in 2022.  

Chiefs will have:

2020: 40 players and $23.5 cap space

2021: 29 players and $66 cap space (counting Mahomes $25)

2022: 12 players and $190 cap space ($43 for Mahomes)

Oakland will have:

2020: 33 players and $70 cap space

2021: 24 players and $163 cap space

2022: 16 players and $273 cap space

I only used the years we have Carr signed but we have a much better situation to help our QB.  Since they brought up our high priced o-line the difference between offensive is $13 million and the difference between Carr and Mahomes is $17 million.  So I would say they have invested in the weapons around Mahomes.  Next year the have $100 million tied up in offence and we have $98 million.  We also have more draft capital.  I really like Mahomes but I will take our situation over theirs.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah after the KC and MINN games was the first time I’ve seen this forum unite and come to the conclusion Carr sucks, outside of Frankie and OGX. Who woulda thought over the next six games he’d legit be a Top 6-7 QB in just about every stat and make this the best season of his career? None of us were just some weird Carr haters that wanted him gone no matter. I just wanted very good QB play and after 2 1/2 years I’m finally see consistent solid QB play. 

I do wanna see him keep it up though. Two very veryyyy bad defenses coming up. And while I’m not expecting a win @KC, he better be 5x better than the first KC game. 

ME. lol You even cited it.

I don't change my evaluation of a QB based on 1 game or 1 season. I have spent more time watching Carr film then any other player in the NFL probably. The kid is EXACTLY what you want in a QB. Wentz and Darnold are the only guys in the NFL I would take over Carr. He can make every throw in the book. His Football IQ is Elite. He is a plus Athlete. Has Ice Water running through his veins. He is a leader of men. Those things make you an Elite QB.