The Official Derek Carr Thread

Jerry

The Raiders are fine with Carr as their QB for the foreseeable future. As that video said, he's in that 15-20 range of QBs and you hope he continues to develop in key areas. We've seen a marked improvement in a few areas this season, but there are still some frustrating parts to his game as that gentleman said.

3rd and medium/long are still beyond frustrating as he is quick to take the route short of the sticks. That conservative robotic play . We see drives stall way to often in these spots. This is where you want to see him look to make more plays and extend drives. It's the difference between putting teams away and just playing not to loose. I hate the latter. 

I've always hoped Carr could have the career arc of a Stafford or Ryan and less a Dalton. For a time there, he looked like he was leveling off into that Dalton territory but he's been improving steadily every week. 

Safe to say QB is fine. Affordable, can win with him and he's progressing the right way into his prime. Continue to build talent around him and develop signal callers under him.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

The Raiders are fine with Carr as their QB for the foreseeable future. As that video said, he's in that 15-20 range of QBs and you hope he continues to develop in key areas. We've seen a marked improvement in a few areas this season, but there are still some frustrating parts to his game as that gentleman said.

3rd and medium/long are still beyond frustrating as he is quick to take the route short of the sticks. That conservative robotic play . We see drives stall way to often in these spots. This is where you want to see him look to make more plays and extend drives. It's the difference between putting teams away and just playing not to loose. I hate the latter. 

I've always hoped Carr could have the career arc of a Stafford or Ryan and less a Dalton. For a time there, he looked like he was leveling off into that Dalton territory but he's been improving steadily every week. 

Safe to say QB is fine. Affordable, can win with him and he's progressing the right way into his prime. Continue to build talent around him and develop signal callers under him.

This is where I’m at too. 

But the  biggest question is: can the Raiders win a Super Bowl with him?

i believe they can. Not this year but i believe with improvements on defense as well as a #1 WR the Raiders can make some noise and win a Super Bowl. I don’t think Carr will ever be an MVP candidate again but I think he can be the Raiders all time leader in every major QB category.

At the same time drafting and developing a guy like what the packers did with Farve would be pretty smart as well. 

15 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

But the  biggest question is: can the Raiders win a Super Bowl with him?

This has been my question for the last year. Can he win in the playoffs. And that will need to answer itself in time I guess.

But right now, I have my doubts of his ability to go toe to toe with a playmaking QBs in the playoffs and out dual him. If he's playing not to lose on 3rd downs in the playoffs...robotic and conservative then it won't work unless everything else is perfect. So hopefully he continues to progress as a playmaker when it's needed. 

It's odd how game on the line, he has to make plays to win he's rises up typically. But in game stretches when he can put teams away he plays conservatively. We need more of the former early in games if we want to take the next step towards dominating certain opponents.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Maybe don't throw stones in a glass house? You have some pretty clueless takes yoruself

Such as what? 

Carr being a top building block QB that most teams would love to build around, Cooper not being an elite #1 who doesn't deserve 17 million a season and getting rid of him was a good long term move, Trading Mack, not paying him 25 million and acquiring picks was a good move, M. Bryant and DGB had all the physical talent in the world to be elite WR's in the NFL but their success was contingent on drive and willingness to learn the position.  What is so outlandish or wrong about anything that I have stated?  

Yeah I said those thing and still stand by them.  I'm not a flip flopping homer like most of you who spew trash then try to make excuses as to why you're so clueless.  

12 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Lol you're delusional.  So many of you were calling for his head last season it wasn't funny.  Completely blind to the intelligence of what Carr was doing.  

Some of the replacements you guys wanted for Carr (Fitztrash, Foles, T. Taylor) were comical or wanting to mortgage the house and trade up for Murray and better yet when I asked you guys to list Qb's better than Carr I saw things like Dalton, , Mayfield, Darnold, Finley, Trashbinski, Tannehill.... 

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried. 

I just can't believe people can watch football and be so clueless.  

Carr has been above average this season, not great, and has had an elite running game and arguably the best OL in the league to lean on. Carr's issue has always been that he doesn't play well when he's getting hit and pressured. When we can keep him upright he's an above-average quarterback as we're seeing again this year. You're acting like Carr is Aaron Rodgers/Patrick Mahomes and we were all just complete idiots for not blindly following him when he has won like 10 games the previous 2 seasons. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Such as what? 

Carr being a top building block QB that most teams would love to build around.

I don't think most teams would want to build around him though. He needs an elite offensive line to be successful and is just an above-average player, nowhere near close to elite...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think most teams would want to build around him though. He needs an elite offensive line to be successful and is just an above-average player, nowhere near close to elite...

Then name the Qb's that are better building blocks than Carr. You're saying "most teams"  which means you have at least 17 Qb's as better building blocks than Carr.  Let's hear them...

35 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Then name the Qb's that are better building blocks than Carr. You're saying "most teams"  which means you have at least 17 Qb's as better building blocks than Carr.  Let's hear them...

People just don’t want to believe that Carr is one of the top young quarterbacks in the league.

It’s That simple

14 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

People just don’t want to believe that Carr is one of the top young quarterbacks in the league.

It’s That simple

It's not surprising as people believe a lot of garbage especially what the MSM vomits all over them.  It's pretty remarkable how little people can think for themselves these days.  

@NYRaider says things like, "most teams (at least 17 teams) wouldn't want to build around Carr", then I ask for 17 better building block QB's than Carr and silence.  Exactly what I mean when someone spews nonsense and can't back it up....  then the excuses start flowing.  It's actually quite fascinating.

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

It's not surprising as people believe a lot of garbage especially what the MSM vomits all over them.  It's pretty remarkable how little people can think for themselves these days.  

@NYRaider says things like, "most teams (at least 17 teams) wouldn't want to build around Carr", then I ask for 17 better building block QB's than Carr and silence.  Exactly what I mean when someone spews nonsense and can't back it up....  then the excuses start flowing.  It's actually quite fascinating.

You literally enjoy taking time out of your day just to throw shade at people don’t you 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Patrick Mahomes 

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Dak Prescott

DeShaun Watson

Jared Goff

Russell Wilson

Kyler Murray

Lamar Jackson

Matt Ryan

Jimmy Garopollo 

Baker Mayfield

Carson Wentz

Sam Darnold 

Drew Brees

Kirk Cousins

Edited by NYRaider

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I don't sit on this forum all day. I replied once I got back on. Carr is an above-average player putting up above-average numbers behind an elite OL with an elite running game. What happened when he went head to head with Aaron Rodgers, DeShaun Watson, and Patrick Mahomes this season? Did he look like a top-flight, elite signal-caller? 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Patrick Mahomes 

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Dak Prescott

DeShaun Watson

Jared Goff

Russell Wilson

Kyler Murray

Lamar Jackson

Matt Ryan

Jimmy Garopollo 

Baker Mayfield

Carson Wentz

Sam Darnold 

Drew Brees

Kirk Cousins

What more need to be said than this?  Either he doesn't even understand the question or he can't comprehend what a building block QB is.  That fact that you listed 42 year old Tom Brady over Carr clearly shows a lack of comprehension.  

I won't even address some of the other average at best Qb's or the one with less than 1 year of NFL experience.  Clearly not worth my time....